Homeschool friendly insurance companies?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    State Farm is who we are currently with. I've been with them for 30+ years.

Our oldest just got his license. When we called our agent's office we were told that we might not qualify for the good student discount, which is like $540/year! All because we homeschool and SF requires an OFFICIAL transcript.

Since Indiana doesnt require detailed logging and reporting, our self created (yet still legit) transcript with his GPA "might not be accepted, but we can try." They said they would also take official standardized test scores like the SAT and ACT because those would DEFINITELY be accepted. Neither of which he is due to take. And he probably wont as its not necessary to get into college as a homeschooler. (Many schools will just put you on academic probation the first semester so you can prove yourself)

So we are starting to explore other options. Any recommendations? For or against.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    When mine started driving, this is what I told both of them. I will keep the insurance on the one you drive right up until you get a ticket or are in a accident and I get a letter from State Farm that I need to add you, sign a waiver that you will not drive my rides or get a separate policy.
    And if that happens you will be on your own with insurance after that.
    State Farm had not idea that they were driving at all, I don't call them when my brother, sister or neighbor borrows my truck. Around 18-19 they got there own policys.
    A few years later I left SF and went to Geico and have been satisfied with them for car, motorcycle and truck insurance.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I know a few home schooling families. It appears they are part of some kind of Coop that consults on materials and yearly goals for learning. They go to monthly meetings with other families. I would think guidelines of a sanctioning body would help with credibility.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Erie Insurance has been no problem for us (AAA gave us no problems with the kids either.). Have had several acquaintances share “issues” with State Farm such that I won’t even consider them at this point.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I know a few home schooling families. It appears they are part of some kind of Coop that consults on materials and yearly goals for learning. They go to monthly meetings with other families. I would think guidelines of a sanctioning body would help with credibility.
    We do coop every friday. You can also do multiple coops if you choose. Last year we did one in martinsville and one in plainfield. Mooresville sadly does not have an active coop that we found that does it weekly.

Reactions: Leo

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Just a thought…..Take the young people to the nearest school that does GED testing and let them test and surpass (I think they would) the minimum standards test. The Ind. State GED issues an Honors Diploma for higher scores. With the accompanying paper work. And a congratulatory letter. You could at least ask your insurance co. if that would satisfy the requirement. You could ask before you went to the trouble. The cost savings (insurance) may be well worth the cost. (Testing). Just a thought.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I hadn't even thought of that issue. Starting at 9th grade, we were "part time" home schoolers with our kids in an online charter school, so we had regular transcripts (and later official diplomas...not that this was a big deal to us).

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    You may want to get your son to take the PSAT as a sophomore. (Usually take SAT / ACT as junior or early senior year.) Other than the effort and minor cost, really there's no downside. It would help see how he compares to his peers in an independent way. And even if not 100% "required" there are certainly advantages to taking SAT and/or ACT before finishing high school.

I got a nice scholarship out of my PSAT score for being a NMS...

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Find an Independent Agent affiliated with Indiana Farmers Insurance. We switched 2 years ago and saved around $1,200.
    I second Farmers. I just switched last month and saved $1300 a year on homeowners, but do pay $100 more per year on 3 vehicles(worth it in every way).

Top Bottom