• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Never shot a .50 and dont mess w home builts or unknown builders.

I shot a guy's Barrett .50 at Atterbury years ago. Another guy was putting a few rounds through it after I did, and on his 2nd or 3rd shot, it apparently fired out of battery. It wasn't nearly as dramatic as that Serbu, and nobody got injured, but it still spread parts all over the range.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I don't think it was the gun, but the ammo.

While yes you can say that, there's no real safety built into the design in the event of a catastrophic failure.
    There are no vent ports, there's nothing to shield your face, and if the entire breech of the firearm explodes at only 45% above standard pressure... I think you need to go back to the drawing board.

Yeah a gun will KB at that pressure level, but being neigh-unsurvivable in that event is is a bit inexcusable.

I mean sheesh, a SAFETY FEATURE of the firearm almost ended this man's life. Had those ears not been on the receiver he'd just have a black eye and a broken arm.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    While yes you can say that, there's no real safety built into the design in the event of a catastrophic failure.
    There are no vent ports, there's nothing to shield your face, and if the entire breech of the firearm explodes at only 45% above standard pressure... I think you need to go back to the drawing board.

Yeah a gun will KB at that pressure level, but being neigh-unsurvivable in that event is is a bit inexcusable.

I mean sheesh, a SAFETY FEATURE of the firearm almost ended this man's life. Had those ears not been on the receiver he'd just have a black eye and a broken arm.

This right here, Forgotten Weapons on Reddit actually made a comment I did not think about. Serbu knew the end cap blows at 85,000 PSI, why did they use such a heavy profile barrel? If the barrel would have been rated for say 80,000 PSI the end cap would never become essentially a projectile.

This further reinforces Serbus as basically glorified pipe bombs in my mind. If I want a 50 it will be a Barret, at least a catastrophic failure won't kill me out of those.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    This further reinforces Serbus as basically glorified pipe bombs in my mind. If I want a 50 it will be a Barret, at least a catastrophic failure won't kill me out of those.

I've long thought of serbu firearms as glorified zip guns made by a guy in his garage.
    Their super shorty shotguns are the only thing I'd touch because he only modifies them.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I've long thought of serbu firearms as glorified zip guns made by a guy in his garage.
    Their super shorty shotguns are the only thing I'd touch because he only modifies them.
    Apparently Scott is sending the rifle to Serbu , I want to see what they come up with. I wonder if any of the brass case survived?

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    This right here, Forgotten Weapons on Reddit actually made a comment I did not think about. Serbu knew the end cap blows at 85,000 PSI, why did they use such a heavy profile barrel? If the barrel would have been rated for say 80,000 PSI the end cap would never become essentially a projectile.

That's an interesting point. Like a fuse, you want the thing that fails and vents pressure first to be the thing least likely to kill the operator. It would be better for the cap to stay on and the barrel to banana open. So a sufficiently heavy barrel moves that first point of failure to the cap.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    This makes me wonder if he caused the sabot to set back when he was screwing the end cap on.

I have been reading on other forums supposedly Scott had a M2 barrel put on it. But I am currently trying to find that video with no luck, I have heard him say "heavy bipod" but nothing about a special barrel.

pitbulld45

Follower of I AM
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Terre Haute
    I have been reading on other forums supposedly Scott had a M2 barrel put on it. But I am currently trying to find that video with no luck, I have heard him say "heavy bipod" but nothing about a special barrel.
    The video on page two of this thread posted by Sylvain He explains he put a different barrel on it.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    As a former volunteer EMT of 24 years experience...with his injury(s) he's fortunate to be alive, upright, and talking!
    Fortunately, for him, both his father and himself, he understood some basic of acute trauma and how to respond to it!
    His, and his father's, quick response to plug the wound and apply pressure to stop the bleeding, saved his life!
    It just goes to show that having a basic understanding of trauma and how to respond quickly to it, matters!
    If you lack a basic understanding of trauma recognition and response, take a class from a paramedic somewhere and pick up a few pointers....the knowledge could very well save your or someone you care about's life some day!

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I'm curious if Scott has some of those SLAP rounds left, from the same batch, that can be studied.

I don't know anything about reloading ammo.
    Can you see if it was handmade reload by just looking at it? Tool marks maybe?

Can you find out if they are overpressure without shooting the thing? I assume the cartridge just contains more powder than regular rounds.

pitbulld45

Follower of I AM
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Terre Haute
    I'm curious if Scott has some of those SLAP rounds left, from the same batch, that can be studied.

I don't know anything about reloading ammo.
    Can you see if it was handmade reload by just looking at it? Tool marks maybe?

Can you find out if they are overpressure without shooting the thing? I assume the cartridge just contains more powder than regular rounds.
    He could for sure pull the bullet and see how much powder is in the case.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've never loaded 50BMG, are there specific powders? When I load African sized cartridges in guns, they are generally using slower powders that if I use in semi auto stuff would not cycle the action properly.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I've never loaded 50BMG, are there specific powders? When I load African sized cartridges in guns, they are generally using slower powders that if I use in semi auto stuff would not cycle the action properly.
    Yes, there's specific powder for 50bmg.
    UjGYrhC.png

AFAIK, it's the slowest burning powder available.

Top Bottom