Not open for further replies.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Maybe a bit early for this, but I’ll start it anyway.
    Maybe some of them read INGO and are looking for ideas for their Christmas lists for the citizens.

I’ll start that thread in a moment, but this one will be for stuff that’s actually happening in the legislature.

Blessings,
    Bill

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Today is 11/21/21. I checked, no bills are published yet. The House members were allowed to start submitting bills as of last Tuesday. deadlines 2022.png First day of the session is Jan 4.

May the session be both productive of removal of infringements of our liberties and protective of our rights, and a healthy session for all our legislators.

Blessings,
    Bill

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Link for the 2022 Legislative Session. Not much there yet, only four committee days in the House (5 and 19 January, 9 and 16 February) and six committee days in the Senate (5, 19, and 26 January, 9, 16 and 23 February.)

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    No bills yet. The House side has the committee assignments up. The Public Policy is the committee is where Constitutional Carry (ConC) will have a committee hearing. The R's and D's look the same as last year.

Jim Lucas is on the committee and Ben Smaltz is the Chairman, both are outstanding supporters of the 2A. The rest of the R's are solid on our side.

The D's (including formerly NRA-PVF endorsed ranking minority member Justin Moed)? Fill their inboxes but expect nothing. ConC got ONE Dem "Yea" vote and I think they hit the wrong button.

When sending emails to the committee members supporting ConC (click the name of the committee member, click send email, repeat) have what you want to send, copy/paste and press on.

When bills get assigned to committees watch this thread for draft emails for specific bills. Copy/paste/edit/mix/match/send/repeat. It is important to let our elected officials know we are out here.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    From my SUPER SECRET INSIDE SOURCE: don't look for any bills until the session starts :(

Look for things to happen fast.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    The Senate finally got their committees up. Judiciary Committee looks a lot like last year, unfortunately it has the same Chair who wouldn't schedule ConC a hearing last year. I have to say a big flag went up for me last year when I saw Eric Koch (current ranking member) was replaced by someone not endorsed by NRA-ILA.

The other R's: I have no issues. Aaron Freeman is on the committee and is as solid of a 2A supporter as we have. If ConC gets a hearing? It'll pass in the committee.

The D's are three antis. Lonnie Randolph is a disgusting excuse for a human being and completely devoid of any respectable characteristics. Tim Lanane is a waste of time. And the third? Senator Greg "Obtuse" Taylor.

Note to self: ask NRA-ILA POC why Senator Obtuse is an NRA-ILA "D" and not an "F" like the other two on this committee.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    On the Senate side: WE’VE GOT BILLS!!

Play the legislative sounder!

More to follow later tonight after I give them a read.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Well, here we go!

Senate Bill (SB) 14 Synopsis:

Firearms matters. Makes the current offense of carrying a handgun without a license applicable only to persons who are at least 18 years of age but less than 21 years of age. Allows certain persons who are at least 21 years of age to possess or carry a handgun without a license unless the person fits into one of several categories, including a person who: (1) has been convicted of, or arrested for, specified crimes or delinquent offenses; (2) has been prohibited by a court from possessing a handgun or has been found by a court to be dangerous; or (3) has been found by a court to be mentally incompetent, has been involuntarily committed, or has been the subject of a 90 day or regular commitment. Allows certain persons who: (1) do not meet the requirements to receive a license to carry a handgun; and (2) are not otherwise barred from carrying or possessing a handgun by state law; to carry a handgun in specified instances. Makes it a Class A misdemeanor for particular persons to possess or carry a handgun. Increases the penalty to a Level 5 felony in some instances. Defines certain terms. Makes conforming amendments and repeals obsolete provisions. Makes a technical correction.

Author is Jim Tomes who we know is a staunch 2A supporter. Also listed as authors are Blake Doriot (no issues here) and Liz Brown (yes, the Liz Brown who is the Chair of the Judiciary Committee who wouldn't call HB 1369 for hearing last year. Blood pressure is back down now.)

Is this Constitutional Carry of Handguns? Here's the short version: Yes*. There is an asterisk because if you are over 18 but less than 21, you must have a LTCH to lawfully carry a handgun (existing exceptions for on your property, at a range, in training, permission of the property owner still apply.) The term "limited carrier" now covers this plus transporting unloaded, in a case if you have no LTCH and are under 21.

Restrictions that currently exist for receiving a LTCH such as alcohol or drug abuser remain under this bill.

Authorization for those with a protective order sworn out against an abuser to carry without a LTCH (became law in 2017) still applies to those over 18 but not 21.

If you are a prohibited possessor under 18 USC 922g, you can't carry a handgun (that makes sense.)

An "optional license to carry a handgun" (sounds a lot like reciprocity license as we've heard before from bills introduced by 2A supporters such as Jim Lucas) has the same criteria as the current LTCH. You'll need this when crossing lines on a map.

I've said this before, I'm a random dude from Hendricks County who needed a hobby. I'm also blessed that I can be at the Statehouse in 20 minutes and I have a metric ****-ton of use-or-lose leave.

This ain't everything we looked for in ConC, but I will be there to testify in support.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    But wait , there's more!

SB 15 (Jim Tomes)
    Government acquisition and disposition of firearms. Specifies that a law enforcement agency having possession of a firearm may not destroy the firearm unless the serial number of the firearm was obliterated at the time the law enforcement agency took custody of it. Prohibits a local unit of government, including a law enforcement agency, from conducting a firearm buyback program.

I like it!

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    From the despicable Lonnie Randolph. If this sees the light of day in the Corrections and Criminal Law committee I'll be there to oppose. What other Constitutional Rights will you trade for another?

Prohibition of firearms at polling places. Prohibits a person from carrying a firearm in, on, or near: (1) a chute; (2) polls; (3) areas where voters congregate or are likely to congregate; or (4) any room where ballots are being counted. Provides that the offense is a Class C misdemeanor. Enhances the offense to a: (1) Class A misdemeanor if the person has a prior unrelated conviction for the offense; or (2) Level 6 felony if the person points the firearm at another person. Specifies: (1) a defense; and (2) certain notice requirements. Prohibits certain other defenses. Defines certain terms. Makes conforming amendments.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    From the despicable Lonnie Randolph. If this sees the light of day in the Corrections and Criminal Law committee I'll be there to oppose. What other Constitutional Rights will you trade for another?

Prohibition of firearms at polling places. Prohibits a person from carrying a firearm in, on, or near: (1) a chute; (2) polls; (3) areas where voters congregate or are likely to congregate; or (4) any room where ballots are being counted. Provides that the offense is a Class C misdemeanor. Enhances the offense to a: (1) Class A misdemeanor if the person has a prior unrelated conviction for the offense; or (2) Level 6 felony if the person points the firearm at another person. Specifies: (1) a defense; and (2) certain notice requirements. Prohibits certain other defenses. Defines certain terms. Makes conforming amendments.
    What the holy hell? This past presidential election I stood in line for 2 1/2 hours behind the Brownsburg Fire Territory HQ having nice chats with the folks around me and various law enforcement officers to pass the time until I got to vote. And I was openly carrying the whole time. Miraculously enough, my Glock never decided to jump out of its holster and go on a killing spree.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom