• ...and so much more!
  • Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    ??

I carried at the NRA convention in Indianapolis. The Trump speech itself was a GFZ; something about the secret service and a sitting president... :dunno: But everything else was not...
    That's not really true either. Only one of the venues was a No Go. I think it was the Bridgestone Arena. The rest was fine if you were legal to do so.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    That's not really true either. Only one of the venues was a No Go. I think it was the Bridgestone Arena. The rest was fine if you were legal to do so.

The stadium where President Trump spoke had metal detectors and signs up, and I had to disarm before going to that speech. I assume that was the venue you're talking about? Maybe they decided to keep that area "sterile"? I don't recall any other speeches / events in that stadium. Everywhere else I went over 2 days was legal to carry, and I did so.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Seems odd that there would be metal detectors that they pay no attention to? Make you wonder if it's only the good guys who know this?

I worked in the Greenwood Park Mall for a few years. It sure seemed like a place you didn't need to carry... :n00b:

Indianapail

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Aug 13, 2020
    Brownsburg
    The only thing I took it as you depriving your family of was your company as I figured they'd go with or without you.

If I wanted to go to Chicago, I would. I'm not going to the hood at 2am to buy heroin. I'm smart enough to stick to well traveled areas in times those areas are populated, not pop off down alleys chasing Pokemon, gassing up at the stop-n-rob at midnight, or booking a stay at the local child molester long term stay motel. I assume all of these things apply to you as well. That you have decent situational awareness, reasonable decision making ability, and are not engaging in vice or sheer idiocy. So how dangerous is Chicago for someone who visits with that lifestyle? More dangerous than driving on the interstate? Operating a chainsaw? Camping under old growth? I don't *like* Chicago, but if I wanted to I'd go back because the miniscule risk is one I'm willing to assume, just as I assume the risk of a fatal car crash, a kickback cutting me, or a tree crushing me in my tent. All non-0% chance events that could kill me, so what makes those risks any different? Other than the media and certain marketing constantly puts fear of crime in our heads so it occupies an outsized slice of our concern?

Maybe it's simply the advantage of working violent crimes for so many years, but the amount of truly random crime that happens is pretty low. Even less if you avoid areas were drunks congregate at night, don't volunteer to be a victim by seeking out dope or whores, and don't wander off alone at night. Even less if you're a man. Even less if you pay attention and don't stick around when things start to look sketchy. People are more afraid than they need to be because the media makes a lot of money by making every crime seem relevant to every viewer. It isn't. I carry wherever I can because why wouldn't I, but I don't let the ability to carry be an overriding factor in decisions.

I get the political/economic argument, but here's the deal: It matters to nobody but you. The money you spend is inconsequential and you are not going to boycott a city into changing policies or even noticing unless you're bringing a mega-convention along with you. I resisted going to California for years because damn hippies, but seeing the Sequoias was worth it and more, let alone the rest of the experience. I will cherish that memory until I die much more than I'm concerned about some of my tax dollars going to California. So I get the argument, but it holds less sway over me than it used to.
    Agree 100% ^^

Guys it's Chicago not North Korea, gun or not be smart and you'll be fine. This notion that it's some lawless war zone is simply Incorrect. It's never worth missing out for a few days of not carrying.

Serious question: how does this fear arise? From a steady stream of news headlines or some made up enemy?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...how does this fear arise? From a steady stream of news headlines or some made up enemy?

You are confusing fear with being prepared. It's a poor argument, my friend.

Do you think our pal Eli was carrying in the Greenwood Park Mall because he was in fear of something?

Do you think tens of thousands of Indiana gun owners who get up every day and put on their pistol, along with their pants, are doing so out of fear?

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Agree 100% ^^

Guys it's Chicago not North Korea, gun or not be smart and you'll be fine. This notion that it's some lawless war zone is simply Incorrect. It's never worth missing out for a few days of not carrying.

