• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pjfan29

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2021
    Boone County
    Are pistols in 556/223 in my opinion are silly.

I like my s&w m&p 556. Pretty sweet gun and you can find them for around 800 at a few shops. Carmel and avon psb have them. But good luck feeding any in 556.

I have an ar with an Anderson lower (I know I know) with a PSA upper that once the charging handle was replaced it's rock solid. Lots of rounds have been burned through It.

So find yourself a solid base and start upgrading.
    I’m just so pleased that I came to the light and joined the 2A family at the pinnacle of inability to get stuff.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    My FIL has a Sig M400. Took the AR class at SPB. Loved how much fun that was to shoot. Ideally, yes, I’d love to just wait and save up for high end AR, however I’m tryin to get it before 46 gets sworn in.

As for building... I’m starting to come around on doing that. Find out that I want a B5 grip and stock. Radian charging handle and safety switch. My issue is finding lowers. I see that Sig has complete uppers available. Plus, I can get my hands on some stuff with BDU, but again my issue is getting it before Sniffin Joe.

Thoughts?

Take the advice above: pony up site supporter status and get in the game. There are a few solid pieces in your budget. You can build upon it from there. Check some LGS a bit farther than your immediate range. May be worth calling some within an hours drive to check prices and availability.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I dont get the whole 300 BLK thing. I have ran a couple and still dont get it.
    If you run the 125gr pills it's similar to an 7.62x39. 24gr lil gun will get you around 2400fps out of a 16" barrel and around 49,000 psi. According to SAAMI 300 blk out can handle 55,000 psi.
    So basically AK47 power in an AR15 platform.

SharperStick

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2021
    Terre Haute
    First post! New owner (Legion XFive) and now I’m looking at an AR. So many questions? While the idea of a sub 300 BLK seems dope AF, the potential of a double stamp and lack of ammo makes it look less than ideal.

So I’m looking at your standard 556/223. Ideally, I’d like to make this happen before 46 and I don’t know if I can get more than $8-900 before inauguration. My local shop has a PSA. My thought is to get into the platform and then go through and upgrade. (B5 grip/stock, Radian ch/switch, trigger, etc).

Question... is there a better option out there for the sub $1K market.

Finally, with an AR pistol vs rifle, anything short of 16” is an SBR. Unless you got a combined length at 16” (pin & welded). Any gunsmith y’all recommend out there?

thanks!!!!
    I'd look for a used AR as others have stated . My grip up grades are bicycle intertubes . Nothing wrong w M4 grip IMO it can be personalized rather inexpensively.

I wouldn't turn my nose up steel case for training. I was able to shoot twice as much ammo during the summer working on up drills and other . If you can find steel case these days.

SharperStick

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2021
    Terre Haute
    Take the advice above: pony up site supporter status and get in the game. There are a few solid pieces in your budget. You can build upon it from there. Check some LGS a bit farther than your immediate range. May be worth calling some within an hours drive to check prices and availability.
    I have a Del-ton echo w 10inch Mloc rail it will shoot one moa at 100 yds and a couple S&W sport ll that shoot about 1.5 moa both rifles fit that budget and all shoot steel or brass w/o hiccups .

Del-ton has great customer service also .

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    I wouldn't turn my nose up steel case for training. I was able to shoot twice as much ammo during the summer working on up drills and other . If you can find steel case these days.

^QFT^ Take whatever ammo you can find/afford.

Buy a "decent" rifle. Save upgrades for later, and buy mags and ammo. That's the most important part.

bicycle innertubes - I laugh when I see people pay for ranger bands. I have a couple on each platform. Cords, stock, grip, endless...

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I'd look for a used AR as others have stated . My grip up grades are bicycle intertubes . Nothing wrong w M4 grip IMO it can be personalized rather inexpensively.

I did some math back before the insanity hit. You can shoot 10,000rds of Russian steel case ammo in an AR15 and save enough to buy 6 new barrels. So why worry about steel case ammo when it was actually cheaper to shoot and replace the barrel a few times if needed. At least you could have a lot of cheap range time. If you don't plan on shooting over 300 yards Russian steel case might be all you need.

That said I've only used maybe 2000 rds in all my firearms in the last 20 years. That included my AK. I reload so it was better ammunition than steel-cased and just about the same price as steel case sometimes much less.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    My first rifle was a DPMS . I'm not the guru on AR that half of you guys are so I'll just tell you how I went about it. After buying the DPMS I bought a lower then I bought a lower parts kit Then I waited on LaRue Barrel to have a good sale then bought a decent trigger And just build it piece by piece by learning about what parts I might want and what a good price was Then I built the AR that I'd like to have . The DPMS is in the truck gun or whatever I want to do and take and beat up beat around and I don't have to worry about it and then if I want to go out and shoot a nice rifle, u have one. I think the PSA would serve you fine. If it's your first one no matter what you buy you're not going to know what you like or what you want . But it will help you figure that out !

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I have a Del-ton echo w 10inch Mloc rail it will shoot one moa at 100 yds and a couple S&W sport ll that shoot about 1.5 moa both rifles fit that budget and all shoot steel or brass w/o hiccups .

Del-ton has great customer service also .
    I bought a Del-ton dissipator upper. It ran like a sewing machine. It had a 1-9 twist barrel and it loved 55gr bullets. If it was decent 55gr ammunition I could get 1.5 moa out to 400 yards with it. I bought a complete DPMS lower at a gun show for $125 and put that upper on it. Has no problems. This was about 20 years ago iirc. Gave it to my SIL to protect my daughter and my precious grandchildren. He loves it. Still running good yet. Had to replace a few springs on it but that's normal for any firearm that has been shot a lot. Surprisingly the rifling is still decent but its close to needing a new barrel. It's been shot a lot.
    I give a thumbs up to Del-ton if they still build them like they use too.

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    First post! New owner (Legion XFive) and now I’m looking at an AR. So many questions? While the idea of a sub 300 BLK seems dope AF, the potential of a double stamp and lack of ammo makes it look less than ideal.

So I’m looking at your standard 556/223. Ideally, I’d like to make this happen before 46 and I don’t know if I can get more than $8-900 before inauguration. My local shop has a PSA. My thought is to get into the platform and then go through and upgrade. (B5 grip/stock, Radian ch/switch, trigger, etc).

Question... is there a better option out there for the sub $1K market.

Finally, with an AR pistol vs rifle, anything short of 16” is an SBR. Unless you got a combined length at 16” (pin & welded). Any gunsmith y’all recommend out there?

thanks!!!!

Under $900. And in-stock.

Under $800 in-stock

pjfan29

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2021
    Boone County
    My first rifle was a DPMS . I'm not the guru on AR that half of you guys are so I'll just tell you how I went about it. After buying the DPMS I bought a lower then I bought a lower parts kit Then I waited on LaRue Barrel to have a good sale then bought a decent trigger And just build it piece by piece by learning about what parts I might want and what a good price was Then I built the AR that I'd like to have . The DPMS is in the truck gun or whatever I want to do and take and beat up beat around and I don't have to worry about it and then if I want to go out and shoot a nice rifle, u have one. I think the PSA would serve you fine. If it's your first one no matter what you buy you're not going to know what you like or what you want . But it will help you figure that out !
    Thanks for the insight!!!

RealHonestAbe

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2020
    Greenwood
    Just here for the details. I’m getting ready to build my first rifle. PSA lower, ghostrifles x39 upper. Is where I’m starting. Any help would be appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    This hurts me to say this but..... PSA just isn't what it used to be and I wouldn't recommend a new one today. I honestly don't know how many PSA lowers or kits I've ordered and put together for myself or friends. The ones coming out now, just aren't what they used to be. The spring & pins kits are usually missing something, parts aren't aligned and I've had a brand new PSA not make it 20 rounds before a part broke. Do whatever you'd like, and I'd still feel fine about one of their complete lowers, but otherwise I'd look elsewhere.

I think and this is just opinion, but the new gold standard for a budget rifle is the S&W M&P 15. Everything I've read seems to say they just run all day long and even at today's prices are around $700.

Getting a rifle is going to depend on availability, getting ammo is going to be about how much of a premium you're willing to pay, but the magazines are still affordable. I would recommend one of the D&H 10 packs of mags from PSA so at a minimum you've got that covered.

Something else to consider might be a cmmg conversion kit. With the price of 223/5.56 you can justify a 22lr conversion kit pretty quickly and at least get some reps in using 22's.

Take a class. There's no real reason to have this cool new rifle if you don't know how to use it beyond a russian peasant being tossed a mosin nagant on his way to the front of the line.

For a first rifle, I wouldn't complicate anything. Get a 16" 5.56 and don't try to get fancy with pistol AR's, or 300 blackout calibers. Just keep it simple and learn to use a regular AR. There's nothing wrong with a regular AR for any normal purpose.

pjfan29

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2021
    Boone County
    This hurts me to say this but..... PSA just isn't what it used to be and I wouldn't recommend a new one today. I honestly don't know how many PSA lowers or kits I've ordered and put together for myself or friends. The ones coming out now, just aren't what they used to be. The spring & pins kits are usually missing something, parts aren't aligned and I've had a brand new PSA not make it 20 rounds before a part broke. Do whatever you'd like, and I'd still feel fine about one of their complete lowers, but otherwise I'd look elsewhere.

I think and this is just opinion, but the new gold standard for a budget rifle is the S&W M&P 15. Everything I've read seems to say they just run all day long and even at today's prices are around $700.

Getting a rifle is going to depend on availability, getting ammo is going to be about how much of a premium you're willing to pay, but the magazines are still affordable. I would recommend one of the D&H 10 packs of mags from PSA so at a minimum you've got that covered.

Something else to consider might be a cmmg conversion kit. With the price of 223/5.56 you can justify a 22lr conversion kit pretty quickly and at least get some reps in using 22's.

Take a class. There's no real reason to have this cool new rifle if you don't know how to use it beyond a russian peasant being tossed a mosin nagant on his way to the front of the line.

For a first rifle, I wouldn't complicate anything. Get a 16" 5.56 and don't try to get fancy with pistol AR's, or 300 blackout calibers. Just keep it simple and learn to use a regular AR. There's nothing wrong with a regular AR for any normal purpose.

Teddy,

That’s awesome thanks for the feedback and update. I was looking at IV8888 (that’s actually how I found this group) meltdown of budget ARs and the M&P held up well.

I took the SPB AR class and while that was fun, trying to get ammo to go shoot is not. It’s like getting that txt at 1am from your shawty asking you to come over, only when you get there, you find out she’s already passed out and you can’t get in!

I have no issue with the Steel ammo, however my range does. Need to find an outdoor spot that is cool with the steel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    If you run the 125gr pills it's similar to an 7.62x39. 24gr lil gun will get you around 2400fps out of a 16" barrel and around 49,000 psi. According to SAAMI 300 blk out can handle 55,000 psi.
    So basically AK47 power in an AR15 platform.
    You can have AK47 power in an AR15 platform if you buy a 7.62x39 upper too...
    IMO the only advantage to 300 bo is the ability to run sub sonic. Given the cost of 300 vs 7.62 I elected to go with 7.62. I also had several issues finding the right combination of ammo to run the 300bo upper I had, so I sold it for a nicer grendel SBR upper.

Top Bottom