• JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    How do you char a pepper?

I'm honestly not looking for efficiency when I cook. Grilling is incredibly inefficient from a cost and energy stand point, given I'm burning chunks of charcoal that are trucked in from Missouri and paying some 50 cents a pound for the honor. I'm looking for results.

When we redid our kitchen the only thing I really cared about was discarding the electric stove and installing a gas one. And I did. And it's more awesomer.
    We replaced the electric range that came with our house with a gas one and I'll never go back to conductive electric heat. I really, really wanted a range with two induction and two gas burners - but I can't remember if they didn't exist or were insanely expensive. I do know that a gas cooktop and electric stove (i.e. "dual fuel") are available in high end ranges.

I do always run the hood fan when I use it - no sense even letting a small amount of exhaust fumes building up in the kitchen.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Yes they do, but they are fragile. You must be careful, shaking a pan by sliding back & forth and to flip/stir contents will scratch the glass surface and if spillage is left to burn on the hot surface it can "etch" the area permanently.
    I think you're thinking of those abysmal glass cooktops with a heater underneath. Induction surfaces don't get hot - it's heats the metal pan, not the cooktop surface.

In fact, you can have it built into the counter top.

As someone who loves to do lots of flambe` style dishes I much prefer a gas cooktop.
    A stick lighter works just a well, right? :dunno:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    This isn't about stoves, just like California banning the sale of gas powered cars in a few years isn't about cars.

It's about control.

You (or your community) have been naughty, no electricity (heat, internet, travel) for you.

Let's think that through. Which is easier to make and store at home: Electricity or gasoline and natural gas? Right.

Lmo1131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2020
    east of the Pacific
    Nothing new, where I live; San Luis Obispo County, California.

But the county's spin was 'reducing green house emissions'. This driven by the mayor Heidi Harmon (essentially elected by the college student population of San Luis Obispo); she also drove home the ban on those flimsy shopping bags (first in the nation). This is the woman who touted electric vehicles and on her first long trip whined because she didn't 'know' that it would take two hours to charge her little Tesla (and it was 11:30 p.m. when she completely discharged her battery in the middle of bumfkCalifornia).

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    When we redid our kitchen the only thing I really cared about was discarding the electric stove and installing a gas one. And I did. And it's more awesomer.
    So very much THIS^^^^^

Infinitely adjustable, make adjustments by eye gauging the flame and responds instantly

It was so difficult to make good pancakes on an electric or get just the right heat to cook bacon. Easy peasy on gas

Not worried about oxides of nitrogen, I think Radon was supposed to kill me first

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Those of us that are old enough will remember this is how the evolution that has led us to the (coming soon) requirement that you can only buy electric vehicles began. This is how we wound up having to buy stupid compact fluorescent bulbs that only lasted a fraction of the time promised and LED bulbs that cost multiple times what incandescent bulbs did.

They always start out with trial balloons and attack something they think will be innocuous, that you won’t resist too much about. There will always be those among us that will tut-tut and say folks that are pointing things like this out are overreacting…No one is coming for your guns…until they do.

Top Bottom