Serious question: how does this fear arise? From a steady stream of news headlines or some made up enemy?
    My aversion to Chicago has nothing to do with crime. It's the fact that it has so many people and buildings. Without those things, I'm sure it would be very nice. :)

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    You are confusing fear with being prepared. It's a poor argument, my friend.

Do you think our pal Eli was carrying in the Greenwood Park Mall because he was in fear of something?

Do you think tens of thousands of Indiana gun owners who get up every day and put on their pistol, along with their pants, are doing so out of fear?

Not the context. Context is when do you skip things you want to do for fear you'll be caught out not carrying, not carrying when they're is no such decision to be made.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Not the context. Context is when do you skip things you want to do for fear you'll be caught out not carrying, not carrying when they're is no such decision to be made.

No such thing as me wanting to do anything where the safety of me and mine are compromised by someone else's false sense of security.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    My aversion to Chicago has nothing to do with crime. It's the fact that it has so many people and buildings. Without those things, I'm sure it would be very nice. :)
    Man, this will make me sound really old, but I loved Chicago back in the 70s. It was the first major city I’d ever been to, and the whole feel of it back then was incredible.

Couldn’t pay me enough to go there now.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Man, this will make me sound really old, but I loved Chicago back in the 70s. It was the first major city I’d ever been to, and the whole feel of it back then was incredible.

Couldn’t pay me enough to go there now.
    I've just never liked cities. Even as a little kid I hated it when Mom and Dad would take us to downtown Indy. Always made me feel claustrophobic.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I've just never liked cities. Even as a little kid I hated it when Mom and Dad would take us to downtown Indy. Always made me feel claustrophobic.
    Oh, I don’t like cities anymore, either, but back then, I thought it was the coolest thing ever. Then again, back then, going to Frischs for a sit down dinner was like dining in a five star restaurant!:):

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Oh, I don’t like cities anymore, either, but back then, I thought it was the coolest thing ever. Then again, back then, going to Frischs for a sit down dinner was like dining in a five star restaurant!:):
    I did like Frisch's! But we had one just a couple miles from us and didn't have to go to the city for it. :):

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

Last edited:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    When the kids were still at home we used to try to go every year. I really was (and I guess still is) a great value. The last few times we went, the boys were old enough to go do their thing. As for me, I spent the day in the water park. They wore the roller coasters out. The gun stayed in the car.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

I get everybody has a different risk tolerance, but wow, being worried about Holiday World because fights at Not Holiday World broke out, often among people who already knew each other, is just looking for something to be scared of. How many people that didn't choose to get involved got involved in those fights? But good example of the media driving fear. Literally hundreds of millions of people visit a theme park each year. Disney alone gets some 170 million+ visits. I'm not sure a media account of a couple of fights is really that big a deal given the numbers.

Which kills more people, going to a theme park or choking to death on food? How do you feel about an all prechewed diet? I mean, if your risk tolerance is that low it only makes sense. No way you drive on public roads. Driving to a theme park and then eating a corn dog must be like charging an enemy trenchline. 20% survival rate, tops :D

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I get everybody has a different risk tolerance, but wow, being worried about Holiday World because fights at Not Holiday World broke out, often among people who already knew each other, is just looking for something to be scared of. How many people that didn't choose to get involved got involved in those fights? But good example of the media driving fear. Literally hundreds of millions of people visit a theme park each year. Disney alone gets some 170 million+ visits. I'm not sure a media account of a couple of fights is really that big a deal given the numbers.

Which kills more people, going to a theme park or choking to death on food? How do you feel about an all prechewed diet? I mean, if your risk tolerance is that low it only makes sense. No way you drive on public roads. Driving to a theme park and then eating a corn dog must be like charging an enemy trenchline. 20% survival rate, tops :D

I appreciate your wisdom especially when i do not like to hear it.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

That's me, just a scaredy-cat. Afraid of my own shadow, because I choose to be prepared. ;) Gotcha...

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009

I'm not going. I might choke to death while eating a corndog at a theme park.

Top Bottom