• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Randy Harris

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Timers provide evidence of just how fast you really are accomplishing the task. Otherwise it is like lifting weights that do not have numbers on them ....it may "feel" heavy but you don't really know how heavy the weight is since it does not say so you are just guessing. Numbers stamped on weights and shooting with a timer allows you to know how strong or how fast you are and allows you to track progress.

Video provides evidence of what you are actually doing when you are performing a task (instead of what you THINK you are doing) and it then allows you to tweak your technique. It also filters out the liars and BSers because any one can say anything....but video doesn't lie ....unless you are one of the Instagram posers who speeds up his videos....

If you are not scoring and/or timing your practice sessions then you are just plinking.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    All hypothetical scenarios aside, I've gotten much better with both speed and accuracy since using a timer. What can be measured can be improved. It also adds a focus and intentionality to training that helps me know what to work on.

No doubt and concur!

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Don't know, don't care.
    If I ever get in a situation where a bad guy (or bad guys) has the drop on me... I'm screwed anyway.
    That's why you keep you head out of your phone...
    You want to be able to spot the signs of trouble before it happens. (situational awareness)
    Slow is smooth, smooth is fast. (or so they say)
    Besides, if you can't do it under duress... it doesn't matter now does it?
    I'm with ya...stay ahead of the curve by having good situation awareness and one's head on a swivel!
    A fast draw isn't the most important part in a self-defense situation...getting a good first-shot strike (aka, think 'effective shot placement') is more important in a self-defense situation!
    Practice does improve skills...and the applied theory of 'slow is smooth, smooth is fast' aids in developing those skills...and is a key part of building muscle-memory.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    After a lot of practice I can run Mozambique in under 2 seconds fairly consistently. For those not familiar it’s draw and fire 2 to the chest and one to the head. We run it at about 5-7 yards.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I'm with ya...stay ahead of the curve by having good situation awareness and one's head on a swivel!
    A fast draw isn't the most important part in a self-defense situation
    The problem with this line of thinking is that the attacker always gets to set the time and place of the attack. You are at a deficit 100% of the time. Situational awareness is great, but you will still only recognize a threat after the bad guy initiates it.

Trying to draw from the drop is dumb. Having a fast draw makes it more likely your counter ambush will be successful should you chose to wait your turn and make one.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    After a lot of practice I can run Mozambique in under 2 seconds fairly consistently. For those not familiar it’s draw and fire 2 to the chest and one to the head. We run it at about 5-7 yards.
    Now run it with only three rounds in each mag and force yourself to reload at least 1x as well.
    (This is a drill I run very often.) MantisX is on the holiday wish list.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    Now run it with only three rounds in each mag and force yourself to reload at least 1x as well.
    (This is a drill I run very often.) MantisX is on the holiday wish list.
    Reload drills are important and we throw that in occasionally. Naturally it really extends the time.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Timers provide evidence of just how fast you really are accomplishing the task. Otherwise it is like lifting weights that do not have numbers on them ....it may "feel" heavy but you don't really know how heavy the weight is since it does not say so you are just guessing. Numbers stamped on weights and shooting with a timer allows you to know how strong or how fast you are and allows you to track progress.

Video provides evidence of what you are actually doing when you are performing a task (instead of what you THINK you are doing) and it then allows you to tweak your technique. It also filters out the liars and BSers because any one can say anything....but video doesn't lie ....unless you are one of the Instagram posers who speeds up his videos....

If you are not scoring and/or timing your practice sessions then you are just plinking.
    The use video is a good Point. This is what we ran into with the specialty teams was some range integrity. We had national standards in drawing from the holster, reloads, transition drills and 3 or 5 point shoulder drills with rounds on paper. This was practiced throughout the year then done under a regional trainers eye during annual certification.

I was one of the regional trainers that certified teams. The problem was it over years started to be a cheat to win thing. Sloppy methods for the best time to out do the other guy where follow up shots couldn’t be made all kinds of stuff. Several folks had to reshoot several times which defeated the purpose as well as you don’t get to “warm up” in real life

So we completely got away from timers for 2 years to build back basics and when we implemented timers back in we also used video. You don’t realize what you do sometimes til you can see yourself. So video is up there with timers as well as long as you don’t speed it up to look cool LOL

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I run that drill a few times each range visit. I'm not sure what my time is but I think it's probably around 3+ seconds from 10 yards. (I run most all my drills from 10 yards.)

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Though there is some argument over the subject, an actual Mozambique as taught by Cooper would be two to the body, return to Guard, asses, and if needed fire one to the head. As mostly performed today it is a failure drill with most people just shooting 2 to the body 1 to the head as fast as they can.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Though there is some argument over the subject, an actual Mozambique as taught by Cooper would be two to the body, return to Guard, asses, and if needed fire one to the head. As mostly performed today it is a failure drill with most people just shooting 2 to the body 1 to the head as fast as they can.
    Yes, that is what I do. Two to the chest, one to the head as fast as I can. I also log it as a "Failure drill" in my book. I can't spell Mozambique anyways. :)

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Moving out to 10 yards would definitely slow me down.
    I don't know if it's smart or not, but I was doing a lot at 5-7 yards and then decided to back up to 10 yards thinking if I can get proficient at that range, closer should be taken care of. I shot a couple carry gun matches this year and a steel challenge and most of the targets were 10 yards or farther.

It is a little frustrating at times when I don't meet par times that the drills list, but I'm okay with it.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Yes. The gamer MZB can create a training scar.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    The problem with this line of thinking is that the attacker always gets to set the time and place of the attack. You are at a deficit 100% of the time. Situational awareness is great, but you will still only recognize a threat after the bad guy initiates it.

Trying to draw from the drop is dumb. Having a fast draw makes it more likely your counter ambush will be successful should you chose to wait your turn and make one.
    The issue, as you present it, is a lack of awareness of being able to recognize behavioral signs, in advance, that predict an ambush...or you're putting yourself into a position where an ambush could occur?
    Paying attention to what (and who and their behavior) is going around you is key to visually seeing the (potential) threat and being ready to take action to defend / protect yourself against attack before it becomes an ambush! Thinking correctly and knowing how to recognize various behavioral characteristics, matters!

Last edited:

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Thinking correctly and knowing how to recognize various behavioral characteristics, matters!
    Of course it matters, but no one on the planet can spot every single attack before it happens. And even if you do spot something before an actual attack is launched, that doesn't mean you're going to pull a gun in every one of those scenarios.

Paying attention and spotting pre attack indicators buys you time and gives you more options, but it doesn't prevent an ambush or attack from happening.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom