• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    That's me, just a scaredy-cat. Afraid of my own shadow, because I choose to be prepared. ;) Gotcha...

Again, not the context and "prepared" is a scale, not a binary state.

Do you avoid doing things you would otherwise want to do because you can't carry a gun while doing that thing, regardless of how low risk that thing is?

That is the context, nothing more or less. If you would otherwise want to go to HW but don't because you can't carry, and you dig up fights at other theme parks to justify how dangerous HW is...yes, no purple is required. If you accept no risk, no matter how slight, to do the things that bring you enjoyment...why bother living?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I went earlier this year. I didn't carry a bag and just walked through the detectors.

I'd also hate to miss out on things with my family because I can't carry. So I don't. I could have been killed in a car crash on my way there. I'm not going to carry the gun down a water slide. I carry where I can, but if there's something I want to do that precludes it, from a theme park to foreign travel, I do it. I'm going to die from something some day anyway, I'm enjoying whatever time I have. Make your own decisions, but I'm not that afraid.
    Bingo.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Again, not the context and "prepared" is a scale, not a binary state.

Do you avoid doing things you would otherwise want to do because you can't carry a gun while doing that thing, regardless of how low risk that thing is?

That is the context, nothing more or less. If you would otherwise want to go to HW but don't because you can't carry, and you dig up fights at other theme parks to justify how dangerous HW is...yes, no purple is required. If you accept no risk, no matter how slight, to do the things that bring you enjoyment...why bother living?
    I see all sides here. But I also agree not to be set out because of this. Arguments can be made both ways.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Ok , taking my family there tomorrow 27 Aug 22, found this link in “Search” after typing in “Holiday World”.
    I may hove gotten the information I needed on page one, then the thread went ?!?
    Like always :)

I was going to CC my G-27 but…
    Boker Infinity ceramic blade, wooden old man hiking cane/stick and a “Please shoot me first” T-shirt, is all I will need I guess.
    I’ll find out tomorrow I guess about security there.
    On the way back we will be staying in Washington where my son lives, pretty safe around there I think, but you never really know do you?!?

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Ok , taking my family there tomorrow 27 Aug 22, clocked this link in “Search” after typing in “Holiday World”.
    I may hove gotten the information I needed on page one, then the thread went ?!? Like always :)
    I was going to CC my G-27 but…
    Boker Infinity ceramic blade, wooden old man hiking cane/stick and a “Please shoot me first” T-shirt, is all I will need I guess.
    I’ll find out tomorrow I guess about security there.
    On the way back we will be staying in Washington where my son lives, pretty safe around there I think, but you never really know do you?!?
    Yeah, read the whole thread. Here is a TL;DR
    Ownership has members here that are aware of these threads. They have even chimed in.
    Security is good and screening is thorough.
    Its a good park and the folks that go there arent your typical threat.
    So leave your weapons at the hotel/host house and go enjoy yourself. You guys will have a blast.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Noon in Santa Clause IN
    8 people Veterans discount all parks about $380 for tickets, we ate lunch at Micky D’s before the park $50.

Anyway I went right through the magtrometer carrying this…

F48D5CCF-FEA7-43F8-A25C-6C74BC1DD983.jpeg
    I left the Glock-22 at my sons house in Washington In, an hour away and feel naked.
    Busy diverse crowd about even by ethnicity B/W/H very few Asians including my wife.
    No problem with my big Gatlinburg walking stick either.
    I hope the kids and grandkids have fun, Granny is watching the littlest and I am wagon security, at the water park.

Should be a fun afternoon.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    :runaway: that scary battery could explode and kill someone!!! :runaway:
    Glad you are enjoying yourself. I too felt naked, but not afraid in the least. That part DEFINITELY attracts a certain crowd.

I guess the rude, violent city kids that cause trouble at places like Six Flags, State Fair, etc cant get their parents to drive them over an hour away for them to cause trouble there. :dunno:

Oh, and the water coasters there are AWESOME! I cant wait to go back.

Also, given the country crowd, they probably had to turn the sensors down a bit to discriminate against big belt buckles. So as long as your knife has less mass than a redneck belt buckle, you'll get through. :):

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    There used to be a six flags in Louisville, now it’s Kentucky kingdom, and is free to enter with admission to the Kentucky state fair, but, guess what the infinitely wise Louisville “leaders” decided to do? Yep, provide free or deeply discounted admission to “underprivileged” yutes, and of course, they also get free transportation to and from on TARC busses!

You just can’t make this **** up! There was an incident last weekend at the fair involving “underprivileged” kids and gunfire, and the “leaders” in Louisville just can’t figure out what went wrong!

I have a suspicion that Holiday worlds relatively remote location helps in keeping trouble at a minimum. No city bus line running to it, and not a leftist city or town council within 75 miles.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    There used to be a six flags in Louisville, now it’s Kentucky kingdom, and is free to enter with admission to the Kentucky state fair, but, guess what the infinitely wise Louisville “leaders” decided to do? Yep, provide free or deeply discounted admission to “underprivileged” yutes, and of course, they also get free transportation to and from on TARC busses!

You just can’t make this **** up! There was an incident last weekend at the fair involving “underprivileged” kids and gunfire, and the “leaders” in Louisville just can’t figure out what went wrong!

I have a suspicion that Holiday worlds relatively remote location helps in keeping trouble at a minimum. No city bus line running to it, and not a leftist city or town council within 75 miles.
    DING DING DING DING!!!! WINNER WINNER, CHICKEN DINNER!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

It was Kentucky Kingdom first. I remember when they built it. It immediately went bankrupt, sat for a year or two, and then some other guy bought it, fixed it up, and made it successful. He sold it to Six Flags at some point, maybe 5 or 6 years later. Then Six Flags went bankrupt and during the restructuring they shut down the park. The owners of Holiday World wanted to buy it, but the state of Kentucky put so many restrictions on how the park was to be operated they did not believe they could turn a profit and abide by the restrictions simultaneously, and when the state wouldn't budge on giving them more creative control they walked away. It sat for a few years then the same dude who bought it in bankruptcy the first time bought it again, made it successful again, and I think he sold it again.

You have to wonder why it's went bankrupt under the other operators but one guy has the secret sauce to revive it.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    It was Kentucky Kingdom first. I remember when they built it. It immediately went bankrupt, sat for a year or two, and then some other guy bought it, fixed it up, and made it successful. He sold it to Six Flags at some point, maybe 5 or 6 years later. Then Six Flags went bankrupt and during the restructuring they shut down the park. The owners of Holiday World wanted to buy it, but the state of Kentucky put so many restrictions on how the park was to be operated they did not believe they could turn a profit and abide by the restrictions simultaneously, and when the state wouldn't budge on giving them more creative control they walked away. It sat for a few years then the same dude who bought it in bankruptcy the first time bought it again, made it successful again, and I think he sold it again.

You have to wonder why it's went bankrupt under the other operators but one guy has the secret sauce to revive it.
    Right, it’s Kentucky kingdom again. I have no idea why one guy can make it work and another can’t, but, Kentucky is quite famous for shady business dealings, so maybe the current guy just knows how to play the game better than the others.

Anyway, the point is, you can’t just take an entire segment of society and turn them loose in a place, at NO COST to them, and expect everyone else to happily pay their own way and ignore the chaos around them.

As long as holiday world avoids that nonsense, they’ll remain an attractive destination.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Right, it’s Kentucky kingdom again. I have no idea why one guy can make it work and another can’t, but, Kentucky is quite famous for shady business dealings, so maybe the current guy just knows how to play the game better than the others.

Anyway, the point is, you can’t just take an entire segment of society and turn them loose in a place, at NO COST to them, and expect everyone else to happily pay their own way and ignore the chaos around them.

As long as holiday world avoids that nonsense, they’ll remain an attractive destination.

So a quick bit of research says Secret Sauce guy sold it again last year.

What if the point is to bankrupt it again... I'm not big on tin foil but there is something off about it if the goal is really a long term profitable facility, especially when the Koch family with a proven history with Holiday World gets frozen out.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    So a quick bit of research says Secret Sauce guy sold it again last year.

What if the point is to bankrupt it again... I'm not big on tin foil but there is something off about it if the goal is really a long term profitable facility, especially when the Koch family with a proven history with Holiday World gets frozen out.
    Being Kentucky, and especially Louisville, I’d be willing to bet it’s probably shadier and dirtier than the garden variety tin foil theorist would imagine. They (whoever they might be) probably knew the Koch brothers would squawk about it if they took control.

Dammit, now I’ve started my own conspiracy theory!

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Being Kentucky, and especially Louisville, I’d be willing to bet it’s probably shadier and dirtier than the garden variety tin foil theorist would imagine. They (whoever they might be) probably knew the Koch brothers would squawk about it if they took control.

Dammit, now I’ve started my own conspiracy theory!
    Locals have heard a slightly different story but here is the published one.

Following nine months of planning to reopen Louisville’s shuttered amusement park, Bluegrass Boardwalk, Inc. today withdrew from the project.

“We entered into this discussion last October with full expectation of leasing the park,” says Bluegrass Boardwalk CEO Natalie Koch. “However, we have come to the realization that leasing a park rather than owning it would take us too far from the business model my family has followed for more than 60 years.”

Koch says she and her partners were financially prepared to meet the challenge of reopening the abandoned park, however the many layers of governmental regulations and stipulations ultimately caused them to withdraw.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Locals have heard a slightly different story but here is the published one.

Following nine months of planning to reopen Louisville’s shuttered amusement park, Bluegrass Boardwalk, Inc. today withdrew from the project.

“We entered into this discussion last October with full expectation of leasing the park,” says Bluegrass Boardwalk CEO Natalie Koch. “However, we have come to the realization that leasing a park rather than owning it would take us too far from the business model my family has followed for more than 60 years.”

Koch says she and her partners were financially prepared to meet the challenge of reopening the abandoned park, however the many layers of governmental regulations and stipulations ultimately caused them to withdraw.
    In other words, they refused to pay all the bribes and kickbacks to operate in Kentucky.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Well it’s 6:30 AM time to reflect on yesterday, very busy at the park again mixed crowd, scoping out the scenery I saw quarter moons, half moons, and four ( I don’t think their daddy’s were with them sweeties)!full moons, not exactly a thong but close enough!
    Back on track, I saw two security/Santa police in khaki and polo shirts with embroidered badges walking around at pool park closing time.
    One was armed with a radio only, the other a Glock mid size and cuffs.
    We left at six pm, my son lives in the sticks close to Washington In, an hour or so from HW, crops look good this year folks…. Anyway we could/should have just came back to the Indy area, but stayed at the Baymont that promised me two adjoining rooms ( we got 203 and 231) )
    Papa John’s pizza and pool time from 9-10, my son said Dad you want your Glock back?
    I had left the old Department G-22 with Crimson Trace 205 red light laser, safely secured at his house, but I said nah, after breakfast and maybe some more pool time for grandkids we will go to his house and I can stick a target out here on any tree and have at it before the ride back to Fishers.
    All in all not a bad weekend so far for family time, but an expensive one.
    We should be safe in the sticks at my sons, maybe dinner before getting everybody back to Indy, Avon, and Fishers
    P.S. The kids were asking their Mom/Grandmomma about when I’m taking them all back to see Micky in Fla?!?

Stay tuned stay safe…:)

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    In other words, they refused to pay all the bribes and kickbacks to operate in Kentucky.

No, the gov't piled so many restrictions and rules on how they had to run the park it would have not been possible to be profitable long term. This was directly stated to me in conversation with an involved family member at the time.

Almost like it's set up for the buyer to fail. They were smart enough to see that up front and ejected. If it's intentional or simply incompetence in the gov't board is debatable.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    No, the gov't piled so many restrictions and rules on how they had to run the park it would have not been possible to be profitable long term. This was directly stated to me in conversation with an involved family member at the time.

Almost like it's set up for the buyer to fail. They were smart enough to see that up front and ejected. If it's intentional or simply incompetence in the gov't board is debatable.
    If HW owners had those stipulations but the hero who revived it twice didn’t, it’s intentional.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    Does anyone else remember going to “Holiday World” when it was “Santa Claus Land”? All of the rides were tiny and Christmas themed. They also had lots of things like live chickens in a case that would do stunts or play the piano when you deposited a quarter. At the end of the “act” they were rewarded by the machine with a small bit of corn. I doubt those machines would be legal today.

Top Bottom