• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Does anyone else remember going to “Holiday World” when it was “Santa Claus Land”? All of the rides were tiny and Christmas themed. They also had lots of things like live chickens in a case that would do stunts or play the piano when you deposited a quarter. At the end of the “act” they were rewarded by the machine with a small bit of corn. I doubt those machines would be legal today.

I remember it being Santa Claus Land but don't remember much other than the train and one of the spinning rides, and that's mostly from photos. I think we only went once or twice when I was little.

IronHammer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2017
    SW Indiana
    Does anyone else remember going to “Holiday World” when it was “Santa Claus Land”? All of the rides were tiny and Christmas themed. They also had lots of things like live chickens in a case that would do stunts or play the piano when you deposited a quarter. At the end of the “act” they were rewarded by the machine with a small bit of corn. I doubt those machines would be legal today.

May fond memories of Santa Claus Land, then Holiday World. My family started going there in the 70's when I was a kid and it was just some chickens and the Freedom Train. They added the Tilt-A-Whirl, motorboat pool and Octopus ride in the 80's. Had many fun outings there with my own kids over the years. Recently it's become a bit of a zoo though. Everytime we go, there's just too many people, but then again, I don't like crowds. One of my hobbies is hunting down and collecting Santa Claus Land memorabilia.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    May fond memories of Santa Claus Land, then Holiday World. My family started going there in the 70's when I was a kid and it was just some chickens and the Freedom Train. They added the Tilt-A-Whirl, motorboat pool and Octopus ride in the 80's. Had many fun outings there with my own kids over the years. Recently it's become a bit of a zoo though. Everytime we go, there's just too many people, but then again, I don't like crowds. One of my hobbies is hunting down and collecting Santa Claus Land memorabilia.

Early/late season midweek days and it's usually not crowded at all. We had season tickets for years and went a lot of Tuesdays and Wednesdays. If you don't have to plan way ahead of time, look for a day that has a higher chance of rain. It seldom rains for long there and it keeps the crowd down, plus if it does rain for some period of time (2 hours, maybe?) you get free tickets for any other day that year.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Early/late season midweek days and it's usually not crowded at all. We had season tickets for years and went a lot of Tuesdays and Wednesdays. If you don't have to plan way ahead of time, look for a day that has a higher chance of rain. It seldom rains for long there and it keeps the crowd down, plus if it does rain for some period of time (2 hours, maybe?) you get free tickets for any other day that year.
    Was going to go this year but they are only open on the weekends now it appears for the remainder of the season.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Years ago, when my kids were in Bloomington schools, they started about a week later than everyone else which happened to coincide with HW’s last week of being opened during the week. It was great. The crowds were usually light and it was nice having the park almost to yourselves. When we moved, the new schools were on the early start time frame...and that sucked, by comparison. That place was a zoo—weekdays didn’t matter—still a zoo.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Years ago, when my kids were in Bloomington schools, they started about a week later than everyone else which happened to coincide with HW’s last week of being opened during the week. It was great. The crowds were usually light and it was nice having the park almost to yourselves. When we moved, the new schools were on the early start time frame...and that sucked, by comparison. That place was a zoo—weekdays didn’t matter—still a zoo.
    I wonder if the weekends when school is in are still a zoo…..

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    We drove down from Fishers with one daughter and grandkid from Avon, and one daughter and grandkid from Decatur twp, meeting son in Washington In.
    We picked up an hour when we got to HW, got there at noon.
    Water Park closes at 5pm. Amusement area 6pm, so we “Should” have gotten there about 10 am.
    Wave pool and some other water stuff was closed/shut down and by the time the kids changed and switched to rides it was already 4:30.
    I got our 8 tickets at a Veterans discount but still about $40 a ticket I think.
    We stayed overnight in Washington and visited our sons place the next day so I could pop off 50 rds of Blazer 165 gr .40 , in my Gen 3 G-22 with CT 205 red light/laser.
    Must be nice to live in the country and target shoot off your back porch.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Ha, my son can open his back door sit on his deck and blast away anytime, I would go broke buying ammo.
    I have fired 150 rds of .40 in two weeks, that’s $75.00 in ammo!

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I wonder if the weekends when school is in are still a zoo…..
    I’m thinking this time of year is gearing up for Halloween, so the campground is always packed full. My daughter and son in law always go in mid September and then again in October and camp with SIL’s family, they have a great time, but it’s always crowded.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I appreciate you guys trying to include me, but I don't want to be in a rain of asbestos, lead, dead rats, and whatever else is in this ceiling. :D

Top Bottom