• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Saw that this morning. Bill Owensby says stress may be a factor in the recent rash of police DUI's. I get that, but c'mon guys... if you've gotta have a drink, STAY HOME.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    If they took blood does that mean he refused a breathalyzer or is it SOP for IMPD to take blood? If he did refuse, will he lose his license for a year? If an officer doesn't have a license, can he work?

decisions and consequences, none of us are immune

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    If they took blood does that mean he refused a breathalyzer or is it SOP for IMPD to take blood? If he did refuse, will he lose his license for a year? If an officer doesn't have a license, can he work?

Breathalyzers are only admissible in court as backup verification of findings. (Unless that law has changed recently?)

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis

Taking blood consensually usually means that the officer suspects something other than alcohol is at play.

It can also mean that he refused a certified breath test so they got a warrant for his blood, in which case the consensual part is out.

joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    I guess choir practice ran long. Hey, everyone has problems. Some don't learn as well as others. Let's just be glad he didn't kill anyone.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    They took blood, with permission, after the breath test instrument was unable to get a sufficient breath sample and that could be for a number of non-nefarious reasons. He is my Captain and a nice guy. I cannot know what causes people to drink but I can speak for myself. I have not had a drink in 10 years and have no desire to, never had a taste for it. However, in the last few weeks, I've come home home so wound up from work that I would have drank myself to sleep if I had the chance. There are days that I come home and the family does not recognize me. Relaxing with a drink is a VERY common method of handling this problem for many. With my family history, it's not a road I can even ponder traveling.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    They took blood, with permission, after the breath test instrument was unable to get a sufficient breath sample and that could be for a number of non-nefarious reasons. He is my Captain and a nice guy. I cannot know what causes people to drink but I can speak for myself. I have not had a drink in 10 years and have no desire to, never had a taste for it. However, in the last few weeks, I've come home home so wound up from work that I would have drank myself to sleep if I had the chance. There are days that I come home and the family does not recognize me. Relaxing with a drink is a VERY common method of handling this problem for many. With my family history, it's not a road I can even ponder traveling.
    Makes sense on the draw and saves him refusal suspension time. What kills me about owi is that it is a crime of convenience and pride. I swore years ago I would never be too proud to get a ride home if I was even questionable; it just ain't worth it.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I've come home home so wound up from work that I would have drank myself to sleep if I had the chance. There are days that I come home and the family does not recognize me. Relaxing with a drink is a VERY common method of handling this problem for many

You might be on to something there.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Saw that this morning. Bill Owensby says stress may be a factor in the recent rash of police DUI's. I get that, but c'mon guys... if you've gotta have a drink, STAY HOME.
    Then it's time for a new job, or to recognize you have a problem and get help. I'm sure they have paid for council ing for officers don't they? Most civilian jobs even have it. If the jobs getting to you that deep where you have to drink it away then it's time to turn in your badge. Same for soldiers. Get out.

Top Bottom