• ...and so much more!
  • chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I thought they arose with systematic theology.

However, I don't see those terms in the index of Wayne Grudem's book of that name.
    It was mostly used as a motto - a guidepost of sorts. It's the principle behind why I don't get into contentious debates with Catholics, for example.

45sRfun

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well THIS was interesting. Jesus' birthday is actually Sept 11, 3 BC? Interesting theory backed by prophecy/astronomical/astrological data.

I'm not buying in 100%, but it is rather interesting.

The author of this book makes the case that Jesus was born on 25 December and that the only alternative is he was conceived on 25 December"

"But is it reasonable to think that Jesus was born on December 25? If one holds to a three and a half year ministry of Jesus (as I do), there are only two credible theories for the birth of Christ from the Biblical and historical evidence: 1) that Jesus was conceived on December 25 and born in September, or 2) that Jesus was conceived in March and born on December 25. No other dates have any solid evidence.56 They are all based on conjecture. The first posits a conception of Jesus on December 25 and His birth in Fall during the Festival of Tabernacles. The other posits a conception on March 25 and a birth on December 25. It is my view that the second alternative has the strongest evidence in its favor; but on either view, Chislev 25 (and the festival of Hanukkah) has great significance."

It goes on to discuss these two possibilities.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Like I said. Not a hill I'm dying on. Its an interesting theory that appears to be based on science.

But to me, it makes absolutely zero difference. Nothing is changing. Nobody is going to try to move Christmas day. (besides, Christians co-opted the pagan holiday to try to convert them and/or drown them out with our own celebration)

To me this is on the same level as knowing how tall he was or if he was left or right handed. This far removed from the event, its just another detail that really doesnt change anything.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    After studying this out I stand with my original statement. It was the 6th month of the Jewish calendar.

The way Luke recorded this it's talking about the sixth month in the Jewish calendar.
    So it's in the 6th month which also happens to be Elizabeth's sixth month of pregnancy, but in this context when we look at it grammatically it is not in regard to Elizabeth.
    It is in regard to the sixth month on the Jewish calendar. The biblical calendar, and why is that important?
    Because this month the sixth month is the month that is set aside in a unique way for repentance. What is that? Turning to God, and we see that Christ he was conceived in the sixth month.

historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart
    We put his birth in December because, back in history, it was believed that saints who lived holy lives died perfectly (precisely the date they were conceived). We celebrate Christmas in December because it is (drumroll please) approximately nine months after Good Friday!

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    We put his birth in December because, back in history, it was believed that saints who lived holy lives died perfectly (precisely the date they were conceived). We celebrate Christmas in December because it is (drumroll please) approximately nine months after Good Friday!
    It is exactly 9 months after the Annunciation :) To the day! Mar 25th - Dec 25th.

Vodnik4

Aspiring Redneck
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2021
    Monroe
    LOL. Julian or Gregorian!!!

I'll go with Revised Julian for the win :)

Let the westerners follow the Pope, even if they don't know it!
    It’s kinda nice to be on the Julian. Dec 25 goes by with its glitter and pomp, leaving Jan 7 to be purely about Christ’s birth.
    Have done that for decades when living other places and attending more Old World churches. Now my local parish is Antiochan, and it’s weird to be on the Gregorian, with the rest of the world. I don’t feel as special anymore :)

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    It’s kinda nice to be on the Julian. Dec 25 goes by with its glitter and pomp, leaving Jan 7 to be purely about Christ’s birth.
    Have done that for decades when living other places and attending more Old World churches. Now my local parish is Antiochan, and it’s weird to be on the Gregorian, with the rest of the world. I don’t feel as special anymore :)
    You are revised Julian not Gregorian :) ACROD calendar is parish dependent.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Amazing that you don't even consider the lunar calendar that Christ probably went by.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Amazing that you don't even consider the lunar calendar that Christ probably went by.
    Not sure if this is a general comment or a reply to me.

In what ways do you go by or consider the lunar calendar?

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    I haven’t gone back a ton in this thread to fully check but has the show “The Chosen” been discussed? Thinking of giving it a whirl after seeing some interviews with the producer and lead characters.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Be ye of good courage my brethren, and comforted.

1 Thessalonians 4:15 For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep. 4:16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: 4:17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. 4:18 Wherefore comfort one another with these words.

Top Bottom