Adding speakers to the motorcycle, thoughts?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jarhead77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Noblesville
    Mounted outdoor speakers to my VTX 1800 along with an amp under the fuel tank. The key issue was control of volume at stops / slow downs. I ended up mounting a small waterproof volume knob (think motorboat!) on the bars as well. I know it sounds like a pain, but it was worth it! Pm me if you have questions.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We now have a lot of idiots with smashing sound systems rolling around here sharing their music with us. I hate it.
    1st, I do not like the music. If I wanted to here it I have several stereo's to use at home/shop. Stop forcing me to hear it.
    2nd.....Highway song man. The machine and the road are my music. I have done thousands of miles and never once used a stereo even when the bike had one. Rolling the badlands sturgis bound......no music needed, already there.
    3rd....your bike, do as you please.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I don't understand radios on motorcycles. A motorcycle is meant to be free, free of riding in a cage. You're suppose to feel the wind, listen to nature. Be able to admire the view that you can't see in a car.

Radios on a bike are stupid.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Having rode bikes for years I will take a good pair of ear buds over anything else, I hate wind noise!

Try these and tell me it wasn't the best $8 you ever spent.

Monoprice 110153 Enhanced Bass Noise Isolating Earphones with Built-In Microphone and Play/Pause Control for Cellphones

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Im wanting a radio to drown out the sound of the obnoxious pipes on some peoples bikes. I guess that isn't as disruptive as a radio though.

Oh I was not being snarky just giving an old riders opinion.

Some of the clowns around here have some serious sound on their bikes. Cool enough but I would actually hear the pipes. JMHO of course.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I appreciate the old riders, there is a lot to be learned from them. At the same time, music is also a big part of my life, so it is something I want to incorporate into my riding time. However, Im very picky about my music, cant stand that distorted sound that a lot of people spew off their bikes, I want clean, clear sound. Got a feeling this will not be an easy accomplishment.

Power is the key. Multiple speakers etc. There is a cat downtown that sets up a lot of the locals systems.
    It will require saddle bags at least to get a good clean system set up. Amps, speakers and tweeters. I have seen 1st hand what goes into it.
    If you want his info let me know.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I don't understand radios on motorcycles. A motorcycle is meant to be free, free of riding in a cage. You're suppose to feel the wind, listen to nature. Be able to admire the view that you can't see in a car.

Radios on a bike are stupid.

Sometimes you're just getting from point "A" to point "B". I use earbuds.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Bone Conduction Headphones.
    No way would I stick something in my ears while riding a scooter.

<edit>
    And no one wants to hear your Cher or Hall and Oats or Wham! while sitting at a stoplight.:nono:

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I got a decent pair of headphones I wear when working out, riding the mountain bike, mowing etc... But when I ride with other people, I like to be able to talk at lights, etc. I will look into those headphones though.

Head phones may be a bad idea. You need to be aware of everything around you when you ride. Again, JMHO.

A couple things, the ear buds I showed would still allow you to hear sirens (although situation awareness and the fact the you will see the lights long before you hear the siren).

You can simply press the button located by your right ear to pause the song and carry on a normal conversation.

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    When I had a 750 Aero I added a sound system. The task was relatively easy and sourcing the parts made it cheaper then going thru some one like Honda or J & P cycles.
    1) Marine rated radio system with remote.
    2) tractor light housing --for speakers

Mounted the radio in the sissy bar bag, mounted the speakers in the light housings so they were rear facing(behind the windshield). Ran the wiring to the fuse block and I was all done.

Top Bottom