Kirk, I took this pic just for you

IMG_20130314_183509_zpsade9e274.jpg

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    The 1500 powers that be read INGO. They are open to suggestions and want to make the shows as safe and pleasant as possible! They saw all of the comments and made this change! :ingo:

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    The sand barrel will not make safer gun handling. It will simply provide a safer direction when people handle their pistols unsafely.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    The sand barrel will not make safer gun handling. It will simply provide a safer direction when people handle their pistols unsafely.

True, but preventing injury is the point. We wouldn't have our guns zip-tied if it wasn't for the knuckleheads either. Sometimes you just have to deal with the lowest common denominator.

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)

Isn't ensuring you maintain good muzzle discipline part of ensuring safe gun handling? Why is the barrel only valid for those who handle their guns unsafely? The barrel is just a tool that aids in safer clearing of firearms by providing a readily available backstop in case of AD or ND.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Isn't ensuring you maintain good muzzle discipline part of ensuring safe gun handling? Why is the barrel only valid for those who handle their guns unsafely? The barrel is just a tool that aids in safer clearing of firearms by providing a readily available backstop in case of AD or ND.
    if everyone always practiced safe gun handling, there would be no need to unload or even tie off guns.

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    if everyone always practiced safe gun handling, there would be no need to unload or even tie off guns.

No doubt but one could reasonably argue that since we "have" to clear and we are in the city surrounded by people, buildings and other things we shouldn't want to shoot that providing a place for safe muzzle direction is responsible and can be used by those following safe handling practices. I'm not arguing the fact that we shouldn't be unholstering at all only that since we do this is responsible and can be used by those who practice safe gun handling.

btwelch

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    I hope anyone who argues this barrel is a "bad idea" will stay home because I don't want to be around that self-rightous @$$ when he has his own ND while pointing in my direction.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy

Good muzzle discipline does not require a barrel of sand.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I approve of this measure. I agree that it won't make unsafe handlers better, but I hope it will reduce the likelihood of an injury due to gun handling at the door.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    :+1: Indy 1500 PTB!

Shay, you're right, good muzzle discipline doesn't require sand. Having it there removes one more excuse the knuckleheads have, though, and may coax the reluctant ones into safe behavior.

Should they need it? No, but it can't hurt to have it there.

:twocents:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    In a perfect world these would be unnecessary. But unfortunately people are too fond of pulling triggers while pointing at body parts as they exit the show.

HiRoller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Indianapolis East
    Good improvement for safety's sake, but I see the Jackbooted Thugs swarming this barrel and and counting rounds of those who think they are supposed to fire their chambered round into it !!! Most ND's I've seen are on the way out the door and those good folks will walk right by the trap.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    pakman415
    Top Bottom