Are you afraid to walk into the woods in the dark ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    My stand in Michigan is a half mile from the cabin. I leave plenty early to sneak in there. One time I was going to give a leafy oak branch a nudge out of the path. Turned out to be a darn porcupine. Only issue I've ever had at night.
    Took my son's Scout troop up there and the coyotes were running deer around their camp. City kids thought that was pretty cool to witness.

bowtech83

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2014
    Muncie
    It is somewhat freaky walking in the woods with absolutely no light, but all I have to tell myself is I am the top predator in the woods lol

Cattman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2013
    Franklin
    I can go in without light as long as there is some moon light. Definately used the flashlight after a Bobcat had an argument with his breakfast last weekend of gun season in Parke co.

ilikeguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Prairie Creek
    I have no issues walking in. I hunt in the river bottoms, miles away from any houses and a lot of times I am the only person in the area. I do get slightly nervous and use caution walking out in the dark. Being the only person around and parked on the side of a county road makes me think. That is the one time any one up to no good will know exactly where I will be and pretty close to exactly when I will be there and that I will most likely be carrying some nice expensive equipment and unable to see any distance.I always come out with no light to avoid pinpointing my position and usually stop about 50yds from the truck and watch for a minute, and always make sure that my draw hand is free. Maybe a bit paranoid but better safe than sorry is the way I see it.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    Just got back from Morgan Monroe this weekend. I finished my hike long after it was dark and made camp in the dark and slept just fine.

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    the woods is fine at night unless it get suddenly silent, i find that very unnerving but its only happened to me twice and i swear i heard people talking and walking across a field near by last time that happen so i think it was the dick heads ive caught dumping oil and tires before.

spaniel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Lizton
    Depends on circumstances. Normally no.

Walking into Montana's Bob Marshall Wilderness at night after just talking to a guy in the parking lot who had had 5 close and nasty encounters with grizzlies on that trail in as many days? Kind of. Kept my 41mag in my hand until the sun came up.

Walking back out with 80lbs of bloody elk meat on my back on the same trail, in 60mph winds that left us unable to hear anything, and only 1 round left in the only rifle between the two of us? Yeah, you bet!

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    i-am-the-sheepdog-normal-fit-t-shirt-5.gif

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I love the woods at night! The only thing I ever worry about is other people.

this ^^

I'll also admit that it depends on the woods -- fighting my way through unknown terrain in the dark does not sound fun (not scary, just dangerous to roll and ankle, etc.)
    I love the woods in the dark. Even better, the edge of a pasture at dark. Even betterer... a coyote in the crosshairs, with eyes glowing from my hunting spotlight, on the edge of a pasture at dark!

MattBrewer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2014
    Indy
    I prefer walking in with no light if there is some moonlight and I'm pretty familiar with the woods. Tough to not pull a light out when there's no moon.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I typically walk in with a green light all the time. I guess I always worry about stepping in a hole and breaking an ankle. The other reason I like to use a light is to alert some jerk poaching in my stand or my hunting area. Like another thread said....I don't want one of those guys who shoots in the woods at noises to do so at me. I figure maybe they will realize a deer doesn't emit a green light

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Only thing im afraid of is walking into a spiders web, but that happens a lot during the day. With the days getting shorter, ive found myself running at the local cemetery in the dark. That can be pretty spooky.

AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    I wouldn't say that I have a fear of the dark in the woods. Especially if I know the area I don't mind walking with no light on at all. If I don't know the area though, you better believe I'll have a light on. I've tripped and fallen over roots, broken down fences, fallen limbs, and small holes way too many times. The only thing that scares me in the dark woods is my own damn imagination. Mainly if I'm sitting on the ground. Every twig snap is a giant rabid wolf-boar sneaking up behind me or a zombie. I watch way too many zombie shows.

woodwalker

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Brownstown
    Was turkey hunting with my son on youth season about 5 years ago and walked across a field to set up in a fence row in the dark. Set the decoy about 15 yards in front of us and got set up. About 10 minutes of setting I hear something coming and hear growling but can't see anything. I told the boy to get ready with his gun because I thought it was a coyote. I flipped on my flashlight and the coyote took off running. That was as nervous as I'd had been and my son was pretty shook up also. Thought our day was done but after the sun came up a Tom came to the decoy and the boy harvested is first turkey.

JimH

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    I coon hunt a lot,so am kind of use to being out at night.Worst experience was walking without a light one night and walked into a black angus cow that was on the wrong side of the fence-really gets the ticker pumping!

Rock River

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indy/Morgan county
    When I was young (like 15) I thought I was a pretty cool character walking the woods in the dark early morning hours not worrying about anything until the time I walked about 10 yards from a bobcat who let me know it was there by emitting a blood curdling 'scream'. At the time I didn't have any clue what a bobcat sounded like and I was pretty sure some nice lady had just been murdered right next to me. Not a sound I will ever forget. I think that's the most scared I've been in my life.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    When I was young (like 15) I thought I was a pretty cool character walking the woods in the dark early morning hours not worrying about anything until the time I walked about 10 yards from a bobcat who let me know it was there by emitting a blood curdling 'scream'. At the time I didn't have any clue what a bobcat sounded like and I was pretty sure some nice lady had just been murdered right next to me. Not a sound I will ever forget. I think that's the most scared I've been in my life.

Sitting in my car at the mall while reading this, waiting for my wife to shop. My 6 year old son and I both got a nice chuckle from the thought of this scene.

The Drifter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Cedar Lake
    I approve of all of these posts , as I read every one . You all tried to be honest , but If you were dumped in a strange woods , that you don,t know , not knowing your way out . No flash light ,no knife ,no food or water . Now what ? Most of us know the woods , we hunt , live in , or hike in . I am not afraid of the woods in the dark , but afraid of getting lost in the woods in the dark . I have done that a few times . A blood trail can really screw you up.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GlockFrenzy
    Top Bottom