• ...and so much more!
  • JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    After putting it off for weeks I switched from Chrome to Brave today. Easy to import bookmarks etc.
    Has it's own ad blocker so I dumped AdBlock. Running AdBlock and the Brave ad blocker was really slowing things down. So far it good to go.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Without hijacking this thread any more than I already have, any suggestions for replacing PayPal with something a bit less commie pinko?
    Don't know about the politics but if you have a bank account most will let you transfer money directly to another person using Zelle. Of course you have no protections for the transfer.

Most sites using PayPal as a payment handler will let you do so without a PayPal account.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    So I have not tried Brave, but some questions for those who have?

Can you turn off BAT (Brave Attention Tokens)?

How do you fell about Brave blocking the ads from the site you are visiting, but placing ads they generate instead? Can these ads be turned off?

BAT and their ad network are how they make money from Brave.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Without hijacking this thread any more than I already have, any suggestions for replacing PayPal with something a bit less commie pinko?
    I have used Venmo a few times and so far so good. I think it's not supposed to be used for "firearms" transactions but it is very handy and my use has been strictly sporting goods :shady: so I haven't had any issues.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I have used Venmo a few times and so far so good. I think it's not supposed to be used for "firearms" transactions but it is very handy and my use has been strictly sporting goods :shady: so I haven't had any issues.
    Paypal owns Venmo

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Don't know about the politics but if you have a bank account most will let you transfer money directly to another person using Zelle. Of course you have no protections for the transfer.

Most sites using PayPal as a payment handler will let you do so without a PayPal account.
    There are firearms and reloading businesses that I buy from that use PayPal only. So not much choice There. Also I think Olight is PayPal only as well.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    So I have not tried Brave, but some questions for those who have?

Can you turn off BAT (Brave Attention Tokens)?

How do you fell about Brave blocking the ads from the site you are visiting, but placing ads they generate instead? Can these ads be turned off?

BAT and their ad network are how they make money from Brave.

The BAT just sit on top right. It isn't a problem. I really like Brave it is much faster than Chrome and no ads is awesome too.. Some sites like Primary Arms, and Magpul the only ones I've ran into where I had to turn Brave ad blocker off to get the site to function. You just report sites that you have problems with and it's very easy to do as well. The more that get this browser the faster the problems get reported and fixed.

I give it an A right now. Once they get the problems with some sites fixed A+.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    How do you feel about Brave blocking the ads from the site you are visiting, but placing ads they generate instead? Can these ads be turned off?
    This is what concerns me. If Brave places their own ads on your view of a site they did not create isn't that profiting from someone else's work?

Sounds hypocritical to me to make money off ads when you are blocking the ads the site's owner wants to display.

I have a site, not much of one, but I would be pissed to find a browser placing ads on my pages. I will never have ads and don't want others profiting from the money I put into hosting a site.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    This is what concerns me. If Brave places their own ads on your view of a site they did not create isn't that profiting from someone else's work?

Sounds hypocritical to me to make money off ads when you are blocking the ads the site's owner wants to display.

I have a site, not much of one, but I would be pissed to find a browser placing ads on my pages. I will never have ads and don't want others profiting from the money I put into hosting a site.
    I guess it depends on your perspective. Sites placing ads for themselves, I would agree with you.

However, if sites are feeding me ads by using Google services that are targeted to me then nah, I don't feel bad about it at all.

I would rather have Brave place ads that are not personalized to me at all because they are anonymous rather than be giving Google information about where I go and what I look at.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    I just spend the last few minutes watching random youtube videos with NO ADs. Not watching BS ads before the video starts is worth switching browsers alone.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

I've not seen any ads other than the start up Brave page. Other than that 0 ads. I just tested and only got one ad on that start page out of 11 openings. It is not even in the way and easily bypassed.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I just spend the last few minutes watching random youtube videos with NO ADs. Not watching BS ads before the video starts is worth switching browsers alone.
    Thanks for the thread! I'll be following your progress on this new browser. I'm not quite ready to jump yet though.

Side note - I've used the Magic Actions For Youtube extension on Chrome for years. Between that and YouTube Vanced on Android, I never see adds. The rare times when I'm in a situation to see YouTubes other than through my own devices, the adds are just crazy annoying.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    I have a feeling that every extension you add to Chrome collects and sells data. With Brave I have no extensions and don't see that need as of yet. Time will tell.

Top Bottom