• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    Carrying is one thing, using is another very different thing. So what if a person can carry in NY or IL (for example) - if faced with using a firearm for self-defense, they will still be subject to local laws regarding things like castle doctrine, duty to retreat, etc., and the whims of the local prosecutor. I wouldn't want to be the test case in LA, NYC, or Chicago; would you? I'd love to be able to carry everywhere, but if I can't effectively protect myself, then merely being able to carry is pretty useless.

You are correct, but I'd rather be a test case than dead. Even more important, I'd rather be a test case than have a member of my family dead.

The big thing about this law is just avoiding the legal jeopardy for merely carrying.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    I'm guessing that a couple of nights in the Cook County jail might cause one to reconsider whether or not they really needed to pull the trigger. Personally, I don't have any experience with that, and have no desire to find out what it's like.

Even better than being the test case would be to avoid the situation in the first place. Some folks prefer to miss out on life by never going where we can't carry; the rest of us have learned how to minimize our exposure to risky situations. And don't waste time with the "it's not the odds, it's the cost" crap. We can't prevent every bad contingency - sometimes you're number comes up and there's not a damned thing you can do about it.

And the more important point is that what we really need is consistency regarding self-defense laws such as castle doctrine.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Little bit of news; got this in my e-mail
    I need to see if the official language of HR 38 is posted yet (it wasn't upon last check a while back):

From Rep. Brooks:

Thank you for contacting me regarding H.R. 38, the Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act. I appreciate the time you have taken to inform me of your thoughts on this issue.

As you know, H.R. 38 was introduced by Representative Richard Hudson from North Carolina and it has been referred to the House Judiciary Committee. This bill amends the federal criminal code to guarantee individuals who legally carry a concealed weapon in their home state may also carry in any other state that allows concealed carry, as long as they follow the rules of that state. As a strong supporter of the right to bear arms, I am proud to be a cosponsor of this bill, which provides a common sense solution to a problem too many Americans face. Our Second Amendment right doesn’t disappear when we cross state lines, and this legislation guarantees that. It will provide law-abiding citizens the right to conceal carry and travel freely between states without worrying about conflicting state codes or onerous civil suits. While I do not sit on the House Judiciary Committee, should this legislation pass out of committee and come before the U.S. House of Representatives for a vote, please know I will support it.

Thank you again for contacting me. Your thoughts and opinions are of critical importance to me as I work to represent Indiana’s 5th District in Congress. I sincerely appreciate your comments and look forward to hearing from you in the future.

Sincerely,
    OTTEdq3_PcYZeXY9DNwLYJz6livzIf2G0pyLtmfC5_vDv0oEBtj5pByZoku2-niLkJ1KCyG_d1Tx19w6GUfdd11cDXVAl8f16sGEvDDwlovEMkHwCjJh4DD_YdBZ0Q=s0-d-e1-ft

Susan W. Brooks
    Member of Congress

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    Well it's sure refreshing to see Rep. Brooks so forthcoming with a direct and open answer that's really outstanding versus the canned responses that are all too common.

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    oh it is still quite the canned response. just a better flavor in this one. :)

By canned response I meant those middle of the road scumbags that play the semantics games never taking or making their position on much of anything clear. ~Better? ;)

She certainly did not mince her words in that response, I like it a lot!

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I need to see if the official language of HR 38 is posted yet (it wasn't upon last check a while back):

From Rep. Brooks:

That's not the usual form letter, assuming it is one. :D. I'm glad to see a positive and definitive position stated--form letter or not.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

From Rep. Brooks:

Well it's sure refreshing to see Rep. Brooks so forthcoming with a direct and open answer that's really outstanding versus the canned responses that are all too common.

By canned response I meant those middle of the road scumbags that play the semantics games never taking or making their position on much of anything clear. ~Better? ;)

She certainly did not mince her words in that response, I like it a lot!

That's not the usual form letter, assuming it is one. :D. I'm glad to see a positive and definitive position stated--form letter or not.

On the other hand, here's the response from the Donnelly cannery.

