• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Anyone have a real life experience at holiday world? (I know I am not riding a coaster with a firearm) bag checks? Metal detectors? Or just the big discriminatory signs?

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    So I guess if everyone passes through the detectors……. Atleast it is an even playing field… was just hoping to hear from someone who has actually been. Really tired of missing out on things with the family because of these morons.

I think if a place denies you the right to self protection / 2A they should be held solely responsible for anything that happens to you within their restricted areas. I think that would cut down on the “throwing up the signs or disarming to cover thier a$$”

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I went earlier this year. I didn't carry a bag and just walked through the detectors.

I'd also hate to miss out on things with my family because I can't carry. So I don't. I could have been killed in a car crash on my way there. I'm not going to carry the gun down a water slide. I carry where I can, but if there's something I want to do that precludes it, from a theme park to foreign travel, I do it. I'm going to die from something some day anyway, I'm enjoying whatever time I have. Make your own decisions, but I'm not that afraid.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    There's an older thread about it here somewhere....
    Yeah, and didn’t one of the owners of the park chime in on that one?

Anyway, I carried there quite a few times, but that was several years ago when my kids were young. I don’t think they had metal detectors back then but they did the bag search. It’s not a riff raffy type place, I can’t imagine them letting anything get out of hand there, but who knows anymore?

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    They have detectors but not well monitored. I went about a month ago. Bags had to be off of the stroller but weren't even looked through. I didn't try to carry as I was going to be at the water park most of the day.

I'd say if it's that big of a deal to you, pack a bag, put gun in bottom with snacks and whatever on top. You'll be fine.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I went earlier this year. I didn't carry a bag and just walked through the detectors.

I'd also hate to miss out on things with my family because I can't carry. So I don't. I could have been killed in a car crash on my way there. I'm not going to carry the gun down a water slide. I carry where I can, but if there's something I want to do that precludes it, from a theme park to foreign travel, I do it. I'm going to die from something some day anyway, I'm enjoying whatever time I have. Make your own decisions, but I'm not that afraid.
    not afraid. If I knew when I would need a gun I wouldn’t go to that place to begin with. If I knew when I needed life insurance I would only pay for the policy that day.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    They have detectors but not well monitored. I went about a month ago. Bags had to be off of the stroller but weren't even looked through. I didn't try to carry as I was going to be at the water park most of the day.

I'd say if it's that big of a deal to you, pack a bag, put gun in bottom with snacks and whatever on top. You'll be fine.
    This was my experience. And I wasnt even worried. I just left my gun in the hotel.

There is a WORLD of difference in the crowds between the State Fairgrounds, Santa Claus Land (Yeah, I said it! :): ), and other theme parks. Night and day.

I was there early in COVID and I didnt see one sketch person or group. It DEFINITELY attracts a different crowd than most venues. Maybe its because its perceived to be hokey and lame? Not at all. Would definitely go back and not worry about carrying.

EDIT: And since ownership frequents this place, I'll say this... "KEEP IT UP! You guys rock!"

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I live about 3 miles from Holiday World (Santa Claus Land) . It's one of the few Gun Free Zones I would be comfortable in. Great, clean, safe park. :rockwoot:
    Now I know where I'm staying next visit.

My only fear was getting caught in the crossfire of a Ford/Chevy or Deere/Case fight between redneck teens.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    not afraid. If I knew when I would need a gun I wouldn’t go to that place to begin with. If I knew when I needed life insurance I would only pay for the policy that day.

Point missed. Life has risks, and a gun doesn't address the vast majority of them. If you're tired of missing out on things with your family, then accept some risk. Or sit at home, lose out on those memories, and figure out if you aren't afraid why exactly you're missing out. I get risk mitigation, but how incredibly boring a risk free life would be.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Point missed. Life has risks, and a gun doesn't address the vast majority of them. If you're tired of missing out on things with your family, then accept some risk. Or sit at home, lose out on those memories, and figure out if you aren't afraid why exactly you're missing out. I get risk mitigation, but how incredibly boring a risk free life would be.
    Right? I have actually gone into both my local Kroger AND my local Walmart unarmed. It was exhilarating when I made it home alive. Doesn't happen often, but man, what a rush when it does! ;)

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    You’re making a lot of assumptions about me. I try to choose places that are not anti 2A or anti freedom for that matter. We get along just fine over here.

If I have the option of going to Illinois or New York vs Kentucky or South Dakota? I’d rather spend my money in a free state. Obviously if I want to see the Statue of Liberty compromises would have to be made.

So all I was asking is the policy and the protocol at said establishment. It makes me happy that they put everyone through the detectors and check all bags because if not that only keeps honest people from carrying. So thank you for your concern.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    You’re making a lot of assumptions about me.

I'm assuming nothing. I am responding to your words, quoted here:

Really tired of missing out on things with the family because of these morons

You can't be tired of something unless you're doing it, right? So you are missing out on things with your family, right? And doing so because you can't carry at the event your family is going, right? No assumptions involved, just a literal reading of what you wrote. If you're going with your family regardless, then we're on the same page. If you are staying home and letting your family go without you because of carry issues, I can't fathom it. If I thought it was remotely dangerous, that'd be even more reason for me to go, armed or not.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    You’re making a lot of assumptions about me. I try to choose places that are not anti 2A or anti freedom for that matter. We get along just fine over here.

If I have the option of going to Illinois or New York vs Kentucky or South Dakota? I’d rather spend my money in a free state. Obviously if I want to see the Statue of Liberty compromises would have to be made.

So all I was asking is the policy and the protocol at said establishment. It makes me happy that they put everyone through the detectors and check all bags because if not that only keeps honest people from carrying. So thank you for your concern.
    So if everyone passes through the detectors, how is it not serving it’s purpose? Or do they allow some to bypass the detectors while only taking a small sampling?

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    This was my experience. And I wasnt even worried. I just left my gun in the hotel.

There is a WORLD of difference in the crowds between the State Fairgrounds, Santa Claus Land (Yeah, I said it! :): ), and other theme parks. Night and day.

I was there early in COVID and I didnt see one sketch person or group. It DEFINITELY attracts a different crowd than most venues. Maybe its because its perceived to be hokey and lame? Not at all. Would definitely go back and not worry about carrying.

EDIT: And since ownership frequents this place, I'll say this... "KEEP IT UP! You guys rock!"
    So if some one were going North to visit a friend in Boone Grove would it be a good place to stop?

B737Mech

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2010
    Noblesville
    Been to Disney three times and four times to Holiday World, never going to Disney again, but I would go back to Holiday world. 20th anniversary gift to wife was sending her, one of my daughters, and the two grandkids to Disney last year. I stayed home and worked, still think I got the better part of that gift. :):

Top Bottom