• Status
    Not open for further replies.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    On occasion, during the day or late at night, I think of how reality took a jog step in March 2020. There is no going back to normal from this point on. Behavior will change. There are a few obvious big things, like crowded arenas and stadiums, or the end of the densely packed jumbo jet. And then there are the little changes. Shaking hands, accepting cash in lieu of a swept iPhone app or plastic.

The change list is large. And those are only the first-order effects. Who knows where the iterations can possibly end?

All this is to say, I don't think we will see an organized conspiracy of the left. Media-intensified fear is already gurgling in the bowels of those who have previously only known safety. Post-2020 civilization became less free last month. There is no unwinding that watch.

But we can make damn sure that watch isn't self-winding and make sure no one winds it any more

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    You sound like my wife....

I don't talk in thought process regarding secular subjects...I talk in stream of consciousness like we were sitting in a bar.

I save thought process for conversations that really matter.

Conversation where no one can unambiguously discern when you are in error and opinions have value. Got it. Lots of people like that playground

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    It will be unwound. It might take time but it will be unwound by teenagers. I guarantee they will be making out and having sex and most will get by with it just fine and that will spread and it will be unwound.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    It sort of depends on how much you believe that chart.

there are so many levels of people sitting around capturing data to report to .gov about our compliance to "core measures". we have a ton of people employed by the hospital to KEEP PEOPLE OUT OF THE HOSPITAL. how stupid is that? it's like a restaurant paying employees to reduce customer count. sure, there's the "greater good" argument, but why should that be at the hospital's expense?

number of physicians at my hospital not up much in 10 years. but sooo many layers of admin to collect and report data. absurd. and all of that is to try to avoid being penalized by the government on payments. would be amazing if we actually got that staff for clinical duties... how amazing would that be

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    See the UPDATE at the bottom of this article: https://thefederalist.com/2020/04/10/indiana-governor-to-churches-worship-as-i-say-or-be-shut-down/

So he's essentially backtracking on the religious restrictions. (Yes technically there never were restrictions, but...) So at least no one will actually be arrested for religious observance, but this is still part of a very concerning trend nationwide.

"Shall make no law... Prohibiting the free exercise of [religion]" -1st Amendment

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

You left out an important bit of language. The Bill of Rights primarily limits the federal government and constrains its power. The states have considerably more leeway embodied in the governor and the state legislature. The courts are what actually smack down overreach, with SCOTUS being the ultimate arbiter of what's constitutional. Remember that when thinking you can safely ignore who will be picking future SCOTUS nominees and remember how your governor treated you when the chance (hopefully) arises to revisit state emergency powers legislatively. Most importantly, remember how Northam acted when he had only a nominal majority in VA and how all the talk of the need to represent all the people is just that, talk, once they have the power

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    You left out an important bit of language. The Bill of Rights primarily limits the federal government and constrains its power.

The 14th Amendment and the accompanying court decisions pretty well extended to the states most of those same restrictions that were originally placed on only the Federal government.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    You left out an important bit of language. The Bill of Rights primarily limits the federal government and constrains its power. The states have considerably more leeway embodied in the governor and the state legislature. The courts are what actually smack down overreach, with SCOTUS being the ultimate arbiter of what's constitutional. Remember that when thinking you can safely ignore who will be picking future SCOTUS nominees and remember how your governor treated you when the chance (hopefully) arises to revisit state emergency powers legislatively. Most importantly, remember how Northam acted when he had only a nominal majority in VA and how all the talk of the need to represent all the people is just that, talk, once they have the power

Hasty copy-paste job from Wikipedia:

[h=3]Amendment I[edit][/h]Guarantee against establishment of religion

Guarantee of free exercise of religion

Guarantee of freedom of speech

Guarantee of freedom of the press

Guarantee of freedom of assembly

Guarantee of the right to petition for redress of grievances

Guarantee of freedom of expressive association

• This right, though not in the words of the first amendment, was first mentioned in the case NAACP v. Alabama, 357 U.S. 449 (1958)[SUP][28][/SUP] and was at that time applied to the states. See also Roberts v. United States Jaycees, 468 U.S. 609 (1984), where the U.S. Supreme Court held that "implicit in the right to engage in activities protected by the First Amendment" is "a corresponding right to associate with others in pursuit of a wide variety of political, social, economic, educational, religious, and cultural ends."

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Hasty copy-paste job from Wikipedia:

Amendment I[edit]

Guarantee against establishment of religion

Guarantee of free exercise of religion

Guarantee of freedom of speech

Guarantee of freedom of the press

Guarantee of freedom of assembly

Guarantee of the right to petition for redress of grievances

Guarantee of freedom of expressive association

• This right, though not in the words of the first amendment, was first mentioned in the case NAACP v. Alabama, 357 U.S. 449 (1958)[SUP][28][/SUP] and was at that time applied to the states. See also Roberts v. United States Jaycees, 468 U.S. 609 (1984), where the U.S. Supreme Court held that "implicit in the right to engage in activities protected by the First Amendment" is "a corresponding right to associate with others in pursuit of a wide variety of political, social, economic, educational, religious, and cultural ends."

So, it is the courts that limit any overreach by the states (which is essentially what I said). D'accord

Quoting stare decisis to officer brownshirt probably isn't going to get him to cease and desist. Did you notice that the latest tightening of the clampdown, by Michigans Democratic governor, limits the right to travel anywhere to just what's necessary to get food and medicine or take care of sick family or their pets; and restricts what stores can sell other than groceries by ordering them to close paint and garden departments, for example, because people should not be shopping for those items. We are seeing a weakness develop in the redress/judicial revue checks on government overreach because the courts are being hamstrung by the same restrictions we are. This is bad because of what the next step might be if redress cannot be sought within normal channels

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    This is exactly what I'm talking about:

So, out of a facility that houses 75 people, we have 16 who tested positive, and another 8 suspected. And (at least based on what is being reported), no evidence that the deaths were caused by COVID19 - and even if they were, it's a nursing home, which means that there were likely underlying conditions involved.

That said, what is very clear is that we absolutely need to have protocols in place to keep the most at-risk/vulnerable isolated as much as possible. That seems clear to me, regardless of what any rates, curves, or statistics tell us. We know this virus is particularly dangerous for a particular subset, and we need to do what we can to protect that subset.

So a third of them died within a period of a couple of weeks. The probability of that happening without a cause (e.g. COVID-19) is highly unlikely.

I think we're really splitting hairs by trying to prove it's not caused by COVID-19.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    there are so many levels of people sitting around capturing data to report to .gov about our compliance to "core measures". we have a ton of people employed by the hospital to KEEP PEOPLE OUT OF THE HOSPITAL. how stupid is that? it's like a restaurant paying employees to reduce customer count. sure, there's the "greater good" argument, but why should that be at the hospital's expense?

number of physicians at my hospital not up much in 10 years. but sooo many layers of admin to collect and report data. absurd. and all of that is to try to avoid being penalized by the government on payments. would be amazing if we actually got that staff for clinical duties... how amazing would that be

I hear you. I worked at a large medical facility for 35 years and have seen all the admin overhead there is.
    My point is the yellow chart implies like Holy F*****g S*** 95% of the cost of medical care is admin! We know that isn't true.
    The green chart says the admin cost is way too high at 8.3%. Different presentation.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    If those of you following along at home cannot see this is a fear propelled power grab by the governments of the world you are not paying attention to the details. The ONLY entity that has actually prospered throughout this "pandemic" (pandemic goes in scare quotes until it is several orders of magnitude worse than h1n1) is government itself.

As Rush Limbagh noted this week, the doctors leading this are giddy at the prospect that we can exert all this government control over the people of this country, and they do it through fear.

...a couple days ago, the briefing. It’s Dr. Birx basically saying she can’t believe how thoroughly the global public health types could crack down on people and control their behavior and the power that it gives them — and they’re gonna do it next time. You see, ’til now this was all theoretical. This was a pipe dream to these people.

But now they’ve actually executed it, and they’re excited. Dr. Birx. Here’s the transcript. I want you to listen to this. Listen to this. Just the first paragraph’s all it’s gonna take. “And I think when this is over, we’ll really be — all of the models were based on something we have never attempted to do anywhere in the world. We have never attempted to do this kind of mitigation. It was always theoretic to many individuals.

“And now we see, across the globe, people mitigating against this virus, realizing that their own behaviors can change the course and future of this virus in their communities, which is really astounding: the power that gives us to actually understand that we can compete against this virus and do well.” “The power that gives us…”

You understand that nobody elected Dr. Birx? That nobody elected Dr. Fauci? And they are thrilled! “We’ve never attempted to shut down the world, and now we’ve done it. It was always theoretic,” meaning they were talking about it amongst themselves: Wouldn’t it be cool to be able to shut down the world for whatever reason we want? “And now we see across the globe people mitigating,” meaning: Staying home, shutting down, social distancing.

We have environmental groups and the Pope saying that the virus is good for the planet, this is their dream for us!

The sheeple are the ones going along with them and their fake models that have been disastrously wrong...

Oh, and the pure as driven snow Fauci, that only cares about research, wants Brad Pitt to play him. Probably after he writes that $10 million book...

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    I interpret this paragraph in a completely different way. But to each his own.

“And now we see, across the globe, people mitigating against this virus, realizing that their own behaviors can change the course and future of this virus in their communities, which is really astounding: the power that gives us to actually understand that we can compete against this virus and do well.” “The power that gives us…”

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Damn Straight!
    Nobody's going to tell me to stay home! HELL NO!

Nobody's going to keep me from going to church! HELL NO!

Nobody's going to squash my right to get infected and die! HELL NO!

Let's show them who's boss and go spread the [STRIKE]word[/STRIKE] bug! YAAAAAAA!

olmW5Xh.jpg

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I interpret this paragraph in a completely different way. But to each his own.

Same. To me it reads that there’s never been such a large-scale mitigation effort that’s actually been successfully applied. I’m sure lots of doctors have wondered “what if everyone just stayed home, what impact would it have?”

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Same. To me it reads that there’s never been such a large-scale mitigation effort that’s actually been successfully applied. I’m sure lots of doctors have wondered “what if everyone just stayed home, what impact would it have?”

Time will certainly tell. We may get the answer to that question if when Trump and the governors go to flip on the economy switch.

There’s a price to be paid for every decision.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom