• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    Serbu isn't an unknown builder and isn't home built. They've been around since 1996.
    Honestly from an engineering standpoint. The caps are rated at 85,000psi, and double charges are a known thing even from factories. The factors of engineering safety should have encompassed this or made safeties to mitigate the failure away from user.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy

Ian just dropped a pretty long discussion on how and why guns turn into grenades.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Yes, there's specific powder for 50bmg.
    UjGYrhC.png

AFAIK, it's the slowest burning powder available.
    There’s some pulled surplus from 20mm and larger that’s slower, but H50BMG is very well behaved.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Makes me wonder if you could build a plasma rifle from a 220 swift, a 40+" barrel, and a case full of H50BMG.
    I read a paper somewhere that discussed the theoretical limit to how fast a projectile could go propelled by deflagrating chemistry. If I remember correctly, the upper limit was about five or 6000 ft./s. It becomes a diminishing return for barrel length and a maximum pressure that can be achieved.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I read a paper somewhere that discussed the theoretical limit to how fast a projectile could go propelled by deflagrating chemistry. If I remember correctly, the upper limit was about five or 6000 ft./s. It becomes a diminishing return for barrel length and a maximum pressure that can be achieved.

While true, I wonder if the friction and heat would vaporize the projectile into a super heated cloud, lol.

bos-94-003

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    Marion
    I was looking at serbus before going with barrett. Glad he's ok and glad I went with barrett. I know it was a round failure but I also know a barrett can handle/protect me better than that capped pipe

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Did I miss something?
    Dude gets some ammo that is for a M2 not just any M2. I think that to fire SLAP ammo we use a lined barrel?
    I haven’t witnessed SLAP since the 90’s I don’t think its mainstream anymore.
    Anyhoo please no INGO buddies try stupid stuff like this. SLAP can go through both sides of a M113 so you don’t need to shoot a fire hydrant.
    Just take my word for it.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    ^^

As much as I like Kentucky Ballistics, him and Demolition Ranch seem to be in a race to see which one of them can kill themselves first.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Did more research on Mr. Safety here. I cannot believe he is not dead before putting a SLAP round in a Serbu.

You tube was a massive mistake.

You folks would faint if you were familiar with the early days of youtube...

This stuff is TAME in comparison.
    The joyful days of cokeman magdumping an AK74SU in his laundry room into a stack of books.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    You folks would faint if you were familiar with the early days of youtube...

This stuff is TAME in comparison.
    This! :):

At least they are using eye and ear protection, and not shooting at trucks packed with explosives from a few feet away.

That fake Russian dude almost died dozens of times on camera.

tumblr_onk0yaKQuA1vkzuj9o1_500.gif

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    This! :):

At least they are using eye and ear protection, and not shooting at trucks packed with explosives from a few feet away.

That fake Russian dude almost died dozens of times on camera.

tumblr_onk0yaKQuA1vkzuj9o1_500.gif

How about when he lets loose with a 40mm gun and lets it recoil well over the berm, lol.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola

I think Rex called it.
    Scott was having accuracy issues leading up to the failure, suggesting the sabot was contacting the brake.

I do recall another YT channel shooting the slap rounds and the actual shooter complaining about having to remove the brake because of the said SLAP rounds.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I do recall another YT channel shooting the slap rounds and the actual shooter complaining about having to remove the brake because of the said SLAP rounds.

I remember inrangetv using SLAP through a braked rifle and having all kinds of accuracy problems. They never once stopped and considered if the brake was a problem.

Meanwhile I was wincing. This stuff isn't common knowledge because saboted ammunition is extremely rare for anyone to be shooting. Some flags need thrown out there to make the shooting community aware of what is and is not safe.

I've also seen brakes on shotguns and people complaining about accuracy issues as a result.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Watched this and thought there were ample signs to stop before it blew. He talks about the lack of accuracy, POI being way off. He talks about the huge variation in muzzle blast between rounds. I noticed he does not stop and inspect any of the fire cases, just throws them on the ground.

As a reloader, all of these are signs you need to stop and look at what you are doing. Something is not right.

Glad he is ok but WOW!!

Don

Top Bottom