May 23, 2017​
    Dear Friend,​
    Thank you for taking the time to contact me regarding S. 446, the Constitutional Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act of 2017 . Like you, I believe this is an issue that deserves thoughtful consideration.
    Whether a gun owner or not, we can all agree that we can take steps to reduce violent crime without sacrificing the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens. I have always recognized that the overwhelming majority of gun owners exercise their Second Amendment rights in a responsible and law-abiding manner.
    As you may know, all fifty states and the District of Columbia allow for individuals to carry concealed handguns if they meet certain criteria. Currently, laws related to concealed carry are enacted at the state level and vary between individual states. Indiana, in addition to issuing carry permits to Hoosiers and certain non-residents, recognizes all carry permits issued by other states. While many states also recognize Indiana permits, 18 states, including Illinois, do not honor carry permits issued by Indiana.
    The Constitutional Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act was introduced in the Senate on February 27, 2017. If enacted into law, this bill would authorize an individual who is not prohibited by federal law from possessing a firearm and who is entitled by his or her state of residence to carry a concealed handgun to carry a concealed handgun in any state, provided he or she possesses a validly issued state permit, or, if from a state that does not require a separate permit, a government-issued photo ID. Authorized gun owners who do decide to carry across state lines, however, still would be required to adhere to the respective firearms laws of each state.
    Supporters of this legislation argue that the current interstate reciprocity framework for carry permits can hinder their ability to lawfully carry a handgun across state lines while on business or recreational travel. Some opponents of the bill argue that the federal government should not make it easier for individuals to carry concealed handguns, while others argue that the states are in the best position to ensure the public safety of their citizens and should be allowed to choose which carry permits to honor.
    The Constitutional Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act is currently pending before the Senate Judiciary Committee. Should this legislation come to the floor of the Senate for a vote, I will be sure to keep your thoughts in mind.

It is a privilege to represent you and all Hoosiers in the Senate. Your continued correspondence is welcome and helps me to better represent our state. I encourage you to write, call, or email if my office can ever be of assistance. You can also check out my Facebook page, follow me on Twitter , or visit my website . Please note when contacting my Senate office that I am only able to respond to questions or concerns related to official Senate business. As such, this letter addresses the issues you raised, which relate to my work in the United States Senate[FONT=&quot]. [/FONT]

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    On the other hand, here's the response from the Donnelly cannery.

May 23, 2017​
    Dear Friend,​
    Thank you for taking the time to contact me regarding S. 446, the Constitutional Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act of 2017 . Like you, I believe this is an issue that deserves thoughtful consideration.
    Whether a gun owner or not, we can all agree that we can take steps to reduce violent crime without sacrificing the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens. I have always recognized that the overwhelming majority of gun owners exercise their Second Amendment rights in a responsible and law-abiding manner.
    As you may know, all fifty states and the District of Columbia allow for individuals to carry concealed handguns if they meet certain criteria. Currently, laws related to concealed carry are enacted at the state level and vary between individual states. Indiana, in addition to issuing carry permits to Hoosiers and certain non-residents, recognizes all carry permits issued by other states. While many states also recognize Indiana permits, 18 states, including Illinois, do not honor carry permits issued by Indiana.
    The Constitutional Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act was introduced in the Senate on February 27, 2017. If enacted into law, this bill would authorize an individual who is not prohibited by federal law from possessing a firearm and who is entitled by his or her state of residence to carry a concealed handgun to carry a concealed handgun in any state, provided he or she possesses a validly issued state permit, or, if from a state that does not require a separate permit, a government-issued photo ID. Authorized gun owners who do decide to carry across state lines, however, still would be required to adhere to the respective firearms laws of each state.
    Supporters of this legislation argue that the current interstate reciprocity framework for carry permits can hinder their ability to lawfully carry a handgun across state lines while on business or recreational travel. Some opponents of the bill argue that the federal government should not make it easier for individuals to carry concealed handguns, while others argue that the states are in the best position to ensure the public safety of their citizens and should be allowed to choose which carry permits to honor.
    The Constitutional Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act is currently pending before the Senate Judiciary Committee. Should this legislation come to the floor of the Senate for a vote, I will be sure to keep your thoughts in mind.

It is a privilege to represent you and all Hoosiers in the Senate. Your continued correspondence is welcome and helps me to better represent our state. I encourage you to write, call, or email if my office can ever be of assistance. You can also check out my Facebook page, follow me on Twitter , or visit my website . Please note when contacting my Senate office that I am only able to respond to questions or concerns related to official Senate business. As such, this letter addresses the issues you raised, which relate to my work in the United States Senate.

Yes. Ask Emily Miller how that's working out.
    As usual, took forever for her to fight to get a permit.
    Because in DC, they decide if you "need" a gun. Since she had a stack of threats, but hadn't been assaulted/killed/raped yet, they at first determined she didn't have a "need".

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    What does it mean that this bill will be "marked up"?
    How does this advance the issue?

It's how the sausage gets made. :)

I'm not 100% but I'm guessing that's where the committee it's in gets chances to make amendments to it before voting it out of that committee so it can be voted on on the house floor.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    213 co-sponsors? 5 more yea votes and it passes the House. You'd think it could get to 50 in the Senate but I wouldn't trust McConnell to muster 50 yea votes on free ice cream.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    213 co-sponsors? 5 more yea votes and it passes the House. You'd think it could get to 50 in the Senate but I wouldn't trust McConnell to muster 50 yea votes on free ice cream.

IKR...What will they do without this political issue to scare people to go vote for them next year?

DaveM44

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2017
    Southern
    With Feinstein and Pelosi still around and continually plotting bills, I don't expect this to go anywhere. Pelosi still controls too much money making ability and Feinstein is going to be Feinstein until she croaks.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Urimun
    Top Bottom