• ...and so much more!
  • JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    They make money by selling ad space which gets its value from being in front of your eyes. You’re the product. It’s not wrong. They have to make money somehow.
    I understand that but Brave has no ads. None , zero :cool:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I understand that but Brave has no ads. None , zero :cool:
    Doesn’t Brave have their own ad placement? You can turn it off I think. And they gave something called Brave attention tokens? So they’re making money off your usage. Not that there’s anything wrong with that per se. Chrome tracks pretty much everything you do.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Is thisun stuff anything like Compuserve? (If you know what that is, you’re officially older than dirt)
    A little newer than Compuserve, but I think my first internet service came from one of those AOL disks you could get (for free?) to install on your computer. Of course it was dial up with that annoying fax machine noise when it was connecting.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I decided to go back to Firefox, at least until I can figure some more things out with Brave. It wasn't playing nice with my credit union site. I'm sure it's a setting I need to turn on or off, but it kept thinking I was signing in for the first time from this computer and making me jump through too many hoops.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I decided to go back to Firefox, at least until I can figure some more things out with Brave. It wasn't playing nice with my credit union site. I'm sure it's a setting I need to turn on or off, but it kept thinking I was signing in for the first time from this computer and making me jump through too many hoops.
    Yep, like the others have said, if you block all cookies it's also blocking session cookies, which is how many sites identify you and establish a session that you're logged into. If it can't do that, then it's like you've never established a session and it doesn't know you've logged in.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    They make money by selling ad space which gets its value from being in front of your eyes. You’re the product. It’s not wrong. They have to make money somehow.
    Only If you opt in.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Only If you opt in.
    Sure. The BAT is an interesting idea. But they still make their money by valuing their ad space based on your views. If no one opts in, their ad space is worth ****, and they don't get paid. If they don't get paid, they'll stop supporting the browser.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Sure. The BAT is an interesting idea. But they still make their money by valuing their ad space based on your views. If no one opts in, their ad space is worth ****, and they don't get paid. If they don't get paid, they'll stop supporting the browser.
    But I can choose not to view ads. How do they value me? Or are you saying y'all

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    I'm riding the no ad Brave pony for as long as it's free. If in the future thye want me to pay I'll find something else.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Yep, like the others have said, if you block all cookies it's also blocking session cookies, which is how many sites identify you and establish a session that you're logged into. If it can't do that, then it's like you've never established a session and it doesn't know you've logged in.
    Yeah, it's cookies I'm sure, but Brave has like 12 different ways to handle cookies (I may be exaggerating a little, but it's not just one simple switch to throw). I don't want to have to go through and white list every freaking website, so I need to find the setting to allow them on all websites.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I only wish there was a direct package to install Brave on Linux.

What do you mean? Like from an official (ubuntu/centos) distro repo rather than than Brave's own repo with signing keys?
    I think I know what you mean and I agree it would be nice to be able to directly download a tgz to extract into a local bin dir like Firefox does, keeping it completely separate from the O/S.

In Linux Mate I did:

curl -fsSLo /usr/share/keyrings/brave-browser-archive-keyring.gpg https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com/brave-browser-archive-keyring.gpg echo "deb [signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/brave-browser-archive-keyring.gpg arch=amd64] https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com/ stable main"| tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/brave-browser-release.list apt update apt install brave-browser

Top Bottom