Are you afraid to walk into the woods in the dark ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Huzrjim

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Monroe County
    Well considering all the night hunting I have done, I guess I would say I'm not afraid of the dark, especially with a good light and firearm!

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    My so-inlaw and I and a buddy of his went coon hunt'n a few days ago, his buddy had a flash light and the batterys we dead and I thought he was gonna freak out I gave him my light and we got back to the truck he was done... We had to take him home and then we went on hunt'n, we had a good laugh when we got back in the woods about it... My son-inlaw said he won't be taken him back out again and I told him not to be like that just let him carry your wheat light and he will be ok... I think he will take him back out if he will go ???? lol, it was funny to see, made me think of this thread and I told my son-inlaw about this thread and we had a good laugh about it....

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Do kids even play capture the flag any more? We use to play some pretty intense rounds of it in the middle of nowhere, covering large expanses of woods and/or prairie.....................at night. Sometimes it was more like a gang fight then a game. As a matter of fact I can honestly say I played it in California, North and South Dakota, Minnesota and Indiana. In all those times I seem to recall only losing a few people once and we found them before sunrise.

You can probably draw a correlation between the death of capture the flag and the rise of fear of the dark.

Jagunn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 24, 2014
    Brownsburg
    I used to urban bow hunt a small 30 acre woods. Where we hunted at was in a well populated area and had a heavy coyote population, so they were no intimidated by people what so ever. We were clearing shooting lanes out one evening and it was getting dark, we headed back to the truck which was about a quarter mile from where we were. By the time we mad it back there were 4 coyotes no more than a 100 yard from us. So when i would go early in the morning to hunt i can say i was a little on edge about walking to my stand. Needless to say we took more yotes out of those woods than deer. To the topic of the thread that was the only time and place i didnt like walking in the woods after dark

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    A lesson from late W Casey once said to us, if you lived near a wooded area, study your wood and get to know your wood, one day it might save your life. We were trained near the infamous Farm. There's a lot of wooded area around it. Go figure.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Since moving to Northern Minnesota I have a great deal more respect for darkness.We have a pack of wolves that has come within 15 yards of the house(at least 5 of them),and at least one solo wolf in really bad shape this summer.The solo one is pictured below,and anything that large and half starved worries me.I have also had a black bear move between myself and the house when walking in the woods during daylight,I would not want to experience that in the dark(at a full run it sounded like an elephant running through the woods).Those are minor though compared to the mountain lion roaming through,it is one animal I would definitely not want to cross paths with in the dark.That said we have spent plenty of time outside in the dark,but always armed and with a flashlight,though the flashlight often goes unused.My wife and I both enjoy looking at the night sky(no light pollution here)and enjoy a good fire :)
    Respect the dark yes,fear it no.

30vyv0w.jpg
    [/IMG]

Lynx or bobcat.
    51wknc.jpg

Mountain Lion
    efnfxx.jpg

Bear

eqctxt.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom