• ...and so much more!
  • jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    So is the bill just going to die since congress is about to leave for xmass break and the only thing on their mind right now is the tax law and how to fund .gov past thia friday as they once again run out of money this friday.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Sorry wrong thread. The budget passed. I think McConnel is keeping this from advancing to a vote.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    That is the new tax bill.
    That is NOT the budget bill.
    .gov shutdown occurs friday night if congress does not pass a budget or give themselves an extension like they did 2 weeks ago.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I have not seen a copy of the Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act of 2017 that I knew to be current/correct until tonight when a link was posted on the TexasCHLforum. Maybe there's one in the past 19 pages or one of the other Reciprocity Act threads, but didn't do an exhaustive search. So for anyone else that is interested, here it is as passed by the House and presented to the Senate on 7 Dec: https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/38/text

The Act has two Titles: Title I is on the actual reciprocity law. Title II is the "Fix NICS" part.

Some notes on Title I:

- If you have a government photo ID and a license to carry from your State of residence, you can carry in any State that has a concealed carry law or does not have a law forbidding concealed carry (e.g. Vermont).
    - Private entities or persons are not restricted by this Act from prohibiting concealed carry on their properties
    - State and local governments are not restricted by this Act from prohibiting concealed carry on state/local gov property
    - A person who meets requirements of the act may not be arrested or detained for violating the law, rule, or regulation of any State/local government regarding possession, transportation, or carrying of a handgun unless he is violating some other provision of this Act
    - "Presentation of facially valid documents as specified in subsection (a) is prima facie evidence that the individual has a license or permit as required by this section."
    (To me this says having a license with you is enough to establish you are legal, you don't have to wait while the cops call your home state to verify status)
    - If you are arrested, assert this Act as a defense, and are acquitted, you shall be awarded reasonable attorney fees. (!)
    - If your rights/privilges/immunities under this Act are violated, you can bring civil suit against the State/local governments and/or officials and if you win, shall be awarded damages, other relief as appropriate (return of firearms?) and attorney's fees.
    - "Handgun" includes any magazine for use in a handgun and ammunition loaded in the handgun or magazine (but not a spare box of ammo?)
    - If carrying under the provisions of this Act you are not subject to the Federal Gun Free School Zone prohibition.
    - You can carry in any of the following federal lands within the State:
    “(A) A unit of the National Park System.
    “(B) A unit of the National Wildlife Refuge System.
    “(C) Public land under the jurisdiction of the Bureau of Land Management.
    “(D) Land administered and managed by the Army Corps of Engineers. (This would seem to moot Nesbitt v ACOE)
    “(E) Land administered and managed by the Bureau of Reclamation.
    “(F) Land administered and managed by the Forest Service.”.

Last edited:

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    BTW, now is the time to let Senators know if you want National Reciprocity to pass. The Dems will try to filibuster it, and split the FixNICS part off as a separate bill in the Senate -- and I fear it is too likely that the Republicans will let them unless they get a lot of calls demanding (politely but firmly) that national reciprocity pass. The NRA is notifying Senators that HR38, as is, must receive a vote. This needs to be backed up with phone calls and letters to Senators.

Top Bottom