• ...and so much more!
  • 2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    He is the only one I can write. I write him all the time. his people know me. I am on theit watch list.

I met him a while back and I didn't recognize him until introduced and then had a strained conversation.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Congressman Rokita was at our Church today gathering signatures to run against Donnelly. I spoke to him after the service and told him that we are concerned thst congress is not getting anything done. We would like to see some movement.

He asked what we want. I told him, the tax bill, repeal obama care And pass HR 38 and he asked what is that. I told him National reciprocity.

He did play ploitician at one point and say they had gotten the health care bill done, to which I said "What?" and said they got it through the house and I said that is not good enough. Repubs have the House, Senate and Presidency They need to get things done.

I gave him an INGO chalenge coin and told him he had a lot of supporters here and he needed to get things done not only for us but all Hoosiers and Americans.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Tweaking NICS doesn't bother me as long as it doesn't break it, doesn't add terror watch list names and doesn't add those not adjudicated mentally dangerous.

Taylor22

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 3, 2016
    Morgan county
    Tweaking NICS doesn't bother me as long as it doesn't break it, doesn't add terror watch list names and doesn't add those not adjudicated mentally dangerous.
    The fix NICS bill allows administrative agencies to compile blacklists of individuals to be denied without due process. In theory a future president could add any person or group of people or heck everyone to the list and you would be denied a passing NICS check.
    Thats the problem I have with it. If a court has said you don’t deserve to purchase firearms fine, you had your day in court. But the ability to just add to the blacklist without a hearing prior is a little too close to what the libs want.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    The fix NICS bill allows administrative agencies to compile blacklists of individuals to be denied without due process. In theory a future president could add any person or group of people or heck everyone to the list and you would be denied a passing NICS check.
    Thats the problem I have with it. If a court has said you don’t deserve to purchase firearms fine, you had your day in court. But the ability to just add to the blacklist without a hearing prior is a little too close to what the libs want.

There is, I think, reasonable concern that national reciprocity could one day lead to federal "normative" requirements being placed on the states to standardize states' carry laws. There's also 10th Amendment concerns and the fact we're cheering on a law that skirts this amendment that leave me Luke warm on this bill.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI

Having read the bill, I fail to see what you are talking about. Here is the link

http://docs.house.gov/billsthisweek/20171204/BILLS-115HR38-RCP115-45.pdf

Please point out the sections you are referring to.

Taylor22

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 3, 2016
    Morgan county
    im not a legal expert. But from what I understand it allows any agency to submit names they don’t think should possess a firearm. So the social security administration could say anybody over 65 shouldn’t have a firearm and you wouldn’t be able to pass a check. It may be mostly hypotheticals. If the law isn’t written specifically to avoid situations like that then you can bet a future administration would skirt due process and use the methods they would have available. I’d rather it be specifically convictions must be transmitted to the FBI. Not suspicions, not “professional opinions” but due process.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Here is a better example.
    Some people that collect social security benefits also have a representative payee. This person or organization or biz is designated to take the payment of the person getting benefits and use them for that person.

In an organization/biz sense its tyoically a nursing home.
    In the case of another person its a family member.
    Its not that the person getting benefits is crazy, in some cases yes, most times its the person is financislly irresponsible. So these poeople ssa could say no guns for them.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    im not a legal expert. But from what I understand it allows any agency to submit names they don’t think should possess a firearm. So the social security administration could say anybody over 65 shouldn’t have a firearm and you wouldn’t be able to pass a check. It may be mostly hypotheticals. If the law isn’t written specifically to avoid situations like that then you can bet a future administration would skirt due process and use the methods they would have available. I’d rather it be specifically convictions must be transmitted to the FBI. Not suspicions, not “professional opinions” but due process.

The link I used is of the combined bill to be voted on and does not contain 202.

Here is a better example.
    Some people that collect social security benefits also have a representative payee. This person or organization or biz is designated to take the payment of the person getting benefits and use them for that person.

In an organization/biz sense its tyoically a nursing home.
    In the case of another person its a family member.
    Its not that the person getting benefits is crazy, in some cases yes, most times its the person is financislly irresponsible. So these poeople ssa could say no guns for them.

That was not a law. That was an Obama EO and has been repealed.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    The rep payee in social security is still very much active!
    There are many people getting benefits that have rep payee right now as i type this

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    What are you talking about? I know there are Rep payees.

Were you takling about them losing there gun rights or are you having a fit of lunacy. We were talking about rights being denied and you came in with SS stuff.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    OK so we agree rep payees are still active.
    Yes the obama order has been removed from ssa policy.
    The proposed law would allow future president sanders to tell ssa that anyone with a rep payer is not suited to own a gun as the other poster said the write up is not specific and does not say this so a future president can skirt around the "indent" of the law.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Any future President can make an EO just like Obama did as it is now.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Of course I can't find it, and it's probably just "the sky is falling", but someone was claiming they're trying to put an Assault Weapons Ban into it.

Viper1973

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    I personally have NO problem with Fix NICs as long as the system works like it's supposed to.
    Plus, That's going to be the only way to pass national reciprocity through the Senate.

Democrats can't vote against NICs or they'll get blasted from the anti-gun folks and it takes 60 votes. With the slim majority Republicans have, they don't have enough to make this happen. This way it puts Democrats into a box and jams it through.

Top Bottom