• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    The sand barrel will not make safer gun handling. It will simply provide a safer direction when people handle their pistols unsafely.

Exactly, we've had fatalities at clearing barrels, I hope they don't inadverdently cause more problems due to a false sense of safety etc. I'll have to check it out in person it looks kind of awkward to use like you really have to reach in there to it. This sign next to a clearing barrel was only shot about four times when I took the picture.

BenningClearingBarrel.jpg

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Whoever is responsible for this, thank you!

The sand barrel will not make safer gun handling.

I respectfully disagree in that any accidental discharge upon loading or unloading will not have a Rule #4 violation.

Good muzzle discipline does not require a barrel of sand.

Rics do not always obey the rules.

Now we just need to get people walking around with their booger hooks on the bang switches to stop doing that.

Sometimes you can do everything right, but the gun still goes bang. Hey, have I told you guys about the 870 at Shootrite?:D

Exactly, we've had fatalities at clearing barrels, I hope they don't inadverdently cause more problems due to a false sense of safety etc.

An excellent point.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    No outside sales!!!?!?!?!?

I don't know about the 1500, but some of the local shows I've been to put those signs up because people were blocking the doors. They'll hang around the entrance with their guns for sale and get in everyone's way.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I've said it a hundred times. Give someone to safely discharge a firearm, and someone will safely discharge a firearm.

I'm torn on the barrels. I've never needed one because I have eyes and a brain. A lot to ask for the multitude of knuckle-draggers out there. I would rather the excited idiot do it into the barrel than be over confident and do it where the lead spatter will catch my ankles. But, you can't ignore that putting a barrel out there isn't just a dare waiting to happen.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    If you have to take your carry handgun out of it's holster to unload it, or are loading it on the way out, the barrel gives you a safe direction to point the muzzle while unloading it, right? Nothing it perfect, but that seems like a good thing to me.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    This is a good idea. It is an improvement, argue trivial points if you want, this will help.

adws943

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    THIS is a great idea. It should be used for inspection and zip tying before entry to the show. If you are emptied and cleared before entry there should no NDs. Period.

As a SP we used these at the beginning and of every shift at the armoury. It is better blow away a clearing barrel instead of a bystander. I appauld this action. +++:patriot:

JonProphet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I saw this one the way out. Felt like an idiot for walking right by it and unloading (safely) as I was briskly walking to get to the door. I didn't see the barrel until after I left. =(

-JD-

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    I think with the HUGE influx of new gun owners, this is a good idea.

You do not need to know the 4 safety rules to purchase a gun.... I actually no longer feel safe at the indoor range because half of the people there have owned their AR for a month and have only shot it 1-2 times.

When you see 90% of them do a mag change and use the charging handle to release the bolt rather than the bolt release button, you know they aren't familiar with their weapon system. Thats not to say that they are going to muzzle sweep everyone... but it does make me a little more weary.

With that said... knowing all 4 safety rules doesn't make one infallible either, but inexperience in itself can increase the chances of a ND.

Having clearing barrels might at the very least spark the interest of new gun owners to ask questions about their purpose and how to correctly use them.

Top Bottom