• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jon Smith

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2021
    Warsaw
    You guys got me to thinking about this a lot the last few days. I have had a very busy summer with not a lot of trigger time.

After breakfast I unloaded and double checked my carry gun.
    I made ready and when my clock hit the nxt minute I drew.

Holy canola oil! Took me two to three minutes just to get my sweatshirt off. Think I had better practice a little more, maybe even go back to the summer wardrobe! :)

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    You guys got me to thinking about this a lot the last few days. I have had a very busy summer with not a lot of trigger time.

Holy canola oil! Took me two to three minutes just to get my sweatshirt off. Think I had better practice a little more, maybe even go back to the summer wardrobe! :)
    Now tell us true...how many people have torn a piece of clothing?

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Of course it matters, but no one on the planet can spot every single attack before it happens.

I’d agree and also add. Awareness is becoming a lost art, and it’s not just the Gen Y and Z folks. I mean the fact your hard pressed to find a new car without an alarm to check for items in the rear seat should be a sign of the times.

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg

You don't have to get naked first although that may act as a pretty good self defense choice.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Paying attention and spotting pre attack indicators buys you time and gives you more options, but it doesn't prevent an ambush or attack from happening.
    Correct...situational awareness doesn't not prevent an attack, it just gives you the 1-2-3 seconds advantage in order to begin to prepare to defend oneself, which can be all the difference in the world for avoiding, thwarting, or surviving an attack!
    Being able to access your weapon (aka, how you carry a weapon, matters) in a 1-2 second scenario, matters as well...carrying under multiple layers of clothing, or wearing clothing that gets hung up, is an issue...as is having your hands full while carrying something, can impede one's ability to respond to a situation that presents itself.
    The problem I've seen, with most 'fast-draw' artists (at least at the local outdoor range) is that they put too much emphasis on the speed of the draw itself and miss their first (and second) shots!
    Getting a good grip on the firearm and getting one's gun out of the holster, smoothly and efficiently, while still making the first shot count, is more important!

Last edited:

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    The Presentation Perfection is most overlooked by most casual gun owners. Some do not even employ a holster. Others have substandard equipment. Many have not practiced presentation during the night, one handed, reholstering while running, being able to run with a holstered firearm without fear of losing said piece, stealth mode presentations for POAR (point of aim ready dispatch), retrieve gun from under water, retention shooting, lying on ground, vision challenges, presenting without sights, weak hand, learn to present all platforms (you never know what perps recover gun you may be using), on knees, charging the pistol correctly, assembling the gun, and most of all studying WHEN to present.

Last edited:

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    We used to paint ball a lot. One of the fun games we used to do was the old duel.
    Back to back walk seven counted paces turn and fire.
    I was paint-balling going all the way back to the late '80's...what a blast!
    We go to a summer camp in Michigan every July 4th...and they have an outdoor paintball course there (on a hillside with a creek at the bottom) and it's our kid's #1 thing they look forward to every summer!!!
    My daughter goes to NW PA every summer to spend a week with her cousin's and they have an outdoor paintball course that they go too as well...fun times and fun memories for the kiddos!

Trevelayan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 11, 2014
    Putnam Co.
    From my standard carry rig, about 2-3 seconds to get shots on target depending on my clothing. In winter clothing it's toward the higher end, but in a T shirt I can stay right around 2.

From my competition rig, about 1.5 seconds to get on target at ~10 yards.

As long as I can consistently keep it under 3 I'm happy.

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    1.15-1.30
    concealed appendix is very similar to my draw time from my competition drop offset holster draw, either from surrender or hands at sides.
    My concealed from hip is slower in the 1.50-170 range

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    You can do way better. You are over confirming with the dot and quite possibly the irons. You could also be reacting too slow to the beep. (If that is your go signal) I am far from being the worlds fastest shooter, not even the fastest on this forum so if I can get decent times so can you. Here are some recent times running the Rangemaster SCAT drill (Short Combat Accuracy Test)
    Short Combat Accuracy Test (SCAT) I don't have video because it was just a practice session, but the numbers aren't all that impressive anyway.

RFTS-Q or IALEFI-QP silhouette

Scored: inner chest circle = 5, second chest circle = 4, head circle = 5, any hit in the torso outside the circles above the belt line = 2 points.

Hit factor scoring

5 yards Draw and fire 4 rounds to the chest 2.25 seconds
    5 yards From Ready, fire 1 head shot Do this twice .57 , .60
    5 yards From Ready, Dominant Hand Only, 3 rounds 1.86
    5 yards From Ready, Non-dominant Hand Only, 3 rounds 2.09
    7 yards Draw and fire 4 rounds 2.57
    10 yards Draw and fire 4 rounds 2.87

20 rounds total
    Possible score = 100 100

Record time for each stage, and add together for a total time. 12.81
    Divide total points by total time, for an Index. 7.806
    Multiply index by 20 for a final score. 156

Par score = 100. Goal is score above 100.

