• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I really don't have a problem with the way the tweet is worded. "Stranger" was the mom's word for it. "Shooter"? Well, they weren't reporting it using "shooter" disparagingly. Context kinda helps determine what words mean. Let's not get bent out of shape over it.

Of course the dad did the right thing. A stranger comes into the house like that? You don't know what's on his mind. But I think this would be a wakeup call to hit the range more, and possibly upgrade his tools. Shot him 6 times and the pedo still doesn't have life threatening injuries? It's not that the goal is to kill the intruder, but just to stop the threat. The 6 shots apparently did that. But that may not do it with someone a bit more determined.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    For future reference.
    internal-human-anatomy-normal-intern-medical-illness-lungs-liver-gallbladder-transverse-colon-ascending-aorta-spleen-rectum.jpg

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I really don't have a problem with the way the tweet is worded. "Stranger" was the mom's word for it. "Shooter"? Well, they weren't reporting it using "shooter" disparagingly. Context kinda helps determine what words mean. Let's not get bent out of shape over it.

That would all be well and good, if we were naively to believe that words aren't used intentionally to create and advance particular narratives.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    That would all be well and good, if we were naively to believe that words aren't used intentionally to create and advance particular narratives.

Locally, if it were WHAS, yeah, I might find some offense to it. The Bill Lamb, the station managemer of WDRB is definitely Fuddy, but he's not bat **** anti-gun crazy. I've found WDRB to generally follow that. Kinda Fuddy but not crazy.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    For future reference.
    internal-human-anatomy-normal-intern-medical-illness-lungs-liver-gallbladder-transverse-colon-ascending-aorta-spleen-rectum.jpg

The pedo showed up to arraignment in a wheel chair. Probably the shots mostly hit waist-down. I dunno. Maybe the dad shot the dude in the d*ck. I mean. If some crazy dude broke into my house and started creeping on my daughter I might think to aim there.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    https://www.chicagotribune.com/news...ed-robber-kill-each-other-20190418-story.html

Chicago. Ugh.

64 yo is on the phone with his son when the son hears gunshots and his dad say "I've been shot."

Police find the man, who had a CCL, and the man who tried to rob him, both dead.

The father was basically a good guy who grew up in tough neighborhood but made something out of his life.

The robber:

Court records show the suspected robber had an extensive criminal background with numerous arrests and felony convictions for gun and theft charges. The man was released from the Pinckneyville Correctional Center on stolen vehicle and gun convictions exactly a month to the day he was killed, state records show.

Another part of the story says that release was parole, not completion of sentence.

Illinois is tough on "guns", not on criminals.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    https://abc7chicago.com/would-be-ro...75IeUoE4QVC6C4ZoPEOJ4HTWyvEXZJZDQdMefsQ_4wx1A
    Would-be carjacker fatally shot by concealed-carry holder in South Loop

Chicago.
    CHICAGO (WLS) -- A concealed carry permit holder fought back, killing a would-be carjacker after a crash in the South Loop.

Update:
    Police say concealed carry license holder won’t be charged in fatal Loop shooting: ‘He was the victim’

The article ends with the Tribune pondering that they don't know how many concealed carry shootings are "justified." They have a link to a database of the concealed carry shootings they know about. They also have a link to a story that is entitled "Almost nothing is known about dozens of concealed carry shootings in Illinois. Why?" I get the impression they think that concealed carry shootings are a "problem."

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Hobart, Indiana:

https://www.nwitimes.com/news/attem...cle_cdf891be-e9a1-5655-81bb-5a42c99e6f3a.html

HOBART — An attempted armed robbery suspect is still at large after fleeing when a liquor store clerk drew his firearm, police say.

There's a good description of the events leading up to the drawing of firearms.

Also indications that you probably don't want to use that pistol you had tarted up with funky colors to rob liquor stores with. Nor steal such guns from your brother's girlfriend. Nor borrow his clothes. Nor do all this crap while you're sleeping on their couch just after getting out of jail.

Also don't mumble, confuses people.

Top Bottom