• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    I am a 1911 guy. I love my 1911, and I plan on keeping it around for a very long time. I am also a revolver guy. The reliability factor (yeah I know, get a glock lol) just really sticks in my mind. If you're like me, and must have both, how do you handle the difference in trigger pull? Do you carry both on a regular basis? Honestly, I am probably more comfortable shooting my dad's revolver than I am my 1911, but I carry the 1911 because it's mine, and my dad already carries his with him. I've been thinking about trading the 1911 for a revolver for the issue of comfort, but I just can't bring myself to do it. Should I sell a gun I love to get a gun I'm more comfortable with?

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    I carried a 1911 for a long time. I started carrying a smith model 64, and later a 66. When I tried to go back to the 1911 and it felt terrible in my hand and I frequently forgot about the safety. Because of this I retired the 1911 as a carry piece. If I really wanted to carry it again all I'd have to do is train train train, but the price of that ammo makes me stick to my round gun.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    My opinion, carry what is the most comfortable for you. If you carry gun is not comortable and easy for you to shoot. To me, it is pointless for you to carry. I went through several handguns, before I found something I really liked.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    My opinion, carry a big-ass Dirty Harry revolver in .44 magnum, no matter what's comfortable for you or what you shoot well or any silliness like that. Get a shiny one and a blued, and you're set for all occasions. Well, maybe a Desert Eagle in .50AE for special occasions.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    If you like your .45, try something with about a 1/3rd more 'punch'...like a .357mag revolver.

There's several different manufacturers out there; Charter Arms, Ruger, Smith & Wesson, Taurus, etc...all make .357's...but, in my opinion, you just can't beat a Ruger GP100 or SP101 for reliability, accuracy, comfort, fit, feel...etc.

Also, there's so many aftermarket grips and holsters to choose from you will find one that feels just right to you!

For Grips: Badger Customs, Hogue, Pachmyer, Trausch, etc.

For Holsters: too many to count, really, but I personally like the Bianchi Model 7, 3-Slot, Snap holsters for comfort and concealment. (I have this holster for both my GP100 and SP101's in .357mag.)

For Night Sights: Meprolight, XS Sights, Trijicon's, etc...there are several to choose from!

My suggestion, find some friends who have different revolvers and shoot them...and then buy / trade for the one you like best!

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    I am a 1911 guy. I love my 1911, and I plan on keeping it around for a very long time. I am also a revolver guy. The reliability factor (yeah I know, get a glock lol) just really sticks in my mind. If you're like me, and must have both, how do you handle the difference in trigger pull? Do you carry both on a regular basis? Honestly, I am probably more comfortable shooting my dad's revolver than I am my 1911, but I carry the 1911 because it's mine, and my dad already carries his with him. I've been thinking about trading the 1911 for a revolver for the issue of comfort, but I just can't bring myself to do it. Should I sell a gun I love to get a gun I'm more comfortable with?
    I will quote Clint Smith of Thunder Ranch, "A handgun should be comforting, not comfortable". I carry, most of the time anyway, my Smith and Wesson chambered in .40. Why? Because my LCP is really not the gun I want to get into a gunfight with. I personally would keep the 1911 and just save my money until I could buy a nice quality revolver in lets say .357 or .44. JMHO.

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    I will quote Clint Smith of Thunder Ranch, "A handgun should be comforting, not comfortable". I carry, most of the time anyway, my Smith and Wesson chambered in .40. Why? Because my LCP is really not the gun I want to get into a gunfight with. I personally would keep the 1911 and just save my money until I could buy a nice quality revolver in lets say .357 or .44. JMHO.

I'm not necessarily talking about comfort while carrying, I'm talking about comfort while shooting. To me that includes the ability to hit my target consistently at 21 ft (minimum). I feel I do much better with a revolver than I do with my 1911. I would practice more if I could afford the ammo at this point lol.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    I'm not necessarily talking about comfort while carrying, I'm talking about comfort while shooting. To me that includes the ability to hit my target consistently at 21 ft (minimum). I feel I do much better with a revolver than I do with my 1911. I would practice more if I could afford the ammo at this point lol.
    Man, thats strange. I find most pistols have a better trigger and sights than do most revolvers. I can shoot much better with a pistol myself, but then again I have had way more practice with one than a revolver too.

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    Man, thats strange. I find most pistols have a better trigger and sights than do most revolvers. I can shoot much better with a pistol myself, but then again I have had way more practice with one than a revolver too.

I thought about getting the trigger in 1911 done. I think that would help some too.

cowboywitek

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 12, 2010
    Noblesville IN

I am totally with you. sometime this year I'm gonna pick up a 1911 cause there just awesome handguns, feel good and its the 100 anniversary. anyway currently I carry a S&W 686 4". yeah I know big gun to carry, but I like big guns, and I am more of a wheelgunner because of how they feel, balance, and accuracy. it is hard to conceal, but you find ways when thats all you got. hopefully soon I want to get the ruger sp101, which would make a great CC gun.
    Tim

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon

No reason you can't find a revolver you would love too :)

Socomike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    carry what is comfortable. Train more with your 1911 and it will feel more like a part of you. That said, If a revolver will make you sleep better at night, I would carry that. Either way, training is essential.

geno2k

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2011
    No matter what you carry the first thing on your mind probably shouldn't be the gun. You should carry whatever you can operate with the least amount of deliberation. Your thoughts should really be occupied with how to get out of whatever situation you are in without having to use it. Obviously not to the extent that you and yours suffer harm but extracting yourrself from the problem is always the best option. Having said that, carry the one that allows you to concentrate on the problems at hand.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    No matter what you carry the first thing on your mind probably shouldn't be the gun. You should carry whatever you can operate with the least amount of deliberation. Your thoughts should really be occupied with how to get out of whatever situation you are in without having to use it. Obviously not to the extent that you and yours suffer harm but extracting yourrself from the problem is always the best option. Having said that, carry the one that allows you to concentrate on the problems at hand.

^^^This

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond

This is probably the best advice I've heard in this thread so far. Thanks. :+1:

Larryjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Portland, IN
    You have to get the gun you are comfortable with for edc but I think you will be sorry later if you sell the 1911. Keep it if you can at all. A few years down the road you be happy you did.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011

If you are getting rid of the 1911, let me know what kind it is and how much you want for it.

Top Bottom