• ...and so much more!
  • Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    That strongly suggests a coiled case chamber as they had a separate case head attached to a coiled brass case body similar to a shotgun shell. There was a taper from the base forward and then a mostly straight case to the mouth for the coiled portion. Like the ones on the left in the picture below:

You might try taking diameter measurements of your chamber cast all along the length to determine if it is a drawn-case straight taper or two separate tapers as found on a coiled case.
    Oh, well, that will make finding ammo much easier! :n00b:

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Update time! Sorry for the long pause but stuff happens.

I have some improved pics of the markings to share...but of course they are too large so I'll have to work on that.

I spent a lot of time with the calipers and my chamber casting to try and determine why the .500bpe cartridges would not chamber...then I found a company that supplies .50-90 snap caps! So I ordered a set and low and behold they work like a charm. Made with actual brass and bullets. (I will find their information and post it)

So what I have is an original Austrian manufactured .50-90 Sharps double gun as that chambering is just a bit smaller than the .500bpe. I have a line on some possible ammunition also, just waiting on word from the store. I'll give them a jingle and see what is up.

Here is a comparison of the ammo with the snap caps...they are ever so close.

John, would you like me to send the cases you most graciously made for me to try back to you?

boolets.jpg

More to follow when I get a chance to resample the pics to a smaller size.

Top Bottom