Not open for further replies.

Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    This one is a long shot, but it's well worth hitting send. Jim Lucas talked about it in the second hour of The Gun Guy Show. Direct all fire to Courts and Criminal Code Chair Wendy McNamara.

Representative McNamara,

I am writing to encourage your support of HB 1114, Self Defense. Authored by Representatives Lucas, Teshka, and Payne, this bill corrects a longstanding problem that resulted from an Indiana Appeals Court decision.

HB 1114 does not change when reasonable use of force includes deadly force. Likewise, it does not make it legal to point a firearm at someone without the imminent threat of unlawful force. What HB 1114 does do is accurately define deadly force.

Over 20 years ago, the Indiana Appeals Court ruled in Nantz v State that the act of pointing a firearm was deadly force. Inference and possibility (the basis of the Nantz decision) are not the same as deadly force by any stretch of the imagination. HB 1114 simply specifies that pointing a firearm is reasonable force in a self-defense or arrest situation, correcting over 20 years of judicial overreach.

HB 1114 is a very short bill, changing very little in current Indiana Code. Better defining reasonable force will be of great help to Hoosiers in self-defense situations, and afterwards. I’m sure I can count on your support with this important legislation and that you’ll schedule a hearing for this bill.

Thank you,

Name

Address

Phone Number

Email

Done

Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    After two years of opposition from Governor Holcomb’s administration and stonewalling by the Republican-controlled Senate and President Pro Tempore Rod Bray, Hoosier’s are demanding action on Lawful Carry legislation, also known as Constitutional Carry.

Last year, the Senate Judiciary Committee, chaired by Senator Liz Brown, refused to take up similar legislation, which passed the House by a vote of 65- 31, denying gun owners in Indiana an opportunity to be heard. This year, the same committee blocked NRA-backed amendments to Lawful Carry and refused to allow a vote at the time of the hearing.

In the last year, five states have enacted similar legislation, and neighboring Ohio is poised to send their own bill to the Governor’s desk. Twenty one states have now recognized the right of their law-abiding citizens to carry a concealed firearm in public without a government issued permit. It is time for the Senate and Governor Holcomb to take action and show Hoosiers where they stand on this important piece of Second Amendment legislation.

Contact Senate President Pro Tempore Rod Bray and ask him to send NRA-backed HB 1077 to the Corrections and Criminal Law Committee and allow it to receive a full hearing and vote.

House Bill 1077 allows any law-abiding adult who is legally eligible to obtain a carry permit, to carry a handgun without first having to obtain government permission. This ensures that citizens have their right to self-defense without government red tape or delays. It does not affect previously issued carry permits, and allows citizens who still wish to obtain a permit in order to carry in other states recognizing Indiana permits, to do so.

NRA would like to thank bill sponsors, Rep. Ben Smaltz, Rep. Matt Lehman, Sen. James Tomes, Sen. Eric Koch, Sen. Mark Messmer, and Sen. Erin Houchin, as well as Rep. Jim Lucas, for their continued efforts to advance Second Amendment rights in Indiana. Again, please contact Senate President Pro Tempore Bray and ask him to send NRA-backed HB 1077 to the Corrections and Criminal Law Committee and allow it to receive a full hearing and vote.

Done

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Sent Rod Bray an email as well,
    I no longer fault brown or bray as much as I did. Pressure, aka political extortion, can come in many forms, and I can’t say I would be able to resist all of them.

This is not to say brown and bray are blameless, as she comes across as a true believer that “guns r bad, mmkay?” and he has for several years seemed suspicious to me. I could never really say why.

With Holcomb pushing the anti- agenda though, I can see how they would be under pressure to conform.

The problem is that that violates their oath of office, all of them, and shows them to be unworthy of the public trust.

Blessings,
    Bill

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I no longer fault brown or bray as much as I did. Pressure, aka political extortion, can come in many forms, and I can’t say I would be able to resist all of them.

This is not to say brown and bray are blameless, as she comes across as a true believer that “guns r bad, mmkay?” and he has for several years seemed suspicious to me. I could never really say why.

With Holcomb pushing the anti- agenda though, I can see how they would be under pressure to conform.

The problem is that that violates their oath of office, all of them, and shows them to be unworthy of the public trust.

Blessings,
    Bill

Well, here in NWI.. all my Reps and Sens are anti

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I've once again been writing, emailing, and calling but I'm sure will once again prove pointless.

If our politicians cared what we thought this would've passed 4 years ago. They only present these bills to look good to the 2a voters. I don't believe they ever have intentions of voting on this in the senate

I'm not holding my breath that anything will be done once again this year

I will continue the onslaught of emails and calls however

Kelly, keep up the fight! I'm sure you have to frustrated seeing the ******** firsthand

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I've once again been writing, emailing, and calling but I'm sure will once again prove pointless.

If our politicians cared what we thought this would've passed 4 years ago. They only present these bills to look good to the 2a voters. I don't believe they ever have intentions of voting on this in the senate

I'm not holding my breath that anything will be done once again this year

I will continue the onslaught of emails and calls however

Kelly, keep up the fight! I'm sure you have to frustrated seeing the ******** firsthand
    not to mention, all the NWI politicians are anti

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    This one is a long shot, but it's well worth hitting send. Jim Lucas talked about it in the second hour of The Gun Guy Show. Direct all fire to Courts and Criminal Code Chair Wendy McNamara.

Representative McNamara,

I am writing to encourage your support of HB 1114, Self Defense. Authored by Representatives Lucas, Teshka, and Payne, this bill corrects a longstanding problem that resulted from an Indiana Appeals Court decision.

HB 1114 does not change when reasonable use of force includes deadly force. Likewise, it does not make it legal to point a firearm at someone without the imminent threat of unlawful force. What HB 1114 does do is accurately define deadly force.

Over 20 years ago, the Indiana Appeals Court ruled in Nantz v State that the act of pointing a firearm was deadly force. Inference and possibility (the basis of the Nantz decision) are not the same as deadly force by any stretch of the imagination. HB 1114 simply specifies that pointing a firearm is reasonable force in a self-defense or arrest situation, correcting over 20 years of judicial overreach.

HB 1114 is a very short bill, changing very little in current Indiana Code. Better defining reasonable force will be of great help to Hoosiers in self-defense situations, and afterwards. I’m sure I can count on your support with this important legislation and that you’ll schedule a hearing for this bill.

Thank you,

Name

Address

Phone Number

Email

Cleared HOT!

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    To the top!!

Already sent it? Find it in your sent items and hit reply to all. Delete "Re:" out of the subject. Delete what it put in at the top on a reply (automatic on replies in Outlook and Yahoo email) bringing the "Senator(s)" to the top of the email. Hit send.

Doing this makes it send the auto-reply. It does not do that on a reply. I'm not IT or remotely techy, but that seems like something to send replies to the SPAM.
    Fire for effect!!

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN

Blessings,
    Bill
    I didn’t vote for Holcomb last time around and I’ll never support him again no matter where his ambitions take him. I feel betrayed. We all should.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    SB 143 draft email:

Senator,

I am writing to encourage your support of SB 143, Self Defense. Authored by Senators Baldwin, Michael Young, and Garten, this bill corrects a longstanding problem that resulted from an Indiana Appeals Court decision.

SB 143 does not change when reasonable use of force includes deadly force. Likewise, SB 143 does not make it legal to point a firearm at someone without the imminent threat of unlawful force. What SB 143 does do is accurately define deadly force.

Over 20 years ago, the Indiana Appeals Court ruled in Nantz v State that the act of pointing a firearm was deadly force. Inference and possibility (the basis of the Nantz decision) are not the same as deadly force by any stretch of the imagination. SB 143 simply specifies that pointing a firearm is reasonable force in a self-defense or arrest situation, correcting over 20 years of judicial overreach.

SB 143 is a very short bill, changing very little in current Indiana Code. Better defining reasonable force will be of great help to Hoosiers in self-defense situations, and afterwards. I’m sure I can count on your support with this important legislation.

Thank you,

Name

Address

Phone Number

Email
    Haven't bumped this one in a while. SB 143 is up in the Senate Corrections and Criminal Law Committee tomorrow at 1000 in room 130.

I'll be there, if Guy gets done in court early enough he will also testify.

This is the same as a bill last year (199) that passed the Senate only to not get a hearing in the House. That would be the same committee that didn't schedule Jim Lucas's bill (HB 1114, same title, very similar bills)

Hopefully this one will get through. Then it's all fire once again directed at Wendy McNamara. She doesn't give it a hearing? District 76 is a LONG WAY way from Avon... just sayin.

Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    Haven't bumped this one in a while. SB 143 is up in the Senate Corrections and Criminal Law Committee tomorrow at 1000 in room 130.

This is the same as a bill last year (199) that passed the Senate only to not get a hearing in the House. That would be the same committee that didn't schedule Jim Lucas's bill (HB 1114, same title, very similar bills)

Hopefully this one will get through. Then it's all fire once again directed at Wendy McNamara. She doesn't give it a hearing? District 76 is a LONG WAY way from Avon... just sayin.

Emails sent.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    [2A LEGISLATION ACTION ALERT SOUNDER!!!]

OK INGO, we are turning up the heat. This is one front on a multi-front campaign. Time to fill up some inboxes.

Email Senate President Pro Tempore Bray and your State Senator tonight. Hit reply to all and send tomorrow. Hit reply to all and send again Sunday. Hit reply to all and send again Monday.

Subject line: ASSIGN HB 1077 FIREARMS MATTERS TO THE CORRECTIONS AND CRIMINAL LAW COMMITTEE AND GIVE IT A HEARING

Senator(s),
    I am writing to urge your support of HB 1077, Firearms Matters. This bill was authored by Representative Smaltz and co-authored by Representatives Lehman, Lucas, Snow, Carbaugh, Lindauer, Engleman, Gutwein, Wesco, Teshka, May, Behning, Heaton, Frye, Mayfield, Hostettler, Jeter, Judy, Abbott, Lauer, Barrett, Leonard, Cook, Davis, Ledbetter, VanNatter, Heine, Manning, Davisson, Payne, and Borders. HB 1077 is sponsored by Senators Koch, Tomes, Houchin, and Messmer.

After what happened this week in the Senate Judiciary Committee with the Senate Bill 14 (Firearms Matters) hearing, HB 1077 (a bill which overwhelmingly passed the House) must be assigned to the Corrections and Criminal Law Committee in order to receive a fair hearing.

HB 1077 codifies the lawful carry of handguns, and comes at a time when the essential right of self-defense has never been more important.

There are currently 21 States with permit-less/no license carry of handguns. Those who opposed such legislation predicted dire consequences, as they do for any bill remotely considered Pro-2nd Amendment and Pro-Article 1, Section 32 of the Indiana Constitution. Observation shows this is not the case, as does data from FBI Uniform Crime Reporting. This is further proved by the fact that no State which has repealed its handgun licensing scheme, has re-instated it because it drove an increase in criminal activity. Put simply: the law-abiding don’t commit crimes. Criminals commit crimes and are undeterred by licensing schemes.

HB 1077 does not change the definition of “proper person” that currently exists, nor does it make it lawful to possess a firearm when an individual is currently a prohibited possessor.

Over the past decade Indiana has passed a number of Pro-2nd Amendment and Pro-Article 1, Section 32 bills into law. These include: the law forbidding the prohibition of firearms stored in vehicles in employer’s parking lots (2010), the firearms law preemption statute (2011), and the strengthening of the language and due process protections under the “Laird Law”, and “Church Carry” (2019). Again, the dire consequences predicted by those who oppose any law that supports the Right to Keep and Bear Arms simply did not happen.

Of the 21 States with Constitutional Carry of handguns, 20 previously had handgun licensing requirements. Zero States have reinstated the licensing requirement.

I’m sure I can count on your support with this vital legislation.

Thank you,

Name
    Address
    Phone Number
    Email
    ONCE MORE UNTO THE BREACH!!

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene

I am still learning the ropes here in Indiana, had procedures in Illinois pretty well figured out. The way I take it looking at the "Committe appearance form" it is to be used if you plan to attend and speak before the committee. Illinois has what is called a "Wittness slip" for bills to be heard in committee. The difference I am seeing is the Illinois form contains the option of "Record of appearance only." This can be filled out if you want to be on record of opposition/proponent but do not actually plan to attend. https://my.ilga.gov/WitnessSlip/Cre...mitteeid=0&chamber=H&nodays=7&_=1642974907692
    Illinois Carry, a internet orginazation similar to INGO would send out alerts and there would be many witness slips sent in to the committee. Would this be doable or would it just mess up the list of those who really plan to be there to speak? E-mails and phone calls would also be made but the wittness slips were quick and easy. Jim.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I am still learning the ropes here in Indiana, had procedures in Illinois pretty well figured out. The way I take it looking at the "Committe appearance form" it is to be used if you plan to attend and speak before the committee. Illinois has what is called a "Wittness slip" for bills to be heard in committee. The difference I am seeing is the Illinois form contains the option of "Record of appearance only." This can be filled out if you want to be on record of opposition/proponent but do not actually plan to attend. https://my.ilga.gov/WitnessSlip/Cre...mitteeid=0&chamber=H&nodays=7&_=1642974907692
    Illinois Carry, a internet orginazation similar to INGO would send out alerts and there would be many witness slips sent in to the committee. Would this be doable or would it just mess up the list of those who really plan to be there to speak? E-mails and phone calls would also be made but the wittness slips were quick and easy. Jim.
    Sign up online or fill out a form here. Name, email, who you’re representing, support oppose or neutral.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

Guy and I are here. Hopefully 143 will be early. A bunch of bills I’d rather not sit through

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom