• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    It's a good point. They need to work within the law. I'm not sure though that they sell in huge volumes. With number limits at every big box store, it's going to be a box here a box there. I'm not sure about the tax law end of it. They already paid sales tax if they bought it retail. I'm not sure how that figures into what they've sold it for.

One does pay sales tax when they buy a used car? Right?

You trade in a gun to buy another, someone buys your trade in and they pay sales tax.

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    " I have nearly 1500 rounds and obtain 100 each week from my LGS. "

I'm sorry but when I read that I couldn't help but laugh, that wouldn't even load my magazines for AM180, when I take the grand kids out to shoot the minimum is a brick, if I take the AM180 out the minimum is 3 bricks and more likely 2-3 times that, at 1600 RPM it goes through them pretty fast:ar15:

That's the difference, I am letting the kids shoot a ruger single six. 6 rounds of single action revolver goes a lot futher then it does even in the model 60 rifle. And that's just the rimfire shooting we do. There is also centerfire ammo we delve into. And archery...

Someone else asked if we'd have a problem with manufacturers charging $75. Honestly, I wouldn't. If that was the fair market value so be it. As is you have a small population of people with nothing but time on their hands to stand in line and snag all the ammo in hopes of selling it at inflated prices. I agree with what someone else above stated about this harming youth shooting. I know our 4H shooting sports leadership are concerned because they consume a ton of ammo in a typical weekend. What are they supposed to do? Pay ammo scalpers? 4H shooting sports is a wonderful program designed to bring young people into the sport. These are the future defenders of the 2nd amendment, that might never get the opportunity to be exposed to the sport.

Ironically, I received a phone message from my LGS about 2:30 today. they are ending their call list for 22LR and 22WMR ammo because they just received a very large shipment of bulk packs and are just going to stock the shelves and see where it goes. I called back to ask about limits, 1 bulk pack per day. I think the tide may be turning on the supply issues. I called the other LGS and he also has bulk packs in stock and CCI stinger 50 packs.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I propose an ammo bank. Those who hate flippers and worry about the future of shooting sports can buy 22 ammo once Walmart shelves are flush with 22. During the next shortage, you sell it to those without for exactly what you paid for it. The more you bank, the more you care about your fellow shooter.

How much can I count on each of you to spend to save the sport?

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    If you walked into Walmart and found a bulk pack of federal for $72.99, would it **** you off? My guess is, it would. Would you blame Walmart? My guess is, you would.

But if they'd have done that back when this crap first started, there'd have been no flippers, and you'd have seen plenty of ammo on the shelves then, and the price would have dropped back to normal within a few months. These "flippers" got most of their supply from big box stores. If they had no source of cheap ammo, there'd be no incentive to flip.

But no, we like to hold businesses to our own "ideals" so they don't respond to the market in natural ways. So they still sell it cheap when the market would bear much more. And people buy it up.

It's not just the "flippers" that are gaming Walmart on ammunition. The mom and pop gun shops did it all the time, before Walmart took it upon itself to institute purchase limits. They had an almost limitless supply of people representing gun shops come in and buy hundreds of dollars worth of ammo at a crack. Only to place it on their shelves and mark it up 25% to 35%. Some years back the sporting goods manager at my local Walmart said he had 2 guys come in within fifteen minutes of each other, and clean them out. One guy bought over $900.00 worth, and the other spent over $1,200.00. The store manager called Bentonville, Arkansas and told them what had just taken place. They told them it was happening at Walmart's all over the country. Within a week purchase limits were put in place by Walmart's home office. This is where the B.S. comes in with.... "Supporting local businesses that big, bad Walmart is trying to run out of Dodge, so they can have a monopoly in the town".

The same with candy for vending machine operators. They will openly admit that Walmart sells it far cheaper during sales, than they can get it from their distributors. Especially during Halloween. Many local restaurants used to do much the same with coffee, buying cases of the stuff. The flippers just took advantage of somewhat of an unusual situation. Low prices coupled with panic buying from people thinking the ammunition sky was falling. It added up to a perfect storm. Regardless, it will all end in due time. People cannot keep buying every round of ammunition produced until the Asteroid hits.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    One does pay sales tax when they buy a used car? Right?

Um. Yeah. Sure. I really did pay a dollar for the car. Really. I did.

J/K

It's not just the "flippers" that are gaming Walmart on ammunition. The mom and pop gun shops did it all the time, before Walmart took it upon itself to institute purchase limits. They had an almost limitless supply of people representing gun shops come in and buy hundreds of dollars worth of ammo at a crack. Only to place it on their shelves and mark it up 25% to 35%. Some years back the sporting goods manager at my local Walmart said he had 2 guys come in within fifteen minutes of each other, and clean them out. One guy bought over $900.00 worth, and the other spent over $1,200.00. The store manager called Bentonville, Arkansas and told them what had just taken place. They told them it was happening at Walmart's all over the country. Within a week purchase limits were put in place by Walmart's home office. This is where the B.S. comes in with.... "Supporting local businesses that big, bad Walmart is trying to run out of Dodge, so they can have a monopoly in the town".

The same with candy for vending machine operators. They will openly admit that Walmart sells it far cheaper during sales, than they can get it from their distributors. Especially during Halloween. Many local restaurants used to do much the same with coffee, buying cases of the stuff. The flippers just took advantage of somewhat of an unusual situation. Low prices coupled with panic buying from people thinking the ammunition sky was falling. It added up to a perfect storm. Regardless, it will all end in due time. People cannot keep buying every round of ammunition produced until the Asteroid hits.

Agreed.

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    I propose an ammo bank. Those who hate flippers and worry about the future of shooting sports can buy 22 ammo once Walmart shelves are flush with 22. During the next shortage, you sell it to those without for exactly what you paid for it. The more you bank, the more you care about your fellow shooter.

How much can I count on each of you to spend to save the sport?

I've offered a bulk pack (over 1/3 of the 22lr I have) to the shooting sports program if they want it at no charge. Some of us talk a good game. Others get in there and actually take part in it....

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I've offered a bulk pack (over 1/3 of the 22lr I have) to the shooting sports program if they want it at no charge. Some of us talk a good game. Others get in there and actually take part in it....

So $20? That's a lot of care right there.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    A couple months ago I was wandering around a gun show before it opened, since my stuff was already set up on my table. I saw a guy with a case of 12 boxes of 525 Remington golden bullets, priced at $45 each.

Another vendor came up and made a deal with the guy for the whole case, and took them back to his table. He put 2 bricks on his table at $60 each, and put the rest under the table.

Yet another vendor saw the $60 price, and bought both bricks, then took them to his booth and priced them $75. The other guy pulled out two more at $60.

I don't think any of this ammo was sold once the show opened to the public. So, did anybody make money?

Just the first vendor.

I wonder if the other two whined about nobody buying anything.

Any more of your co-pilots trying to die on you? Just kidding.

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    It's not the flippers who are buying up all the .22LR. I wish people would come to that realization. The majority of .22LR buyers are purchasing it for themselves. Sure, there are some that are buying it to flip, but they are a tiny minority.

And you can support that statement with facts, or is it in fact your opinion?

I can speak from my personal experiences. I have bought 17K rounds of .22LR from Wal-Mart since Sandy Hook, and haven't flipped a single round for profit. Not one. I haven't bought any since probably last summer, but I've turned LOTS of friends onto most shipments of .22LR that hit our local store, and none of them are reselling. My buddy has friends who have hit Wal-Marts here in Indiana for 50K+ rounds of .22LR EACH in the last year, and none of them are reselling either. So, I can vouch for hundreds of thousands of rounds of .22LR in southern Indiana that aren't being bought by flippers. My store gets .22LR in on a weekly basis.

tonyb71

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    So. Indiana
    I can speak from my personal experiences. I have bought 17K rounds of .22LR from Wal-Mart since Sandy Hook, and haven't flipped a single round for profit. Not one. I haven't bought any since probably last summer, but I've turned LOTS of friends onto most shipments of .22LR that hit our local store, and none of them are reselling. My buddy has friends who have hit Wal-Marts here in Indiana for 50K+ rounds of .22LR EACH in the last year, and none of them are reselling either. So, I can vouch for hundreds of thousands of rounds of .22LR in southern Indiana that aren't being bought by flippers. My store gets .22LR in on a weekly basis.

No sure what Walmarts you are going to in Southern Indiana but I haven't seen any near Evansville.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    And just how much did you offer? Don't slight someone for helping, not everyone can fund a program on their own so any little bit helps, it's very low class to make fun of someone for doing what they can.

And it's low class to expect OTHERS who bothered to prepare to bail out those who didn't. I haven't bought 22 ammo in 5 years but I have plenty. I don't owe it to anyone.

If the entire future of shooting sports hinges on the availability of cheap and plentiful 22 ammo, you'd think a concerned party would willingly buy up ammo with their own money in times of plenty to bail out others during the next shortage at 0 profit. Can I put you down for $1000?

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    there are 2 adds on Hoosier Topics one has 22mag shot shells for $100.00 a 50 and 750rd 22lr for $85.00.....i told them they where stoned!!!!!

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    I still dont get it about 22 ammo hoarding? Is it because it's cheap and people can tell everyone at the watercooler they have 20k rounds of ammo stockpiled to sound cool? Once again...you guys know a 22 wont kill a zombie right?

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I still dont get it about 22 ammo hoarding? Is it because it's cheap and people can tell everyone at the watercooler they have 20k rounds of ammo stockpiled to sound cool? Once again...you guys know a 22 wont kill a zombie right?

I don't get why people spend $500+ on an uber tacticool 22 and want to blow a bulk pack through it every weekend and then complain they can't afford a $50 bulk pack. They have just as much right to their thought process as the guy who buys a $200 22 and the other $300+ on ammo to have.

The last 22 I bought was $13.95 a bulk pack. You think it will ever be that cheap again? 20 years from now and it's $50+, I'll still be shooting my $13.95 ammo. Yep, I do it to be the king of the water cooler.

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville

It's because .22LR production could cease today, and I'd still have a lifetime supply of .22LR for hunting small game. I guess I could use my suppressed .22 rifle in an anti-personnel manner if the need should arise as well -- close range head shots and all that.

Top Bottom