Are you afraid to walk into the woods in the dark ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Walking in the woods in the dark without a light can be dangerous where I live. Cliffs with a 50+ foot drop straight down and caves and sinkholes.
    Not really afraid of the dark but have to admit that I have tracked a poorly hit deer thru ravines and ridges and when I found it realized that I didn't know where I was.
    Was so busy looking at blood trail that I wasn't paying attention where I was going. The hills and gullies all look the same with a flashlight. This was in several hundred acres of forest. (yes it was in Southern Indiana).
    I now carry a extra flashlight and battery although if I have signal my phones maps can help me get my bearings.

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    The only reason I don't like it is because one year I was walking In the woods and found a hole. Not just any hole. This hole was hidden in tall grass and when I fell in I was in a little past waste deep. It sucked. Other then that one of my good friends is terrified of the dark woods. It's sad when a grown man has to walk up your butt so he's not scared.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    My work takes me on a short 15 minute woods walk in the night. I always carry 2 flashlights, wear a baseball cap, roll down sleeves, and boots. Not really afraid, but respect the night creatures out there. Have seen the glowing eyes of critters( deer, coyote, raccoon, and my personal, skunks). Last one on list is a definite stay away critter.

Have a real appreciation of full moon nights, and others to light up a walking trail, almost don't need a flashlight. When the bugs quit chirping, the "quiet of the woods" is deafening to the trained ears. Usually a storm coming, animals moving, some reason to be quiet. The woods are like a society on it's own.

The ball cap has caught a few sapling=weeds, stickers trying to scalp me. Bugs fall out of the trees and feel them hit the cap, even an acorn in the fall with a slight wind can wack you. it is a requirement for trekking.

Go for an easy stroll some night with your headlamp off. If you have a "Hunter's Moon", or a 1/2 moon you will see the difference. Spray your pants and neckband with bug spray too. no use being steak to chiggers/squidders. They bite your face too, so wipe a little and do not use after shave! The Squittos will devour you.
    Good luck. Get prepped.

Kurr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County
    I feel the same way about the woods at night as I do for the day. Between the crazies, druggies, thieves, poachers, meth cookers and pot growers, I DO NOT go into the woods unarmed.

Ever.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Same as most, like to see what's likely to trip me or poke me in the eye, but if there's enough moonlight I will switch the light off.

Always considered the dark a kind of cloak...a blanket of stealth...deer are much more calm in the dark and so are less likely to bump if I'm careful to keep the noise to as close to nil as I can.

Dark in the woods is home to me. Dark in the city is quite another matter. I prefer light in the city for SA.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I live in the woods so the darkness doesn't bother me. I've found over the years that I can get in and out of deer stands better by waiting until there's just enough light to see. Getting poked in the face with a branch isn't any fun either.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    I'm not necessarily afraid of the dark, but there have been times when I've been deep in the woods alone on a day hike and I got the heebie jeebies for no reason other than fear of what I can't see. noises in the dark scare me more than anything. Hearing something and not knowing what it is and not being able to look at it freak me out.

There is also the issue of caves or holes in the ground that may not be very visible, even to the naked eye that's adjusted to the dark. Break an ankle or fall down a hundred foot pit and you will be seriously screwed.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I'm not necessarily afraid of the dark, but there have been times when I've been deep in the woods alone on a day hike and I got the heebie jeebies for no reason other than fear of what I can't see. noises in the dark scare me more than anything. Hearing something and not knowing what it is and not being able to look at it freak me out.

There is also the issue of caves or holes in the ground that may not be very visible, even to the naked eye that's adjusted to the dark. Break an ankle or fall down a hundred foot pit and you will be seriously screwed.

Reading these posts makes me glad that we have no caves or ravines in our flat part of the state.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    Reading these posts makes me glad that we have no caves or ravines in our flat part of the state.

:): yeah, Indiana doesn't have a lot like some states down south. But Southern Indiana has quite a few. I have done ridge walks all through Hoosier National and other places down south. There are a lot of small caves that many people never see but they are big enough to swallow a man and kill him if he fell in.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    :): yeah, Indiana doesn't have a lot like some states down south. But Southern Indiana has quite a few. I have done ridge walks all through Hoosier National and other places down south. There are a lot of small caves that many people never see but they are big enough to swallow a man and kill him if he fell in.

My aunt and uncle used to have a huge place near Orleans and it had caves and such. It was sold years ago so I doubt it is still one parcel. When we visited, they would never let us wander the property. The house was almost a mile off the road so just the yard itself was huge.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I used to walk into the woods before sunrise and set up on the edge of an old cemetery. There was a big stand of hickory trees on the other side, and come first light you could get a few squirrels before they scattered.

I tried to pull it up on Google maps, but its too overgrown to see now. Right about here on GPS, I'd guess: 38.599472, -85.865622

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    No, not at all, especially here in Indiana. Usually have a flashlight or headlamp but 80% of the time I don't even use those. I just get in and let my eyes adjust. I grew up huntin and learned to hunt in VA where we had bears, which was kinda creepy knowing that there were such large animals in the dark with you. Also hunted bow season every year on my dad's cousins farm in eastern NC, where you HAD to wear snake chaps early in the season. It's a crazy feeling walking the the woods in the dark and hearing the rattle and them feeling something strike your leg.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

The ball cap has caught a few sapling=weeds, stickers trying to scalp me. Bugs fall out of the trees and feel them hit the cap, even an acorn in the fall with a slight wind can wack you. it is a requirement for trekking.

Go for an easy stroll some night with your headlamp off. If you have a "Hunter's Moon", or a 1/2 moon you will see the difference. Spray your pants and neckband with bug spray too. no use being steak to chiggers/squidders. They bite your face too, so wipe a little and do not use after shave! The Squittos will devour you.
    Good luck. Get prepped.

Another reason I prefer the woods in the middle of winter, No freaking bugs.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Grew up camping... and some things us mischievous teens wanted to do, just couldn't be done (without getting caught) during daylight hours.
    So no... not afraid of the woods at dark. Not my preferred time to travel the woods. A bit slow going without being able to see as well.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    A friend of mine invited someone I had not met to go deer hunting with us. We had a small (and I mean small) travel trailer we pulled down to the southern Indiana site we planned to hunt. We three got there, cooked a little supper on a campfire, and proceeded to get ready for the hunt the following morning.

we told the "new guy" we'd be getting up about 5:30 the next morning and heading out around 6:00 or just a little later. He abruptly stated "But that's before daylight !" He flatly told us he would meet us in the woods after the sun came up. After enough good (or not so good) natured ribbing about not wanting to get up early we learned he had been afraid of the dark ever since seeing "The Blair Witch Project."

I hadn't seen the movie at that time so when we got home I rented the DVD (yeah, that's how long ago it was.). Thought the "Blair Witch Project" was a **** poorly made movie with a cult following. Didn't quite understand what the big deal was and what made the new guy go spaz at the thought of traipsing thru the woods at night but apparently it put the fear of something in him ! !

Last edited:
    Top Bottom