• marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Information from the source:

Check out the white paper linked on that page.

"Engaging the New ‘Ad Chooser’: A co-authored whitepaper from Brave Software and dentsu international."

Providing the link here so those interested can see the info about Brave ads from the source.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Information from the source:

Check out the white paper linked on that page.

"Engaging the New ‘Ad Chooser’: A co-authored whitepaper from Brave Software and dentsu international."

Providing the link here so those interested can see the info about Brave ads from the source.
    The key with Brave Ads though is you are in control. You can turn them off.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Another nice thing about Brave.
    Noticed some sites require you to accept their cookies, trackers etc. With Brave you can make it so yes you accept all their cookies, trackers until you leave their site lol. Which allows everything on their site to work but once you leave or close out that site those cookies, and trackers get deleted.

I personally do not see how trackers can be allowed in the United States as it is a violation of your privacy. I see some sites ask you to allow then some just do it without permission.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Finally got an add that I agreed to. I believe I agreed to 4 ads a day to help pay for the browser. Here is one and what it looks like. They always appear on the start page.

Screenshot_20210729-081135_Brave.jpg
    Very easy to ignore and go to your favorite websites or start a search.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I've used Brave for over a year and it's fantastic. Much better than Firefox or Chrome and miles better than the built in MS garbage. On the ad blocking, the way ads are done is very insecure. I don't know if they've changed it since I read about it a few years ago, but basically malware distributors were buying ad time and inserting ads that included malicious software and that made it very difficult to keep from having your computer infected. I've been using an adblocker for the last 10 years. If a site doesn't allow me on with my ad blocker enabled, I just don't ever return to the site. I've never had any issues since switching over to Brave.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Still seeing no ads using Brave. One small thing I noticed is after closing my laptop last night leaving 4 tabs open they reappeared upon start up this morning. No hunting through History or looking for Bookmarks to get my favorite tabs up. I like that since I have about 4-5 tabs I like to keep open. I'm sure you're supposed to close tabs and browsers and shut down properly but I'm kind of a rebel. :cool:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Brave is based on Chromium, which is still Google source code. I've been using Opera, which is quite similar.

Anyone happen to know what Windows browsers are NOT based on Chromium?

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Brave is based on Chromium, which is still Google source code. I've been using Opera, which is quite similar.

Firefox and SeaMonkey, which uses a FireFox source if I am not mistaken.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Still seeing no ads using Brave. One small thing I noticed is after closing my laptop last night leaving 4 tabs open they reappeared upon start up this morning. No hunting through History or looking for Bookmarks to get my favorite tabs up. I like that since I have about 4-5 tabs I like to keep open. I'm sure you're supposed to close tabs and browsers and shut down properly but I'm kind of a rebel. :cool:
    All browsers will do that if you tell them to.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Last edited:

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy

I loved Opera until I found out it was owned by a Chinese company. I switched to Brave after that. FireFox is also problematic, though I don't remember the reasons why ATM.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Firefox and SeaMonkey, which uses a FireFox source if I am not mistaken.
    A little duck-ducking, and... looks like there are really only 2 (or 3) browser engines on the market:

Chromium (Blink), used by Chrome, Edge, Opera, Brave, and lots of others. The most popular on the market, by far.

Mozilla (Gecko), used by Firefox and a few others. Looks like Amazon uses Gecko for their Fire and FireStick browsers.

Safari (WebKit), used by Apple.

As noted above, even Microsoft abandoned their engines (Trident and EdgeHTML) for Blink.

Top Bottom