• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Too bad every place in the world won't have a barrel of sand to make up for bad gun handling.

Reports: Father accidentally shoots, kills 10-month-old son in front of family - U.S. News

Every place in the world has a stack of phone books.

There is a consequences to not using backstops and thinking that "MEYE common sense" will prevent firearms from discharging like some sort of Jedi mind trick.

There is a consequence to thinking that guns do not discharge without fingers on triggers.

There is a consequence to thinking that parking lots are magical and guns can be loaded and unloaded there safely.

Magnum

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    North Indy

JLL101

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2013
    Central Indiana
    Newer member with possible dumb comments/questions, but it seems that I have read that it is illegal to carry a loaded gun on the fairgrounds. I have always unloaded my CC before entering the grounds and reloaded it after departure. Can anyone clarify what the rule is? The first sign shown implies that one can carry loaded guns on the fairgrounds but just not into the show. And what do you do with the ammo? Carry it in your pocket? Also, the gentleman's question - "Does the sign no outside sales apply to the vendors only?" is of interest to me as I have seen numerous transactions in the waiting lines over the years. Does anyone know the answer to his question or should we interpret the statement completely literally? Thanks.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Newer member with possible dumb comments/questions, but it seems that I have read that it is illegal to carry a loaded gun on the fairgrounds.

The law was "no carrying at the State Fair"--the event, not the venue. Carrying at the Fairgrounds is just fine.

However it is the policy of the Indy1500 Gun Show to not allow folks to carry loaded guns into the show. But that's their policy, not the law.

Pokagon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2013
    These are outside every single building on a military base so why not this. I think it is a great idea for the random oops.
    ok, serious question here based on total inexperience...

I've seen the barrels outside buildings when I visited a military base a couple of years ago, but I've never been in the military, never seen one used, and am new to guns in general.

What is the proper procedure for using them? When I first saw them I thought soldiers simply fired into the barrel to empty the gun (true). Now that I have read a few comments I realize that is probably wrong.

Does a person simply point the muzzle in the barrel as they remove a loaded mag and eject the cartridge that was in the barrel? (This wasn't covered in my NRA basic pistol class.)

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    The sand is just a backstop in case of an AD, not a target.

Every time, every single time, you load or unload your firearm it can discharge without your finger on the trigger. The sand in there to catch the round that slam fires instead of ending up in your hand or on 38th Street in a mini van full of kids.

Regardless of what you hear in gun stores, parking lots are not magic safe zones. "Jist unload eet in th' parkin' lawt.":laugh:

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    So how many people died/shot an eye out at or near a barrel? I read this thread and all the bad things people said would happen... Did any of it happen?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Not allowing loaded firearms at the show is part of the requirements for them to have liability insurance. And quite frankly, I have seen how some people handle their guns, I don't care to have a bunch of incompetent idiots endangering my family. So, I am thankful for a bit of extra help for those who need it. Not to mention it's a great safe place for those who follow the 4.

Top Bottom