• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • intergalactic

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I have an event setup on Facebook (mostly to help remind me of the next show) for the Indy 1500. It is a public event and I update it at the end of each show with the dates of the next show.

People also use it to exchange information and ask questions. In one string of Q & A an individual posted that he always carries loaded at the show and will not remove his firearm or unload it for any reason.

Be careful, there are unsafe people walking amongst us!

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    ...an individual posted that he always carries loaded at the show and will not remove his firearm or unload it for any reason.
    There is nothing inherently dangerous about carrying a loaded firearm. The dangerous part is when you begin to handle a firearm. So long as the firearm remains holstered - I see no issue with it personally.

intergalactic

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Indianapolis
    While I agree with your statement rules are rules and it is when someone breaks the rules that usually lead to accidents (even if the rules are legally just requests) or more strict rules.
    The risk of being at the show locked and loaded and have your shirt come up when paying a merchant exposing your holstered untied firearm is not worth the hassle that you would get.
    That is just my thought anyway.

Nate Suns

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    Fishers
    ok, serious question here based on total inexperience...

I've seen the barrels outside buildings when I visited a military base a couple of years ago, but I've never been in the military, never seen one used, and am new to guns in general.

What is the proper procedure for using them? When I first saw them I thought soldiers simply fired into the barrel to empty the gun (true). Now that I have read a few comments I realize that is probably wrong.

Does a person simply point the muzzle in the barrel as they remove a loaded mag and eject the cartridge that was in the barrel? (This wasn't covered in my NRA basic pistol class.)

Does anyone else feel that there will be people that get the same idea to remove the mag and fire the chambered round into the barrel and won't think to ask someone before hand? Not everyone at these shows has common sense or foresight.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Does anyone else feel that there will be people that get the same idea to remove the mag and fire the chambered round into the barrel and won't think to ask someone before hand? Not everyone at these shows has common sense or foresight.
    I carry personal protection ammo in my gun... Doing so would be like pulling a couple dollars out of my pocket and setting them on fire...

But there are idiots out there, that's for sure.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    My first 1500. Waiting at check-in (trying to soak in all the eyecandy) while a guy in front of me is fiddling with an AR until a LEO finally yells at him to just stop and hand him the rifle. Clear the magazine (full of rounds) and lo and behold a round in the chamber.
    I think he missed the barrels on his way in?

Overall a good experience, although I am told it was slow. Met a few INGO'ers and Advertisers! A few deals to be had. Ammo was rough so I passed. Was tempted to get another m&p22 pistol at $300! Checkbook wasn't having any of that though.

PurduePharmD

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2012
    Atlanta
    Kirk, I took this pic just for you

IMG_20130314_183509_zpsade9e274.jpg

I just read this whole thread and found no fantastic reason why I can't (but still would) conduct a gun transaction outside of the building where the 1500 is housed, all but 2 people stopped reading after the unload warning...I almost called Garrison on open-phones Friday today to see if he knew....ANYBODY?

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I just read this whole thread and found no fantastic reason why I can't (but still would) conduct a gun transaction outside of the building where the 1500 is housed, all but 2 people stopped reading after the unload warning...I almost called Garrison on open-phones Friday today to see if he knew....ANYBODY?
    They don't want people [who also likely haven't paid to get in] standing around outside and harassing people on their way in/out to buy/sell XYZ.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Speaking as the foreigner (buckeye) that I am, and trying desperately not to sound like "Well, this is the way WE do it...." we have the same rule at OGCA shows. I dont know (because I should have researched it before I opened my mouth) if the 1500 is members only but our shows are, so we have a bit more control over behavior. At the door all firearms are inspected by senior club members (volunteers) and then (unfortunately) have their actions zip-tied open (anaethema to those of us who like to fondle the merchandise). We feel this gives us a high level of safety while perhaps placing a little more legal responsibility on the organization but arguably not much more than we already had as event organizers. We dont even allow sales ANYWHERE in the parking lot of the venue, under penalty of expulsion. This is to move all sales and hopefully all gunhandling into the controlled environment and helps enforce the members only stipulation. There cant be "unofficial" sales at the event. Its not to forclose this type of transaction but to move it offsite where responsibility doesnt fall onto the club

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Upon further review it seems the 1500 is not an INGO event but that they have listened to INGO concerns,so: Another idea that might be liked, based on my reading of some posts, is we specify gun handling rules (ie: sighting down the barrel of the weapon requires it be aimed at the ceiling, specifically). We have, for want of a better term, proctors (senior members with gravitas) who can issue warnings to vendor OR MEMBER/GUEST about unsafe handling with escalating penalties for repeat violations. I suspect having direct INGO involvement would be a serious liability issue but perhaps the 1500s organizers would run with the idea

meegz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2013
    Delaware County
    The only time I can recall being around a ND was at a 1500. And it was a dealer. So, unless they step up their enforcing of the big NO LOADED WEAPONS signs quite a bit (I know quite a few of the dealers were carrying loaded for quite a few years, haven't been to the shows lately so I don't know how much that has changed) I doubt this will help.

Top Bottom