• ...and so much more!
  • model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    Kroger today & tomorrow: Buy 6+ and get 30% off. I went to KroGucci, Bloomington's largest location, and bought these. There is quite a bourbon selection but it's mostly typical stock or craft / small batch stuff I've never heard of. Not any VSOP or XO cognac, which was what I was hoping for. Many other liquors and wines. Nonetheless here is what I picked and price after discount:

Bulleit Rye handle $34.97
    Michters Rye fifth $29.38
    Four Roses Single Barrel fifth $30.07
    Basil Hayden fifths (No rye :tantrum:) $23.77

(for the Hoosiers who can count, not pictured is Tito's handles and loads of wine)

PXL_20221217_001032512.jpg

Last edited:

model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    my first time having Four Roses single barrel tonight. it's surprisingly sweet, brown sugar finish is strong. very easy drinking. I didn't know what to expect with 100 proof but this is a winner. Take that for what it's worth, I can't give a proper review as I don't have the most advanced palate for bourbon lol cheers y'all

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Kroger has that 30% off 6 or more every couple of months.

Four Roses Single Barrel is top on my list, now one opened on my table and one in closet. My current favorite is Four Roses Small Batch Select. Hard to find but a treat when I do.
    Oh I know, would just like to stash a few more away.... but it appears Kroger is out, not just my local one.

Until next time...

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I am finishing a Cardinal Rye at the moment (not literally). Picked up a Bulleit earlier in the week, to nurse over the Holidays. Been on a Rye kick. Sharp enough to slow me down. I drink the sweeter/smoother versions a bit too fast.

Was wanting something "nice" as a gift to myself. I typically stay in the $40 range, but wondering what might be worth about double? There are a lot of $80 choices. Hate to pick something that is no better than a $40 bottle.

model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    I am finishing a Cardinal Rye at the moment (not literally). Picked up a Bulleit earlier in the week, to nurse over the Holidays. Been on a Rye kick. Sharp enough to slow me down. I drink the sweeter/smoother versions a bit too fast.

Was wanting something "nice" as a gift to myself. I typically stay in the $40 range, but wondering what might be worth about double? There are a lot of $80 choices. Hate to pick something that is no better than a $40 bottle.
    I'm a fan of rye and usually stick to a $50 bottle. Probably the best $50+ common bottle I've had is Angel's Envy. With the Kroger discount it's about $50. Not sure if it's worth $75 or whatever I typically see it at. I'm interested to hear others opinion though. I've been wanting to try the Basil Hayden Rye

2AmendTom

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 11, 2022
    Fishers, IN
    I like the bourbon thread. There are some great options at $50(ish). I think the following are solid picks.

Jefferson’s Reserve
    Jefferson’s Ocean (slightly more than $50)
    Eagle rare (when you can find it)
    Michter’s American Whiskey
    Henry McKenna
    Woodford Double Oaked

On another note, has anyone ever tried this willet? Be interested to hear your thoughts.

Attachments

• A1D91682-171D-4F02-A11A-F696ABAB939F.jpeg
      A1D91682-171D-4F02-A11A-F696ABAB939F.jpeg
      416.4 KB · Views: 12

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else

Have you tried the Hard Truth Sweet Mash Rye. One of my favorites. About 65 bucks at Krogers, at least here in Bloomington.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Looking for opinions...

I've recently been trying some Bourbons, but don't really feel like spending $$$ on a bottle just to find out I don't like it. I like a smooth Bourbon and have found some that I definitely like. What I've found I like, in order of favorites:

1. 1792
    2. Woodford Reserve
    3. Buffalo Trace
    4. Gentleman Jack (I know, not technically a Bourbon)

I've also tried Elijah Craig, and its good, but not as smooth as I'd like. With these selections in mind, what are some recommendations that would be a similar profile?

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Looking for opinions...

I've recently been trying some Bourbons, but don't really feel like spending $$$ on a bottle just to find out I don't like it. I like a smooth Bourbon and have found some that I definitely like. What I've found I like, in order of favorites:

1. 1792
    2. Woodford Reserve
    3. Buffalo Trace
    4. Gentleman Jack (I know, not technically a Bourbon)

I've also tried Elijah Craig, and its good, but not as smooth as I'd like. With these selections in mind, what are some recommendations that would be a similar profile?
    IMHO off the top of my head in no order:
    Old Forester
    Maker's Mark
    Maker's Mark 46
    Wild Turkey Longbranch
    Weller Special Reserve
    New Riff
    Blade & Bow
    Budget $: Benchmark

20200505_193456.jpg

Top Bottom