• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    You can have AK47 power in an AR15 platform if you buy a 7.62x39 upper too...
    IMO the only advantage to 300 bo is the ability to run sub sonic. Given the cost of 300 vs 7.62 I elected to go with 7.62. I also had several issues finding the right combination of ammo to run the 300bo upper I had, so I sold it for a nicer grendel SBR upper.
    I built a 7.62x39 AR for my nephew as a wedding gift. I loaded him up with the Duramags he says they work great.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I have no issue with the Steel ammo, however my range does. Need to find an outdoor spot that is cool with the steel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You may already know this, but when you're looking at steel cased ammo they aren't all the same. Wolf and Tula and not the same and if I can avoid it at all costs I'll never buy Tula again. I've just seen too many problems with Tula to consider buying more, but wolf aside from it running dirty is usually good to go.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    The only 7.62x39mm AR's I've seen have never run well. I watched a guy have issue after issue with his and then at the end of the day proudly look at his rifle and say it's never had a hiccup. There's a lot to be said for the cheaper supply of 7.62x39mm ammo and what it can do for hunting or otherwise, but I'd rather stick with the guns it was made for. The AK & SKS & and even some bolt guns are fine in that caliber, but trying to get that running in an AR is a square peg and a round hole.

I think the 7.62x39mm has a lot going for it, but I've never seen anyone use it at the long distance ranges I like to shoot at. Why not choose the combat round that's also accurate at distance?

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    The only 7.62x39mm AR's I've seen have never run well. I watched a guy have issue after issue with his and then at the end of the day proudly look at his rifle and say it's never had a hiccup. There's a lot to be said for the cheaper supply of 7.62x39mm ammo and what it can do for hunting or otherwise, but I'd rather stick with the guns it was made for. The AK & SKS & and even some bolt guns are fine in that caliber, but trying to get that running in an AR is a square peg and a round hole.

I think the 7.62x39mm has a lot going for it, but I've never seen anyone use it at the long distance ranges I like to shoot at. Why not choose the combat round that's also accurate at distance?
    I only have the one 7.62 ar, which is a mixed bag of parts I had a buddy put together. Barrel I know is BCA, and I believe BCG is also. Rest of the stuff is just cheaper Anderson parts. I've shot maybe a few hundred rounds in the rifle since I've owned it, but it seems to run OK for me.
    The reason I went with 7.62 is just to have another rifle I could hunt with if I wanted. Plus, I have a mini 30 and didn't really want a new caliber that would only be suitable for SD/SHTF scenarios. Also at ranges less than 200 yards, which is what I shoot 99% of the time, 6.5 grendel and 7.62 are better rounds than the 5.56 (obviously not gospel truth, just what I think).

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I only have the one 7.62 ar, which is a mixed bag of parts I had a buddy put together. Barrel I know is BCA, and I believe BCG is also. Rest of the stuff is just cheaper Anderson parts. I've shot maybe a few hundred rounds in the rifle since I've owned it, but it seems to run OK for me.
    The reason I went with 7.62 is just to have another rifle I could hunt with if I wanted. Plus, I have a mini 30 and didn't really want a new caliber that would only be suitable for SD/SHTF scenarios. Also at ranges less than 200 yards, which is what I shoot 99% of the time, 6.5 grendel and 7.62 are better rounds than the 5.56 (obviously not gospel truth, just what I think).
    I get the appeal of it. I have a buddy who put together a howa 1500 barreled action into a beautiful walnut stock and it's chambered in 7.62x39mm. He wanted a nice looking plinker that fed off the supply of ammo he already had on hand. I completely understand that. Honestly, I've thought about copying my buddies rifle because it's such a nice setup.

I was more thinking about the original question about what AR to recommend and I don't think the non 223/5.56 calibers are the way to go for a guys first AR. Switching up calibers can get a little quirky and for a rifle out the box that he wants to run I'd just try and keep it simple.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I get the appeal of it. I have a buddy who put together a howa 1500 barreled action into a beautiful walnut stock and it's chambered in 7.62x39mm. He wanted a nice looking plinker that fed off the supply of ammo he already had on hand. I completely understand that. Honestly, I've thought about copying my buddies rifle because it's such a nice setup.

I was more thinking about the original question about what AR to recommend and I don't think the non 223/5.56 calibers are the way to go for a guys first AR. Switching up calibers can get a little quirky and for a rifle out the box that he wants to run I'd just try and keep it simple.
    I do not get the appeal. To me (and who am I anyway...:)) its like a 9mm 1911.....blasphemy I tell you. :):
    I have seen issues with every off caliber AR that I have seen save 1.
    No real issues with the Grendle or CR offerings. Those will reach out and smack the crap out of something even a 308 AR as I have had a couple of those.
    It is just weird to run a Commie round in my beloved AR platform.
    If you got-em and you like-em then run-em.
    Enjoy.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    A couple thoughts since it wasn’t that long ago that I was where you are.

- your first AR should be 5.56. Period.
    - get a rifle with a 16”-20” barrel.
    - avoid Anderson and PSA. Almost all the other makers are usually gtg. In my experience, aero is the cheapest that is consistently gtg.

- availability is a challenge right now but I was able to finish a build right before Christmas. Parts are out there if you scout.

- buy your first and don’t dive into building. If you build, just build the lower. If you do build the upper, get the gas block pre-pinned/dimpled etc to ensure proper alignment. Or buy the barrel and gas block from Centurion with the keyed block/barrel interface that’s super slick.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    My two cents:

Unless you have a suppressor, skip the AR pistol. You give up plenty of velocity, and a 16” AR is already pretty dang compact. Also skip the pinned and welded barrel, as it eliminates a lot of the modularity of the AR and locks you into one specific setup.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

The one I made him was a Frankin15. It was a bunch of quality parts I bought on sale over a years time. It runs fine just as good as my Grendel and 556. He now has a red dot and 3x magnifier on it. That picture is the way I gave it to him.

Attachments

• 20200731_053907.png
      20200731_053907.png
      2.8 MB · Views: 15
    Top Bottom