• ...and so much more!
  • Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Florida

Broward County Sheriff's Office makes the news again, and again not in a good way:

‘Sheriff, hurry up please.’ Disabled Florida man battles intruder as cops wait down the street. (tampabay.com)]

Older gent is just getting out of the shower before going to bed when he realizes there's somebody casing his house.

Seventy-year-old Bill Norkunas, a childhood polio survivor, headed over to the light and flicked it on hoping to scare away whoever was there. Instead, the light was a beacon drawing a young man to his front door, a door made of glass.

And then for the next 15 minutes, Norkunas stood there, barefoot and unclothed, with his crutches, on one side of the glass pane trying to steady a gun in his trembling hand while the stranger stood on the other side, pounding on the door, banging it with his hip or gnawing at the thick hurricane-grade glass with a garden paver.

And as bewildering, and just as terrifying to him, is the knowledge that a squad of Broward sheriff’s deputies responded to his Tamarac neighborhood, but none came close to his home to stop the man. Instead, they waited down the street until he walked over to them and surrendered, witnesses told the South Florida Sun Sentinel.

A dispatcher hears the glass breaking and alerts the 18 deputies who had been assigned to go to Norkunas’ home, according to a dispatcher’s log that documents the call and response. The Sheriff’s Office initially refused to release those public records, as well as the 911 call and police report, until the Sun Sentinel’s attorney got involved.

That "18" is apparently not a typo.

RTWT, the article linked discusses the 'no duty to protect' issue as well. All in all a great article for getting your own gun and training.

Oh, and in other recent news:
    Florida’s top law enforcement agency confirms it is investigating Broward Sheriff Gregory Tony over a wider range of issues than it acknowledged six months ago.

Last edited:

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Philadelphia Pennsylvania

Wingstop robbery thwarted by customer with a gun; Philadelphia police say suspect fatally shot - 6abc Philadelphia

Guy talking on his phone walks into a WingStop late at night right into the middle of a robbery in progress. Robber points gun at phone guy and demands phone. Phone guy not only has phone but license to carry and a gun to go with it. Shoots robber one time in the neck, robber dies on the floor, phone guy not expected to be charged with anything.

I hope he got to eat his wings while they were still hot.

Mole

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2020
    Washington
    Jerusalem, Israel.

So this is more of a "defensive gun non-use" (DGNU, I guess). Hard to use your firearm in defense if it is not loaded.

Have you seen how the IDF carry their rifles (at least around town)? Locked and loaded is no-go, so they have carriers to carry a ready mag without a magazine in the gun. Neat.
    mamach_on_gun.jpg
    It would suck to try to rip this out a load it while a car is running you down.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Florida

Broward County Sheriff's Office makes the news again, and again not in a good way:

‘Sheriff, hurry up please.’ Disabled Florida man battles intruder as cops wait down the street. (tampabay.com)]

Older gent is just getting out of the shower before going to bed when he realizes there's somebody casing his house.

That "18" is apparently not a typo.

RTWT, the article linked discusses the 'no duty to protect' issue as well. All in all a great article for getting your own gun and training.

Oh, and in other recent news:
    FloridaÂ’s top law enforcement agency confirms it is investigating Broward Sheriff Gregory Tony over a wider range of issues than it acknowledged six months ago.

I saw this a few days ago. Sounds like the coward of Broward County is still alive and well.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Side note: while this is legal in Texas, it would not be legal in Indiana. Caveat emptor.

The window for using deadly force to protect property in Texas is pretty narrow. And this is just a really brief summary of what happened. There may be other detail we don't know that made this a defense of self rather than defense of propertly, like she confronted the burglar, he threatened to kill her, and then she shot him.

But I would bet the average Houstonian will not be upset that a car burglar got shot.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    The window for using deadly force to protect property in Texas is pretty narrow. And this is just a really brief summary of what happened. There may be other detail we don't know that made this a defense of self rather than defense of propertly, like she confronted the burglar, he threatened to kill her, and then she shot him.

But I would bet the average Houstonian will not be upset that a car burglar got shot.

