• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Serbu subsequently claimed it was something like 250k and that the ears on the reciever were supposedly capable of holding the breech closed by themselves even without the threads.

I'm still curious why it has a screw on breech cap, and isn't just a traditional break action.

If it was a traditional break action and failed, you'd still have a significant amount of steel shielding you from the gasses. I would expect that would be cheaper to make as well...

CTBay

Marksman
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 13, 2021
    Bedford
    How's about something a little bigger than a .50 BMG.

700 Nitro Express!!

He just did that a couple days ago. He used a string and stood behind a truck. Lol.

Guess you know that, didn’t click your link.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    He just did that a couple days ago. He used a string and stood behind a truck. Lol.

As someone who has shoulder fired a .458 Lott, I would have zero interest in firing that gun. Lol.

His Dad took it like a champ though.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Old slap rounds, using a smaller caliber projectile with a sabot of plastic around. Not been made in ages. I need to find the studies, but the military had trouble with the sabots coming apart in the barrel. Add into the effect of the plastic being old. Nothing But Trouble… look at the shots just before it blew, the shots were not going where expected. That should have been a red flag, but nope. Kept shooting them. I am going to guess the sabots were failing, that would explain the previous shots, and why it blew. I suspect a sabot failed and the sub caliber projectile nose dived into the rifling mid barrel. Instant barrel obstruction and kaboom. And with that threaded barrel end, an instant pipe bomb.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson

Probably not a good idea to fire something with that much recoil with a chest that is not fully healed yet.

Just for some perspective a .458 win mag produces about 5,300 ft/lbs. of energy, a modern .416 Rigby can reach 5,700 ft/lbs., the .458 Lott ups that to around 5,900 ft/lbs, and the .700 nitro express can produce up to 9,000 ft/lbs. of energy. I've shot a .458 win mag and a .416 Rigby, those were about enough for me.

Magnum314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Wow! Thanks for sharing this video! Luck had nothing to do with it on that day...and he knows that. God gets the credit and glory and He's obviously not done with him yet! And he appears well aware of that. Seems like a great guy...glad he is alive and healing well!

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I would just wish that the guy from Serbu would try and shine the camera down the bore of the exploded rifle, or maybe send one of those bore camera snakes down it.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    "Freak accident"....No.

He never stopped and looked at the fired cases in the original incident. Watching the video he just threw them on the ground. Even when there was a significant sound/recoil difference from a normal round.

This new video doesn't really prove anything to me. How about disassembling one of the SLAP rounds? see what it is loaded with. Blowing up an expensive gun never impressed me other than a manufacturer under controlled conditions for testing reasons. There were no scientific controls applied in this video.

Sorry, just not impressed.

Don

Top Bottom