• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    If war comes, and there can only be one ..... then I already own it.
    All factory-built BCM with a Trijicon for eyes ! :alright:

i-6B59JNB-XL.jpg
    Yep, that's the ticket! My RECCE 16 is the one for me too...ultra reliable, flat shooting, and lightweight. Nice Trijicon...what model is that?

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I believe my Aero Precision rifles will work just fine. I just need to figure out which one.
    @DadSmith - know that I'm not picking on you / singling you out by quoting this out of your post.

But this is the uncertainty that I'd like to avoid.

I currently have no fewer than 2 rifles. 1 of them is an Aero lower built up with a Stag LPK with a no-name 12.5" upper on it, the other is a 16" Poverty Pony home build.

I would not bet my life on either of those guns.

So, while I'm not a power user / abuser of guns by any stretch (time constraints and budget don't allow it) - I'd like something that I KNOW that I can inherently bet my life upon - without extensive testing.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    So, while I'm not a power user / abuser of guns by any stretch (time constraints and budget don't allow it) - I'd like something that I KNOW that I can inherently bet my life upon - without extensive testing.

Tombstone Tactical (where I purchased my LMT) has the LMT Defender and SPM16 models in stock as of this posting. The Defender is the "budget" MARS, non-ambi lower and down graded furniture but the same upper with monolithic rail. The SPM16 is their Standard Patrol Model. Basically an M4. Right now the Defender is the better buy as it's on sale. But $1600 is still a hefty price.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Tombstone Tactical (where I purchased my LMT) has the LMT Defender and SPM16 models in stock as of this posting. The Defender is the "budget" MARS, non-ambi lower and down graded furniture but the same upper with monolithic rail. The SPM16 is their Standard Patrol Model. Basically an M4. Right now the Defender is the better buy as it's on sale. But $1600 is still a hefty price.
    I'll check out that site!

I do think that I have LMT / KAC / Hodge / Noveske tastes on a barely BCM budget, though. :-D

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I'd like something that I KNOW that I can inherently bet my life upon - without extensive testing.
    I'd argue that there is no such thing. I don't care if it's Daniel Defense, BCM, Colt, whoever, you have to train with the rifle and work it hard to ensure it runs. Everything mechanical can fail.

Maybe consider selling one of your two rifles and investing in some ammo and a carbine class. That's how you vet gear and start to trust it.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Not the only option, of course, but if you want a real "went to war...repeatedly" gun that's been extensively tested there you go.

Understand that you will hit diminishing returns pretty quickly and the limiting factor behind even a cheaper rifle is likely to be you. You're better off with a S&W Sport II, a case of ammo, quality training, and routine practice then you are a Gucci Rifle that gets played with on occasion even if it's better specs.

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    I'll check out that site!

I do think that I have LMT / KAC / Hodge / Noveske tastes on a barely BCM budget, though. :-D
    I hear ya...but I was lucky enough to find my BCM on the used rack at a LGS at a great price...but that was over 3 years ago. When I contacted BCM, they told me it was not even a year old at the time. Finally...I was at the right place at the right time. I usually get told..."Oh ya, sorry, we just SOLD one a few hours ago(yesterday or 2 days ago) like you were wanting". See, usually my luck isn't that good as I'm on the hours-late or day-late side. At least it was there the day I walked in...and left with me. Heck, I couldn't have dropped money at MSRP on a brand new BCM even back then...but used price? Hell ya...SOLD!

Jump62

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    Fenwick Island
    Just to add to the list I'de like to add Windham Weaponry, they worked like the M-16a1 that was mine in 1976 and have gone bang every time. Just got this year a Windham M-4 clone so my Windham AR-15a2 would get lonely in the safe but because of the Kung Flu and ammo crazyness we haven't had much quality time together....yet.
    Jump62
    aka Paul

Shooter5

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Indiana
    BCM is a great tool for the job! I also like Gieselle. The Gieselle Super Duty rifle is top notch.
    So my vote would be BCM Reece and Gieselle Super Duty.
    I agree with many here tho…a well built Anderson, or others makes a very dependable AR.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD

Not the only option, of course, but if you want a real "went to war...repeatedly" gun that's been extensively tested there you go.

Understand that you will hit diminishing returns pretty quickly and the limiting factor behind even a cheaper rifle is likely to be you. You're better off with a S&W Sport II, a case of ammo, quality training, and routine practice then you are a Gucci Rifle that gets played with on occasion even if it's better specs.
    That's the lowest price i've seen lately for a CR6920.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    @DadSmith - know that I'm not picking on you / singling you out by quoting this out of your post.

But this is the uncertainty that I'd like to avoid.

I currently have no fewer than 2 rifles. 1 of them is an Aero lower built up with a Stag LPK with a no-name 12.5" upper on it, the other is a 16" Poverty Pony home build.

I would not bet my life on either of those guns.

You misunderstood the reason for the uncertainty. It was range dependent. Both my Aero Precision AR-15 and AR-10 have shot well, and reliability isn't an issue. The problem would be the distance. Over 300 yards I feel I would need a 7.62x51mm. Upto 300yds a 5.56x45mm. Nothing to do with their reliability.

I was issued a Colt built M4 Carbine that was total crap. That poverty Pony of yours I bet would have ran circles around it my M4.
    Now in reflection after building many myself I fault a bad buffer spring. It was probably completely worn out. Yet it was Army good to go. A simple buffer spring replacement would have made it run I have no doubts.

Here is a DD MK12

Last edited:

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    All the "already been to war" rifles I was issued were old; worn; cleaned; checked; and reissued. I'm confident that the only limitation of my RRA is that it doesn't have selective fire

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've got two AR types, a Colt I bought back in the 70s that's never jammed regardless of what I've fed it so I'm pretty confident using it. I also have a M-16 short gun that I built with odd parts on an NFA receiver. It's seen a lot of mag dumps and reloaded ammo, again no jams or problems. Those would be my two .223 war guns.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Mag dumps are a waste of ammo. I'll take aimed rapid fire every time. Any decent quality rifle, if well maintained, will be suitable for the average rifleman. Some combat infantrymen, never fire their weapons in combat engagements. Today, heavy weapons, air strikes and artillery rule the battlefield.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Just to add to the list I'de like to add Windham Weaponry, they worked like the M-16a1 that was mine in 1976 and have gone bang every time. Just got this year a Windham M-4 clone so my Windham AR-15a2 would get lonely in the safe but because of the Kung Flu and ammo crazyness we haven't had much quality time together....yet.
    Jump62
    aka Paul
    My Windham SRC is my oldest AR I own. Not the first one I bought but the first one I kept. It's the one that's currently bedside. It's great rifle for the money. I think I paid less than $800 OTD 10 years ago. Goes bang, plenty accurate I wouldn't hesitate to grab it. Commercial spec stocks are the only thing that's kinda hard to find now but that could be replaced if needed. Replaced everything with magpul furniture years ago. It wears a light, iron sights and a sling pretty simple.

Top Bottom