I also would not be upset; but Texas has pretty unique self-defense laws with respect to justified use of deadly force in defense of property. I would be upset, though, if a law-abiding Hoosier found him/herself in legal jeopardy resulting from a similar situation occurring here in Indiana.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    San Antonio, Texas

This happened at Thanksgiving but I missed it then.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crim...ew-partner-to-thanksgiving-dinner/ar-BB1boHq1

Ex-husband went to ex-wife's T-gving celebration to confront her and her new boyfriend. Ex-husband starts shooting, hits one person the butt (taken to SAMMC) and another in the hand (treated on scene). Another family member grabs his handgun and shoots ex-husbands and stops the fracas. Ex-husband taken to SAMMC with life-threatening injuries and major trauma. Family member with handgun not expected to be charged since it appears he acted in self-defense (or defense of another).

Oh, this article https://www.ksat.com/news/local/202...iving-gathering-leads-to-shooting-police-say/

...says it was the ex-wife who was shot in the hand, and her aunt shot in the buttocks. Ex-husband shot in stomach and chest.

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    San Antonio, Texas

This happened at Thanksgiving but I missed it then.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crim...ew-partner-to-thanksgiving-dinner/ar-BB1boHq1

Ex-husband went to ex-wife's T-gving celebration to confront her and her new boyfriend. Ex-husband starts shooting, hits one person the butt (taken to SAMMC) and another in the hand (treated on scene). Another family member grabs his handgun and shoots ex-husbands and stops the fracas. Ex-husband taken to SAMMC with life-threatening injuries and major trauma. Family member with handgun not expected to be charged since it appears he acted in self-defense (or defense of another).

And here I get dirty looks for carrying my EDC at the holiday dinner table.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    And here I get dirty looks for carrying my EDC at the holiday dinner table.

My kids mostly carry, but not at home. They do not fault me for holiday carry.

We do not even have any estranged others that might show up.

My daughter is becoming more concerned about kidnapping of her boys and considering carrying, herself.

Once that happens I will begin working on home carry.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    LA (Lousiana, not Los Angeles)

Lacombe, to be exact.

Four men, apparently armed, invaded a house, homeowner shot all four. killing two and wounding two. Homeowner's 4 yo daughter was wounded, but expected to "make a full recovery." Of the wounded miscreants, one is in critical condition, the other stable (and is father of one of the dead). The two wounded miscreants will be charged with first degree murder in the deaths of their cohorts, armed robbery, and "home invasion" (I didn't know that was actually a statutory crime). Homeowner is not facing any charges.

ETA: just realized I didn't put a link in.
    Two killed, three wounded in Lacombe house; 4-year-old among the injured | Crime/Police | nola.com

Last edited:

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Ne'er-do-well with gun enters a phone store in Maplewood (suburban St Louis) and tries to rob it. Solo clerk pulls his own gun and shoots robber three times, sending him to hospital. Cops say looks like self-defense to them.

Why do I call the robber 'ne'er-do-well"

Whelp:
    Authorities say the robbery suspect has an extensive criminal history involving burglaries and robberies.

and wait for it...
    The suspect was wearing an ankle bracelet for monitoring while he was out on bond after his arrest for allegedly robbing a Washington University student in February.
    https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2020/dec/10/store-clerk-shoots-robbery-suspect-in-maplewood/

Eagle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 29, 2020
    Greenwood
    Ne'er-do-well with gun enters a phone store in Maplewood (suburban St Louis) and tries to rob it. Solo clerk pulls his own gun and shoots robber three times, sending him to hospital. Cops say looks like self-defense to them.

Why do I call the robber 'ne'er-do-well"

Whelp:

and wait for it...

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2020/dec/10/store-clerk-shoots-robbery-suspect-in-maplewood/

It’s good to see the police stating it looks like self defense. In some states they’ll arrest you first and you practically have to prove your innocence.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    It’s good to see the police stating it looks like self defense. In some states they’ll arrest you first and you practically have to prove your innocence.

Maplewood is Saint Louis County. Big difference from Stl City, particularly with LEO.

And that ankle bracelet sure did a lot of good...

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Top Bottom