• ...and so much more!
  • two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    "Freak accident"....No.

He never stopped and looked at the fired cases in the original incident. Watching the video he just threw them on the ground. Even when there was a significant sound/recoil difference from a normal round.

This new video doesn't really prove anything to me. How about disassembling one of the SLAP rounds? see what it is loaded with. Blowing up an expensive gun never impressed me other than a manufacturer under controlled conditions for testing reasons. There were no scientific controls applied in this video.

Sorry, just not impressed.

Don
    While it's always a good idea to check the spent cases, very few people that don't reload do that. Also, I'm pretty sure he clearly stated that the one that blew the original gun was the first shot out of a new package of ammo. The ammo in the original video clearly did not exhibit the same overpressure signs that most of the remaining rounds from that package fired in this video did as there was no difficulty removing the cap or the spent cases in the first video prior to the detonation.

It should also be noted that none of the other remaining, clearly overpressure rounds in that package were able to blow the gun, the gun did not blow until he fired a round specifically loaded to blow the gun. It would have been nice had he fired the remaining rounds in a ballistics lab with the use of a strain gauge but that's not a realistic expectation and the demonstration he did conduct was more than enough to support the conclusion that he drew. It was absolutely a freak accident.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    This guy is wild

The variation in those rounds is wild.

I'm still iffy on the gun basically being designed to murder the operator in the event of overpressure, but I don't have a comparison case for the same ridiculous pressure in a Barrett or other rifle. How do they come apart when they fail?

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    The variation in those rounds is wild.

I'm still iffy on the gun basically being designed to murder the operator in the event of overpressure, but I don't have a comparison case for the same ridiculous pressure in a Barrett or other rifle. How do they come apart when they fail?
    It would have to depend on which Barrett you're talking about.

Not exactly sure what you mean by designed to murder the operator. Putting your face next to a controlled explosion is always going to carry some risks.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    It would have to depend on which Barrett you're talking about.

Not exactly sure what you mean by designed to murder the operator. Putting your face next to a controlled explosion is always going to carry some risks.
    The Serbu sends a massive projectile directly into your face like a cannonball.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    The Serbu sends a massive projectile directly into your face like a cannonball.
    Only if something goes very wrong. Seems how it sheared the threads and two massive lugs there is also a chance it would shear the lugs and handle off a bolt and then the bolt would be a missile. I would assume the semi auto versions would be able to redirect some energy a little better.

Last edited:

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Only if something goes very wrong. Seems how it sheared the threads and two massive lugs there is also a chance it would shear the lugs and handle off a bolt and then the bolt would be a missile. I would assume the semi auto versions would be able to redirect some energy a little better.
    That's the question. Different designs may fail in different ways. A steering column that collapses in a crash is preferable to one that impales you. Complaining "you shouldn't get in a crash in the first place idiot" isn't a defense of the design.

The Serbu has no failure tolerance designed in. It either holds or it euthanizes the operator. It has no provision for containing or redirecting failure.

binkerton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Here is the final story from Mark Serbu on this wild explosion.

So, wait. How did he determine pistol powder? Just guessing based on theoretical data? I watched the whole thing and didnt catch where he came to that conclusion. Sounds like it could've been an anti-matter grenade.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    So, wait. How did he determine pistol powder? Just guessing based on theoretical data? I watched the whole thing and didnt catch where he came to that conclusion. Sounds like it could've been an anti-matter grenade.
    I think he had to come to that conclusion by the process of elimination. Looking at the graphs of some of the other powders that he put in the ballistic calculation system, the extremely fast burning powders showed similar pressure spikes to what would have blown up the 50 cal.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    I go back to my original reaction. The shooter fired 3 rounds, each one did not sound right or seem normal, never inspected a fired case. Just kept shooting until boom. Operator error shooting unknown ammo.

Don

Judamonster

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2022
    I go back to my original reaction. The shooter fired 3 rounds, each one did not sound right or seem normal, never inspected a fired case. Just kept shooting until boom. Operator error shooting unknown ammo.

Don
    I was shooting my .22 last weekend with my kid. Some of the rounds sounded underpowered, but the weapon still cycled. If it blew up is that operator error? Mass production lends itself to the possibility of variation. I don't know if I would have thought that could happen. Especially when paying $100 per round.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    I was shooting my .22 last weekend with my kid. Some of the rounds sounded underpowered, but the weapon still cycled. If it blew up is that operator error? Mass production lends itself to the possibility of variation. I don't know if I would have thought that could happen. Especially when paying $100 per round.
    What does cost per round have to do with unknown source ammo?
    22 Rimfire has a standard pressure of 22,000 psi. 50 BMG standard pressure is around 55,000 psi. Apples to oranges.

If your 22 had spit fire and recoiled strangely would you let your child keep shooting it ? Even with out looking at a spent case??

Still operator error.

Don

Judamonster

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2022
    What does cost per round have to do with unknown source ammo?
    22 Rimfire has a standard pressure of 22,000 psi. 50 BMG standard pressure is around 55,000 psi. Apples to oranges.

If your 22 had spit fire and recoiled strangely would you let your child keep shooting it ? Even with out looking at a spent case??

Still operator error.

Don
    What can toking at a casing tell you? (Serious question-i have no idea)

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    What can toking at a casing tell you? (Serious question-i have no idea)
    Spent cases show a lot. Over pressure sign are primers extruded into the firing pin hole, head of the case has flattened to the bolt, cracks or unusual bulges, especially near the base. Take a good look at a spent case. It should look pretty much the same as an unfired case. There are plenty of pics on the internet and in reloading manuals showing over pressure rounds.
    1664705686221.png
    1664705736616.png
    1664705765988.png

Don

Last edited:
    Top Bottom