• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    And this is why barrett rifles have a truck load of steel between you and any operating component.

The pressures may not sound insane, but over the volume they are applied to and the volume of gas, if something goes wrong it's going to be a big bomb.

I was nervous something like this would eventually happen when I first saw the RN50.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I'd say a company is going to lose a lot of sales over this. Hope they check maybe recall their firearms and check them out.

I'd hate to have seen that as a father. His dad went from documentary filming to medic in seconds. Good job dad :thumbsup:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    What ammo was he using. No substitutes so I'm out of the loop just what I see is all.
    Some SLAP rounds.
    Saboted Light Armor Penetrator.
    I assume old surplus ammo. :dunno:

maxresdefault.jpg

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    He shot the same SLAP rounds from the same gun a bunch of times in previous videos.

I don't know if they all come from the same batch or not.
    If they are surplus from the 1990's or if people reload them.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    for those that don't want to watch the video it was caused by the ammo* not the rifle.
    *he paid ~$100 per round for what he thought (hoped) was surplus factory loaded SLAP ammo but is now assuming it may have been a waay overpressured reload
    I just might have to make this my first YouTuber Shirt purchase.

View attachment 137777
    ...best part is that his wife came up with that "slogan" :):

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    for those that don't want to watch the video it was caused by the ammo* not the rifle.
    *he paid ~$100 per round for what he thought (hoped) was surplus factory loaded SLAP ammo but is now assuming it may have been a waay overpressured reload

...best part is that his wife came up with that "slogan" :):
    Thanks for the update :thumbsup:

I watched the video but no subtitles like he normally has for some reason.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    I like his videos and he seems like a genuinely nice fellow, but shooting SLAP rounds in a regular 50BMG rifle is a bad idea. He showed the cartridges in another one of his videos and they are factory correct rounds, not reloads. I've never even seen original SLAP components for sale, so I doubt anyone could convincingly fake these. There were some clear light blue 50BMG sabots on the market in the past, but those were a commercial product and not a USGI standard item. USGI SLAP rounds in a regular 50BMG rifle are a bad idea for the following reasons:

1. Like other sabot rounds, you are not supposed to shoot them through anything with a muzzle brake. Because of the space available within the brake, the sabot petals can begin to open/peel back hitting the brake baffles as the round passes through the brake - dangerous! That's also why his accuracy was off at random times. The petals peeling back and hitting the brake baffles probably isn't doing any favors for pressures either since it's sort of acting like a minor bore obstruction at that point. It might even explain the added muzzle flash that occurs at times (remember, the stuff is designed for maximum velocity in a 45" long M2 barrel).

2. Most 50BMG rifles won't even chamber those rounds because of the shape (length) and diameter of the sabot. Because of this, there are potential pressure problems even if you can chamber them.

3. The 50BMG is NOT a SAAMI-spec cartridge, so commercial chambers and exotic military loadings can vary in ways that don't always mesh well. In US manuals, the M903 (SLAP) and M962 (SLAP-T) are only certified for use in the M2. That's called a clue.

Years ago Barrett did make some specially chambered M82 rifle barrels for SLAP rounds for the US military. Everyone involved kept a tight lid on those barrels and I don't know whatever became of the project (successful? not successful? successful but not needed?) or if Barrett would even still mess with such a thing, even for the US gov. SLAP rounds are an odd duck designed to do one thing exceedingly well from a particular platform - the M2. Even in the M2, SLAP rounds aren't super reliable depending on the gun and how it's headspace is set, but an M2 is a lot tougher than any rifle, more tolerant of high pressures, and is much less harmful to the operator than a rifle if something goes wrong and lets go. Bottom line, SLAP is for M2s and not rifles.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    I went looking through his videos since I knew he had some good footage of the cartridges themselves and I found this really interesting info. Watch and listen to what he says from 5:00 to 6:30.

Still a bad idea to put those rounds through a gun with a muzzle brake, but now I'm really wondering what all happened to make things go so badly!

Top Bottom