Examples:
    96 points divided by 23.6 seconds = 4.07 X 20= 81.4
    94 points divided by 20.2 seconds = 4.65 X 20= 93.1
    98 points divided by 12.98 seconds= 7.55 X 20= 151.0

80-100 Competent
    101-125 Advanced
    126+ Highly Skilled
    I ran this drill today. I scored a 88.22. I didn't have my best day today and I shot it cold as in it was the first drill and I was a little cold due to the wind, lol.

I'm not sure if the draws are supposed to be from concealment, but mine were and will be throughout the winter.

The looming issue I have is having the dot appear. There is not much difference in time between draw from the holster and shoot from ready. My draw times with the dot today ran from 1.31 to 2.84. With my Shield(iron sights) I ranged from 2.24 to 2.48 shooting the plate rack from 10 yards.

Bill drills took me just under 5 seconds at 10 yards. With my 1911 and my Shield I hover around the 3.5 second mark with the first shot just under 2 seconds.

I'm not really disappointed in this performance but I know I have a long ways to go.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I ran this drill today. I scored a 88.22. I didn't have my best day today and I shot it cold as in it was the first drill and I was a little cold due to the wind, lol.

I'm not sure if the draws are supposed to be from concealment, but mine were and will be throughout the winter.

The looming issue I have is having the dot appear. There is not much difference in time between draw from the holster and shoot from ready. My draw times with the dot today ran from 1.31 to 2.84. With my Shield(iron sights) I ranged from 2.24 to 2.48 shooting the plate rack from 10 yards.

Bill drills took me just under 5 seconds at 10 yards. With my 1911 and my Shield I hover around the 3.5 second mark with the first shot just under 2 seconds.

I'm not really disappointed in this performance but I know I have a long ways to go.
    I hear ya on the cold thing. I shot 200 rds yesterday but with the wind up here I should have stopped at 150 because by the end I was getting a little sloppy.

Draws from concealment? Yes. This is a defensive drill and should be shot as such.

It sounds like draw to first shot is definitely your biggest issue. Without seeing what you are doing I can't really give you too much advice. I will say that slow is smooth bs needs to die the same death as the misinterpreted "this is my safety" meme. See if anything HERE helps you.

I prefer the Half Test on a 3X5 to the Bill drill but that is because I am working accuracy at speed presently. Because you are looking for speed increases the Bill drill is fine but it is more about recoil control. Yes to get to the much sought after 2 second run you need a 1 second draw, but it doesn't appear your recoil control to a moderate sized target is too bad.

Remember use the drills like this one to find your weak areas and if possible work the heck out of them in dry practice.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I hear ya on the cold thing. I shot 200 rds yesterday but with the wind up here I should have stopped at 150 because by the end I was getting a little sloppy.

Draws from concealment? Yes. This is a defensive drill and should be shot as such.

It sounds like draw to first shot is definitely your biggest issue. Without seeing what you are doing I can't really give you too much advice. I will say that slow is smooth bs needs to die the same death as the misinterpreted "this is my safety" meme. See if anything HERE helps you.

I prefer the Half Test on a 3X5 to the Bill drill but that is because I am working accuracy at speed presently. Because you are looking for speed increases the Bill drill is fine but it is more about recoil control. Yes to get to the much sought after 2 second run you need a 1 second draw, but it doesn't appear your recoil control to a moderate sized target is too bad.

Remember use the drills like this one to find your weak areas and if possible work the heck out of them in dry practice.
    I am a firm believer if I shoot slow, I will get good at shooting slow. If you never push the speed, how are you going to get fast?

I can spend days at the range shooting smooth and slow. And you know what? I am fairly accurate. I did a small drill today where I focused on grip and put 5 rounds into a 2.5" dot on the target 10 yards away. The 5 were all in the dot. But run the same thing fast and I start shooting outside of the dot, usually low, but not left!

On a couple occasions, I have let it rip on a Bill Drill and was surprised to see a tighter group so I know I can do it. It's a matter of putting all the pieces together for those brief seconds of work.

I have watched that video. I'll watch it again.

I do a similar test to the half test where I put 5 rounds in a playing card target in 5 seconds. The playing card is larger than an actual card, probably 3 X 5.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I will say that slow is smooth bs needs to die the same death as the misinterpreted "this is my safety" meme. See if anything HERE helps you.
    I love this line in the video about recording yourself trying to be fast, "why do we want to try and go fast? Because when we go slow we don't do goofy ****. It's when you go fast that you introduce useless phrenetic motion because that's what people think fast is. If you don't go fast you don't know how you're goofy."

Makes sense. I hadn't really though about it that way much before.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom