• ...and so much more!
  • wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    What do you mean? Like from an official (ubuntu/centos) distro repo rather than than Brave's own repo with signing keys?
    I think I know what you mean and I agree it would be nice to be able to directly download a tgz to extract into a local bin dir like Firefox does, keeping it completely separate from the O/S.

In Linux Mate I did:

curl -fsSLo /usr/share/keyrings/brave-browser-archive-keyring.gpg https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com/brave-browser-archive-keyring.gpg echo "deb [signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/brave-browser-archive-keyring.gpg arch=amd64] https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com/ stable main"| tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/brave-browser-release.list apt update apt install brave-browser

It's been a while since I looked, but I think there was just the instructions on the Brave site for installing. Hadn't tried it as I haven't been using Linux as much lately. Do those instructions work for Linux Mint? Not as familiar with Linux as I was (older) versions of Windoze.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    It's been a while since I looked, but I think there was just the instructions on the Brave site for installing. Hadn't tried it as I haven't been using Linux as much lately. Do those instructions work for Linux Mint? Not as familiar with Linux as I was (older) versions of Windoze.
    I have been using Linux exclusively for the last 10 years. I have a Windows VM for things that only work in Windows (i.e. iTunes). I rarely ever need to run it though.

Yes, the download link has the commands to run for each distro type, debian/ubuntu, centos/fedora, and OpenSuse.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    But I can choose not to view ads. How do they value me? Or are you saying y'all
    I'm just saying that they have to make money somehow, and they make their money by selling "your" views to advertisers, where "your" is rhetorical. So this fits the general saying, if it's free, chances are, YOU are the product.

Google/Chrome/Maps/YouTube/Android, for example, are "free" to use. And they make their money by selling something about you to advertisers: views, your likes, the time you spend on whatever they can track. And they can track your hobbies/interests, products you like, what you're looking to buy, where you go, how long you spend there, etcetera. So in comparison, I think Brave is being pretty up front and as non invasive as they can be and still make money, as far as I can tell.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Yeah, it's cookies I'm sure, but Brave has like 12 different ways to handle cookies (I may be exaggerating a little, but it's not just one simple switch to throw). I don't want to have to go through and white list every freaking website, so I need to find the setting to allow them on all websites.
    If Brave has a setting for just 3rd party cookies, that should be fine. Sites use cookies to store information they need to make the site work, or at least work more efficiently, and not just to sell stuff about you.

rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville
    What do you mean? Like from an official (ubuntu/centos) distro repo rather than than Brave's own repo with signing keys?
    I think I know what you mean and I agree it would be nice to be able to directly download a tgz to extract into a local bin dir like Firefox does, keeping it completely separate from the O/S.

In Linux Mate I did:

curl -fsSLo /usr/share/keyrings/brave-browser-archive-keyring.gpg https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com/brave-browser-archive-keyring.gpg echo "deb [signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/brave-browser-archive-keyring.gpg arch=amd64] https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com/ stable main"| tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/brave-browser-release.list apt update apt install brave-browser
    7F1D08BE-FA83-4698-9B99-AE0BE41E7BFB.gif

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Well, I thought I had solved my problems. Chose the "accept all cookies" option. Made sure I didn't have the "delete all cookies when closing browser" option checked. Double checked my C-Cleaner options for Brave to make sure they were the same as I had them set for Firefox. Yet this morning when I logged in to my credit union's site, it once again thought I was logging in from a new device. :n00b:

I don't know what else to check (or un-check as the case may be).

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Well, I thought I had solved my problems. Chose the "accept all cookies" option. Made sure I didn't have the "delete all cookies when closing browser" option checked. Double checked my C-Cleaner options for Brave to make sure they were the same as I had them set for Firefox. Yet this morning when I logged in to my credit union's site, it once again thought I was logging in from a new device. :n00b:

I don't know what else to check (or un-check as the case may be).
    Wait. The way you described it before, I thought that your problem was that it's not recognizing sessions. Okay, so if you get a session, but it's not recognizing your computer between sessions, that's a little different. I assume that the problem is that it's making you go through the two-factor authentication as if you're on a different computer.

There is apparenatly something different about Brave that makes how they're linking your computer to you that's not woring. It may be that they have a list of "trusted" browsers, and if you're not using one of them, they'll make you do the two-factor login each time.

Cookies may not be the issue. Cookies is the most common way to "trust" a computer, but there are other ways that don't involve cookies. Your browser has information available through request headers and javascript that they can use to create a unique-ish identifier and store that on their end. If it's different from the stored value each time you log in, then it would assume you're on a different computer. Maybe there is something different about Brave that is not compatible with how they're doing it.

But it still could be a problem with cookies. If Brave is not persisting the cookie when you close the browser, or maybe there's a setting that causes Brave to expire cookies after a day or whatever. That would cause this problem. Maybe Brave is "sandboxing" the cookies.

A quick google search reveals that you should be able to view the cookies saved for a site. So you might be able to deduce if they're even using cookies for this. Try the following process. Navigate to login page > Log in > Log out > Close browser > Open browser goto login page. Note differences between which cookies are present at each step. Cookies are usually stored by key (name) / value. Values will likely be meaningless to you. But you can at least note which cookies are present.

Or, just call the CU's tech support and ask them what's going on. They may just tell you their website doesn't support Brave.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Wait. The way you described it before, I thought that your problem was that it's not recognizing sessions. Okay, so if you get a session, but it's not recognizing your computer between sessions, that's a little different. I assume that the problem is that it's making you go through the two-factor authentication as if you're on a different computer.

There is apparenatly something different about Brave that makes how they're linking your computer to you that's not woring. It may be that they have a list of "trusted" browsers, and if you're not using one of them, they'll make you do the two-factor login each time.

Cookies may not be the issue. Cookies is the most common way to "trust" a computer, but there are other ways that don't involve cookies. Your browser has information available through request headers and javascript that they can use to create a unique-ish identifier and store that on their end. If it's different from the stored value each time you log in, then it would assume you're on a different computer. Maybe there is something different about Brave that is not compatible with how they're doing it.

But it still could be a problem with cookies. If Brave is not persisting the cookie when you close the browser, or maybe there's a setting that causes Brave to expire cookies after a day or whatever. That would cause this problem. Maybe Brave is "sandboxing" the cookies.

A quick google search reveals that you should be able to view the cookies saved for a site. So you might be able to deduce if they're even using cookies for this. Try the following process. Navigate to login page > Log in > Log out > Close browser > Open browser goto login page. Note differences between which cookies are present at each step. Cookies are usually stored by key (name) / value. Values will likely be meaningless to you. But you can at least note which cookies are present.

Or, just call the CU's tech support and ask them what's going on. They may just tell you their website doesn't support Brave.
    Well, I kind of did that yesterday (didn't verify cookies though), but I did log in, log out, close browser, open browser, log back in, no problem. This morning it wanted the two-factor authentication again. It also (even yesterday) didn't save my userid. I mean, it kind of did... when I hover over where I enter my userid, it showed it and I could just click on it, but with Firefox, it was already populated.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I always use a private browsing session for online banking. I don't let it save cookies or anything because it's more secure to use 2 factor authentication every time. I do let Brave save my username and password as I've read their password vault is pretty secure. I can't remember how I had it save that info, other than the first time checking the box for save the info when it came up. If you don't see that or dismissed it the first time, I'm sure there's a way to get it to show back up, though I'm not sure what it is... :dunno:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Well, I kind of did that yesterday (didn't verify cookies though), but I did log in, log out, close browser, open browser, log back in, no problem. This morning it wanted the two-factor authentication again. It also (even yesterday) didn't save my userid. I mean, it kind of did... when I hover over where I enter my userid, it showed it and I could just click on it, but with Firefox, it was already populated.
    That's a browser specific feature. Auto-populate is supported by many browsers but is not officially supported by standards. This may be something you have to live with.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    That's a browser specific feature. Auto-populate is supported by many browsers but is not officially supported by standards. This may be something you have to live with.
    Yeah, that's no biggie. Would really like to resolve the issue with it not recognizing my device every time though.

Oh, it also logs me out of INGO every time I close the browser, which didn't happen with Firefox (I have the "keep me signed in" box checked). Again though, when I hover over where I would sign in, then it shows my userid and clicking it logs me in. Just a minor inconvenience.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I always use a private browsing session for online banking. I don't let it save cookies or anything because it's more secure to use 2 factor authentication every time. I do let Brave save my username and password as I've read their password vault is pretty secure. I can't remember how I had it save that info, other than the first time checking the box for save the info when it came up. If you don't see that or dismissed it the first time, I'm sure there's a way to get it to show back up, though I'm not sure what it is... :dunno:
    I would not trust any browser password vault. You are much better off getting a dedicated app for that.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Yeah, that's no biggie. Would really like to resolve the issue with it not recognizing my device every time though.

Oh, it also logs me out of INGO every time I close the browser, which didn't happen with Firefox (I have the "keep me signed in" box checked). Again though, when I hover over where I would sign in, then it shows my userid and clicking it logs me in. Just a minor inconvenience.
    You are much better off using 2 factor every time. That is probably something controlled in the bank app though.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I got scared off of them by hearing about some of the major one's being exploited. I honestly haven't taken the time to look into them since.
    The simple fact that browsers can often copy each others passwords shows how unsecure they are. I moved to BitWarden, which still has a very functional free version. Although I paid them the $10 annual fee, since I am really happy with the product.

Top Bottom