• ...and so much more!
  • chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    OK, so there is no back up power, system to feed the video and such? I don‘t know anything, truly, but some of this stuff is raising questions.

Again, before people suggest otherwise, I do not know what happened nor do I claim it was terrorists (foreign or otherwise). I’m just wanting to know.

In last few years we have had severe train wrecks, doors flying off jets and now this on the waterways. Just sayin’
    It appears that the backup power did kick on - the lights coming back on implied that an emergency generator kicked in after the power went out. But an emergency generator is likely only going to provide backup power to system-critical functions capable of being powered by that generator.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    OK, so there is no back up power, system to feed the video and such? I don‘t know anything, truly, but some of this stuff is raising questions.

Again, before people suggest otherwise, I do not know what happened nor do I claim it was terrorists (foreign or otherwise). I’m just wanting to know.

In last few years we have had severe train wrecks, doors flying off jets and now this on the waterways. Just sayin’
    Backup systems cost money. Keeping things working costs money. If it isn't necessary for actually running the ship, it probably isn't a high priority to spend money on.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    In the NTSB video, they said the captain called for the port anchor to be dropped (which if it was dropped and caught, should have made the ship veer to the left).
    It was apparently the port anchor that was dropped. The ship was going too fast for the anchor to arrest forward movement. It was also speculated that the crew attempted to reverse the ship's thrust, which very easily could have combined to cause the ship's bow to turn to the right.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Would a ship of that size even fit within the draft in the Baltimore harbor?
    Most likely yes, draft is usually kept under the middle 50's as most shipping lanes in the Chesapeake are normally kept at 60'
    So during average low tide they will still have maybe 3' of water under the keel when under way.
    Ships are normally kept to fit through the locks at the Panama Canal. 1,100' length with a 50' draft. I know an expansion was done a few years ago but I'm not up on if there are any new ship specs to fit nodays.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    It was apparently the port anchor that was dropped. The ship was going too fast for the anchor to arrest forward movement. It was also speculated that the crew attempted to reverse the ship's thrust, which very easily could have combined to cause the ship's bow to turn to the right.
    Let's add that the ship was running aground with the starboard side well before it hit the bridge support. Which just in itself will cause that to happen.
    Lots of tonnage to go to rest.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Most likely yes, draft is usually kept under the middle 50's as most shipping lanes in the Chesapeake are normally kept at 60'
    So during average low tide they will still have maybe 3' of water under the keel when under way.
    Ships are normally kept to fit through the locks at the Panama Canal. 1,100' length with a 50' draft. I know an expansion was done a few years ago but I'm not up on if there are any new ship specs to fit nodays.
    They're still building those super-cargo carriers to Panamax standards? Or are they using the new canal? TIL...

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    They're still building those super-cargo carriers to Panamax standards? Or are they using the new canal? TIL...
    I would say what ever tends to go through the canal will be in specs to fit. Not every ship needs to do so.
    Seems with keeping draft and beam the same as the the 1,000' ships the new length 1,300' ft most likely will fit with the new expansion specs.
    Man that's a lot of ship.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County

Typically, no there are no backup power supplies for data recorder system inputs in aviation. CVRs are in battery backup.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    How did they shut the traffic off, literally in seconds but they left the guys working out there?
    Police stopped traffic from entering the bridge. It took mere minutes from the first "mayday" call (you can see a few vehicles still cross the bridge, then all traffic stops), but the entire thing happened in a matter of 3-4 minutes. There likely wasn't time to get to the workers - if the police even knew a pothole repair crew was on the bridge.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    How did they shut the traffic off, literally in seconds but they left the guys working out there?
    My guess was that they didnt have a direct link to the crew. It was just a pothole crew. Not a bridge repair crew that would need to be in constant contact with USCG, Toll bridge operators, etc. Somebody would have had to risk their lives to drive out there, and even then there may not have been time, adding at least one more victim.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I was of the understanding that the construction crew stopped traffic in one direction and bridge police stopped the other. :dunno:

At least two of the workers were in a truck, im going to guess they were aware and trying to Ditty Mow off that bridge.

Plus, that ships horn, is really Fing loud.
    Specially at 1:30am

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Where's the part that looks like a deliberate attack? Am I supposed to be convinced by the ominous music?
    I wouldn't know about the music. But the ship made a turn and headed right for the support of the bridge. It lined itself up and took it out is what it looks like.

Looked very deliberate to me. You didn't see it make the turn and aim for the support?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I wouldn't know about the music. But the ship made a turn and headed right for the support of the bridge. It lined itself up and took it out is what it looks like.

Looked very deliberate to me. You didn't see it make the turn and aim for the support?
    Back in the 80s David Copperfield LOOKED like he made the Statue of Liberty disappear. Doesnt mean it really did.

Top Bottom