• ...and so much more!
  • 42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i haven't loaded my new 95 gr vlds yet. i may be a little anal about my reloads but i weigh each bullet before i load any and divide them into groups to load in batches. i usually get a few 10ths diffrence in a box, but not my bergers. out of a box of 100 i had 2 weights of 94.9 and one of 50.1 and those 3 could have been my scale. or i guess the other 97 could have been my scale but what ever they were all i was looking for was uniformaty.

im hopping to get you folks a range report this fine weekend.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I weigh and segregate my 1000 yard bullets too. Bergers are usually very consistent just like you experienced, Sierras usually get into three weight groups, and Lapuas are the worst with 5 or more weight groups.

500 bullet batches segregated by .1 grain.

BTW, Bergers typically don't handle a lot of jump for best accuracy. I usually soft seat them in my bolt guns so I don't worry about jump.

Are you anywhere near Ft Wayne for some range time?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    when are you looking to test them out this weekend? I am considering driving to liberty.

saturday or suday. i can get about 350 yds until next week when it drys out enough to plant. i would love to have some company if you make it this way. im flexible on the day its susposto be a great weekend. if you wanted to look at your trees or shoot at your place that would be fine with me

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I weigh and segregate my 1000 yard bullets too. Bergers are usually very consistent just like you experienced, Sierras usually get into three weight groups, and Lapuas are the worst with 5 or more weight groups.

500 bullet batches segregated by .1 grain.

BTW, Bergers typically don't handle a lot of jump for best accuracy. I usually soft seat them in my bolt guns so I don't worry about jump.

Are you anywhere near Ft Wayne for some range time?

no i never make it up there. i wish i did. indygunworks has offered some guidance since im new to precise long range shooting but ill take all the help i can get.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    fyi, I won several hundred berger 30 cal and 22 cal bullets a year ago and was all fired up to really improve my groups.
    My 308 custom showed about the same groups as with my 155 palma's and my custom 223 opened up 1/2 inch. I was shocked I knew that barrels like the bullets they like and thats it but I was reminded of that with this little action

I guess I'm just trying to say don't break the bank on something better until you try a little dose of it.
    I'm back to shooting sierra

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    What twist is you bbl, vette?

thats the thing that worries me. my barrel is a 1-10 so im not sure it will twist fast enough for the bullet. if it doesn't work my uncle has a 243 with a 1-8 that he wants me to work up a round for so im hopping if my gun cant stablize them his will.

im trying to avoid the whole "well now i have to buy a gun that will twist faster so my bullets dont go to waste" everyone laughs but ive bought guns before so i could shoot a 10 dollar box of ammo i had laying around. im a sick man

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Load up a hundred or so and shoot the long range match at Camp Atterbury on Sunday 4/26. Shoot your scope on a bipod or rest in "F" class. There is usually several "F" class rifles there.

Sign up is 0700 to 0745. First shot at 0800. Email Sue Mogle at CIHPRS Home to get on the gate list by Thursday evening.

Let me know if you are coming. I'll get us squadded on the same target.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    thats the thing that worries me. my barrel is a 1-10 so im not sure it will twist fast enough for the bullet. if it doesn't work my uncle has a 243 with a 1-8 that he wants me to work up a round for so im hopping if my gun cant stablize them his will.

im trying to avoid the whole "well now i have to buy a gun that will twist faster so my bullets dont go to waste" everyone laughs but ive bought guns before so i could shoot a 10 dollar box of ammo i had laying around. im a sick man

*THE* long range bullet in 6mm right now is the 115gr DTAC developed by David Tubb. I looked yesterday and they recommend 8 or 9 twist barrels to stabilize.

If your current tube shoots the <100 gr pills well at the distances you want, then no worries. If not, you may just consider having it re-barreled to a faster twist to take advantage of the higher b.c. 6mm bullets.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    *THE* long range bullet in 6mm right now is the 115gr DTAC developed by David Tubb. I looked yesterday and they recommend 8 or 9 twist barrels to stabilize.

If your current tube shoots the <100 gr pills well at the distances you want, then no worries. If not, you may just consider having it re-barreled to a faster twist to take advantage of the higher b.c. 6mm bullets.

actually i found a 6.5x284 custom prohunter barrel for 300 that i would love to have

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Load up a hundred or so and shoot the long range match at Camp Atterbury on Sunday 4/26. Shoot your scope on a bipod or rest in "F" class. There is usually several "F" class rifles there.

Sign up is 0700 to 0745. First shot at 0800. Email Sue Mogle at CIHPRS Home to get on the gate list by Thursday evening.

Let me know if you are coming. I'll get us squadded on the same target.

i would love to do a 1000 yd shoot but know i wont be ready by then. i have only shot 3 rounds at 250 with this gun and none further than that. plus that was with a completly diffrent load. im hoping to try f class by next summer since i just started reloading about 6 months ago. i appriciate the offer though and if something goes right and im ready this year ill take you up on it, but 1000 yds is a long ways and ive only shot 500 yds a handful of times in my life as all my experience is hunting related.

Top Bottom