• Status
    Not open for further replies.

91FXRS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2011
    NWI
    Bacon wrapped pork tenderloin on my new shelf with stuffed portobello mushrooms. Asparagus and taters will go on soon.
    56fd37941b6a8011fba3774fcfcf2671.jpg

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
    What are your thoughts on the shelf? Temp issues? I know we have the same smoker, and I can say there has been a few times I could have used some extra space.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    What are your thoughts on the shelf? Temp issues? I know we have the same smoker, and I can say there has been a few times I could have used some extra space.
    First off, the shelf came pre-warped. I tried to twist it back into shape so it would sit flat, but no luck. It has about 1.5" of rock when sitting on a flat surface. So that's not great.

It was something I said I wanted a long time ago that the wife remembered so she got it for me for Christmas. What she never heard me say, cause I'm sure I never told her, is I really like the slide out shelves some guys are making and selling on Facebook. They seem like a much better option.

I obviously didn't need it for what I was cooking in that pic, but yeah, that extra space will come in handy. And I think for shorter duration cooks, like that pork tenderloin, having the smoke tube right under the meat gets it smokier faster. As for temp, it cooked in the time I expected it to, so I don't think it's an issue.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    maybe this will be the year I'll get a smoker....what pellet smoker is everybody using that works great?
    I only have experience with RecTeq. After much research I bought a 700 a couple years ago. Mostly based on the wifi control, the warranty, and their reputation for outstanding customer service.

I didn't have it long before I had problem with it not lighting. It was late on a Saturday night and I was starting it up for a couple pork butts on an overnight cook. I just removed everything and lit the pellets in the firepot with a torch. Problem solved, but I shouldn't have to do that with a $1200 grill. I posted something to a RecTeq owners Facebook group asking what the problem could be and went to bed.

On Sunday morning at 9AM, my phone rang. All the caller ID said was Georgia caller, so I let it go to voice mail. It was RecTeq customer service calling me about my problem. I was kinda shocked. I mean, I never contacted them. I just posted a question to a Facebook group that wasn't even affiliated with the company. I called them back and was like, so did you guys sense a disturbance in The Force or what? He said, no. They just monitor social media pretty closely and when I posted that I was having a problem, they looked up my contact info from my order and thought they should give me a call, on a Sunday morning.

I was still cooking butts so I couldn't do any troubleshooting, but he suggested moving the igniter slightly closer to the firepot. He also went ahead and sent me a new igniter, just in case. I moved it and haven't had it happen again. The new one has been in an envelope in my junk drawer ever since.

Every experience I've had with their customer service has been outstanding. Based on that I bought another grill from them, a 380.

I must be a great salesman for them because now my son has a 380, son in law has a 590, and my boss has a 590 and a 380.

There is a Facebook group called RecTeq Grill Owners of America. My customer service story is pretty normal, but some of them are amazing. People getting grills stolen by porch pirates? RecTeq sends them another free of charge. Grill destroyed by tornadoes, hurricanes, floods, etc? RecTeq sends them a new one. One guy had his stolen off his porch but the thieves lost it out of the back of their truck going around a corner. He drug it home, all bent up and beat to hell. Sent pics to RecTeq and asked if they could come up with a list of parts he needed to fix it. They said, sure. Here's what we'll do. We will send you all the parts free of charge, but there's a catch. After you finish fixing it and testing it out, we want you to donate it to your local fire department. Send us a pic of you giving it to the chief and we'll send you brand new one.

My only fear is that as they grow, that level of customer service will become impossible to maintain.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I have been 100% happy with my Traeger. I bought midrange (Ironwood 885), and it has been worth every penny.
    I had my sights on this particular model as my dad has the older model...I don't recall him having any issues with his(as long as you shut the grill down right). But I'm seeing other brands mentioned and thought I'd ask...

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I only have experience with RecTeq. After much research I bought a 700 a couple years ago. Mostly based on the wifi control, the warranty, and their reputation for outstanding customer service.

I didn't have it long before I had problem with it not lighting. It was late on a Saturday night and I was starting it up for a couple pork butts on an overnight cook. I just removed everything and lit the pellets in the firepot with a torch. Problem solved, but I shouldn't have to do that with a $1200 grill. I posted something to a RecTeq owners Facebook group asking what the problem could be and went to bed.

On Sunday morning at 9AM, my phone rang. All the caller ID said was Georgia caller, so I let it go to voice mail. It was RecTeq customer service calling me about my problem. I was kinda shocked. I mean, I never contacted them. I just posted a question to a Facebook group that wasn't even affiliated with the company. I called them back and was like, so did you guys sense a disturbance in The Force or what? He said, no. They just monitor social media pretty closely and when I posted that I was having a problem, they looked up my contact info from my order and thought they should give me a call, on a Sunday morning.

I was still cooking butts so I couldn't do any troubleshooting, but he suggested moving the igniter slightly closer to the firepot. He also went ahead and sent me a new igniter, just in case. I moved it and haven't had it happen again. The new one has been in an envelope in my junk drawer ever since.

Every experience I've had with their customer service has been outstanding. Based on that I bought another grill from them, a 380.

I must be a great salesman for them because now my son has a 380, son in law has a 590, and my boss has a 590 and a 380.

There is a Facebook group called RecTeq Grill Owners of America. My customer service story is pretty normal, but some of them are amazing. People getting grills stolen by porch pirates? RecTeq sends them another free of charge. Grill destroyed by tornadoes, hurricanes, floods, etc? RecTeq sends them a new one. One guy had his stolen off his porch but the thieves lost it out of the back of their truck going around a corner. He drug it home, all bent up and beat to hell. Sent pics to RecTeq and asked if they could come up with a list of parts he needed to fix it. They said, sure. Here's what we'll do. We will send you all the parts free of charge, but there's a catch. After you finish fixing it and testing it out, we want you to donate it to your local fire department. Send us a pic of you giving it to the chief and we'll send you brand new one.

My only fear is that as they grow, that level of customer service will become impossible to maintain.
    Not going to lie, that sounds very compelling for getting this brand. Customer service is important to me as I've had bad customer experiences in the past on different products.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I know a store that is selling a traeger pro series 34 for $450 brand new in the box....was an open box return. Should I jump on that or hold out for an ironwood 885 or ReqTec for more then twice the money?

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I know a store that is selling a traeger pro series 34 for $450 brand new in the box....was an open box return. Should I jump on that or hold out for an ironwood 885 or ReqTec for more then twice the money?
    I believe the Pro 34 has basically the same overall cooking surface area as the Ironwood 885. The primary differences (some that would matter for me, but might not matter for others):
    • WiFire: I don't believe the Pro 34 has WiFire (control of the smoker via the app/remotely)
    • Firebox thickness: I went with the Ironwood because it uses thicker material, which (ostensibly) provides better heat retention, especially when smoking in cold weather. (You could also get a thermal blanket.)
    • I think the Ironwood has a newer/better auger
    • The Ironwood channels the smoke using a downflow design, whereas the Pro 34 uses the chimney
    For the open-box price, those might be more than adequate trade-offs.

Revdev86

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2023
    Central Indiana
    Unpopular opinion time…

Filet sucks. I’ll take a ribeye or strip over filet any day of the week. I’ve tried every method and I just don’t see the allure of filet. I know some people love them, and I’ve had what others described as “the best filet they’ve every had”. I’ve never been that impressed.
    Same opinion as you.. we stock up big time on ribeyes when they are on sale at Kroger for $7.99 a pound and vac seal em. Something about the flavor your get from the fat just hits better than a super lean filet.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom