Are you afraid to walk into the woods in the dark ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Night fishing when about 5, a less than trustworthy family member left me for hrs, on a beaver dam, no light.
    Then a little older I watched "Legend of Boggy Creek" at the theater.
    Also played a game in jr high, monstrous neighbor kid (older).....................kinda like "Finding Bigfoot"............in the woods, cornfield behind out neighborhood.
    Bout 10 of us younger kids...........only in the dark. He'd lay in hiding and grab, lift and then dump ya on the ground.......................he only did that when you got separated from the group. Scared the sheite out of us................great fun.

Nope, not afraid of the dark. Even when older finding some rather spooky ruins in the middle of nowhere (think "Blair Witch" ending).

I am a little touchy the first couple of walks in to the treestand. But after a couple of trips I go in without light. Hell, I had to go maybe 500 yards through standing corn to one stand, and they had a cougar on trail came next farm over.

Bow only................didn't break a sweat.

I figure whatever comes at me in the dark will die by projectile defecation. Not skeered.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Blair Witch was a stupid movie.................all the way through. Nothing spooky, until the end.

Those who have found such houses when younger..................it jacks them up watching that flick.

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    The woods are lovely,dark and deep,but I have promises to keep,and miles to go before I sleep. It rubs the lotion its skin,or else it gets the hose again. Bawhahahah!!!

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    Interesting and funny thread. Opossum :) The only concern I have is running into someone that should not be there- meth psycho, pot farmer, etc. Rule for the woods- be armed.

Precious.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I was down at Lake Monroe camping on one of the shores and had to take a leak. It was actually quit well lit in the woods that night with a full moon but I looked up a path and there were 3 or 4 huge spiderwebs with big spiders in the middle of them across the path. That is my only problem and funny to see if I get a spiderweb in my face, THE SPIDER DANCE.

ErickW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Woods in the dark no problem, always carry a firearm, love it. In the city any time of the day, I always have a problem , always carry two firearms, and hate it.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    No problem going out into the woods after dark. I'll tell you that once in a while the hair on the back of my neck will stand up. But that's just my Spidy senses saying "pay attention".

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    It's also fun to watch when you are with someone else and you see the spider and web and they don't. :rofl:

I just can't help dancing the spider dance. I was raise where we had to look out for black widow spiders all the time. My sister was always afraid to put her shoes on in case there was a spider in them.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I like to have a compass with me because nothing is more frustrating then getting turned around on a moonless night in an area where you may not know every rock, log or tree. Having wolves around me is a new thing that truly elevates my awareness. I'm not gonna lie about that.

Dark alleys in LA, Chicago or Atlanta made me more nervous than any place in the wilderness. From what I have observed a lot of these fears are learned/passed from adult to child.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Ran 70 miles of my last 115 mile ultra in the dark (rest was in the light) on the dragons spine in the Blue Ridge mountain range in NE Georgia last spring. No firearm, just a small flashlight. Mountain lion was reported to the DNR 2 weeks prior, there's black bear, boar, snakes, etc... there. Nope, not scared of the dark :D

Like was said earlier, I'm all good as long as the forest is making noise. It's when everything goes dead that I start looking around. That, and when a spider goes in my mouth (mouth is open while running)...not a fan of the extra meal.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I prefer to walk in the dark with no lights in the woods. Makes me more attentive to sounds and the feel of the trail surface. Night vision works much better than people give it credit for, and allows more consistent survey of the surroundings.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Louisiana-Hominid.jpg

For your health.

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    only afraid of branches hitting me in the face and making a wrong turn. love it when there is snow on the ground because there is no need for a light. have taken a wrong turn before and got turned around so I just waited by a tree.. Had coyotes walking around but they never got close. figured they could see me and ran off. I don't mind walking in the woods in the dark when it is cold out vs when it is still warm as the spiders and their webs are typically gone. Also like to have a light to verify there is no raccoon in my stand which has happened.

my father in law will not walk in with a flash light unless I make him as he is afraid of the dark.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    How's the best way I can say this....

...The idea of being afraid of walking in the woods in the dark is so foreign to me that I thought there had to be something more to the question than in the title.

I like to have a flashlight available, but I prefer letting my eyes get used to the dark. You see that's what we old-timers did before they started selling night-vision gear to every yahoo with some money. You would be surprised what you can see if you stay away from white light long enough to give your eyes a chance.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    From what I have observed a lot of these fears are learned/passed from adult to child.

I agree with this.

I have a nephew who is eleven and lives in a suburb of Chicago. Since he was a little bitty kid, when he is down here, I make a point to try to get him outside at night. We go into the fields and woods at night and we use the flashlight as little as we have to, if at all. I have made a point to show him that I am comfortable with it and that it is not scary, it is just dark. If he is taught to be afraid, he will be afraid.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Nope... not when Mr. Kahr is with me..

About the only time I use a light is during gun season and that is for sound shooters to know I'm not a deer. Then it is a red light. The ground I hunt is private but the same aholes that will slip in on you are the same that take the in the dark sound shots.

Top Bottom