d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Time to start a new thread for a new year.
    Link to 2022 thread

First long smoke with the new Z grills pellet smoker 20230101_130606.jpg

8# pork shoulder. Started right after midnight. Hit 201° after 13hrs. All wrapped up and in the cooler now

20230101_130552.jpg

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I've been slacking on posting pics.

Did wings, pork loin, and chili and either forgot pics or forgot to post.

Hoping to do some jerky with ground venison this week. Been wanting to try that style for awhile and got a jerky cannon for Christmas

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Unpopular opinion time…

Filet sucks. I’ll take a ribeye or strip over filet any day of the week. I’ve tried every method and I just don’t see the allure of filet. I know some people love them, and I’ve had what others described as “the best filet they’ve every had”. I’ve never been that impressed.
    Man I love filet and believe it or not my local Meijer has the best around. Ribeye a close second but everything else I'll pass on.

When I buy my side of beef every year, the Porterhouse will get grilled but t-bones and strip steak get used for fajitas

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Unpopular opinion time…

Filet sucks. I’ll take a ribeye or strip over filet any day of the week. I’ve tried every method and I just don’t see the allure of filet. I know some people love them, and I’ve had what others described as “the best filet they’ve every had”. I’ve never been that impressed.
    Absolutely. I'll take a ribeye over any other cut of beef every time. I'll take flank or skirt over filet.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Man I love filet and believe it or not my local Meijer has the best around. Ribeye a close second but everything else I'll pass on.

When I buy my side of beef every year, the Porterhouse will get grilled but t-bones and strip steak get used for fajitas
    You do know T-bones and Porterhouse come from the same cut of meat right? The T-bone is the front half of the loin and the porterhouse comes from the back half of the same loin. They both are made up of a strip on one side of the bone and a filet on the other.

Ribeye tops them all for me. T-bone and Porterhouse come in second.

I agree filet is overrated at least for me. My daughter on the other hand really prefers the leaner cuts.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    You do know T-bones and Porterhouse come from the same cut of meat right? The T-bone is the front half of the loin and the porterhouse comes from the back half of the same loin. They both are made up of a strip on one side of the bone and a filet on the other.

Ribeye tops them all for me. T-bone and Porterhouse come in second.

I agree filet is overrated at least for me. My daughter on the other hand really prefers the leaner cuts.
    I know this. The porterhouse has a much bigger filet v/s a t-bone. That's why t-bone gets relegated to fajitas like NY strip does. At least a decent porterhouse has a 3-4oz filet on it.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    Unpopular opinion time…

Not a terribly unpopular opinion. I'd rather have ribeye or strip myself. I even would take a very nice sirloin. They all have much better beef flavor, albeit while sacrificing tenderness.

Having said that, the next time I see a whole tenderloin for $5.50/lb, I'm jumping on it again. Seven nice center cut steaks and enough left from the ends and chain to have beef stroganoff tomorrow.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    Last month, I bought a small rib roast on sale for Christmas Day and stuck it in the freezer. I planned to cook it on the Traeger but with the weather being so cold on Christmas, I debated just sticking it in the oven. I decided instead to get this insulation blanket for my Traeger after seeing something similar on this thread a while back. It was an off brand which cost about half as much and got better reviews than the Traeger branded one.

It helped a lot in the 12 degree cold and my temperature held much more stable than I am accustomed to seeing in cold weather. The roast turned out pretty good too.

EB8B46BB-49CE-42DF-94A5-0D6B6F1B75EC_1_105_c.jpeg 655405CB-25EA-46A0-8D96-F4309E989D77_1_105_c.jpeg

68D4EA29-633B-4E00-A852-10BFC0B9741A_1_105_c.jpeg

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    I have always been a fan of strip but it's getting harder and harder to find ones that aren't tough and chewy at the local stores. Any more, I only eat it at a good steak house. We have been grilling more filets than anything else lately.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom