• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    Hey folks......I started this thread to see if anyone experiences the same issues that I do using a Surefire x300 mounted to their pistol.

I own several x300's and love them in the 12oclock position on my rifles. The issues comes in when I put one on my pistols. I have mounted and tested the x300 on a variety of handguns including Glock 19, 9mm PPQ, and M&P45. I always carry a torch on my reaction side pocket, and have trained to use it in lowlight scenarios with my preference being a neck index and FBI technique. I like the idea of a weapon mounted light for certain situations, especially in a home defense gun.

The issue comes into play with the activation of the x300 in momentary use while firing. For those who don't know, the x300 uses an ambi pressure switch for momentary activation. With a thumbs forward grip, you simply apply forward pressure with your support thumb to activate the light. It seems that I have a hard time managing recoil and am forced to push into the switch quite hard to keep it activated during a string of firing. In turn, this will beat the heck out of my thumb and and more importantly, by accuracy suffers from the compensation of my support hand. This has not been an issue while using a similar application on my rifles. I believe it is because I can better control the recoil with my wrap around grip and a shouldered rifle.

Anyway, do any of you have similar issues with the x300 on a pistol? Are their any suggestions for mitigating the problem?

I have considered buying a TLR-1 (used for years in the past), but really wanted to get my x300's to work for me.

I am also open to other weapon light recommendations.....the more compact the better:)

Thanks,

Tony

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I've run an X300 on my Glock 22 since they were first released and had an X200 before that. For most of that time I used a DG switch which activated the light be applying pressure with the middle finger of my strong hand as it gripped the frame of the gun. I have now gone back to using the rocker switch.

As I'm sure you know the rocker switch has two functions. Pushing forward on the paddles offers momentary on, rotating the paddle up or down provides constant on. I use momentary on if I am searching and don't want to give away my position constantly as I move. When it is time to shoot I rotate the paddle for constant on and leave it on until I am finished shooting. This allows me to avoid beating my thumb up during recoil.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    I've run an X300 on my Glock 22 since they were first released and had an X200 before that. For most of that time I used a DG switch which activated the light be applying pressure with the middle finger of my strong hand as it gripped the frame of the gun. I have now gone back to using the rocker switch.

As I'm sure you know the rocker switch has two functions. Pushing forward on the paddles offers momentary on, rotating the paddle up or down provides constant on. I use momentary on if I am searching and don't want to give away my position constantly as I move. When it is time to shoot I rotate the paddle for constant on and leave it on until I am finished shooting. This allows me to avoid beating my thumb up during recoil.

That makes sense.......do you use your support hand thumb to flip the toggle?

I think it's time for some drills so I can get used to toggling the light on and off when engaging fire, rather than relying on momentary 100% of the time. Seems like such an obvious answer:) I suppose I am used to a separate light where I only use a momentary function.

Thanks

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    I use my support hand thumb to toggle my TLR-1 on. I don't use the momentary function, I do not want to be muzzling things while I'm searching for something. That what my flashlight for.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Illuminate someone with a gun pointed at you and it's gonna take a lifetime (quite literally) to bring that handgun up where you need it to defend yourself. I don't use my weapon lights as flashlights and agree that they serve two very different purposes. If I need a flashlight I don't need a gun in my hand, if I need a gun in my hand I'd prefer to use a weapon light.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Illuminate someone with a gun pointed at you and it's gonna take a lifetime (quite literally) to bring that handgun up where you need it to defend yourself. I don't use my weapon lights as flashlights and agree that they serve two very different purposes. If I need a flashlight I don't need a gun in my hand, if I need a gun in my hand I'd prefer to use a weapon light.
    I total agree with you! My post was about using the momentary switch on a weapons light. A flashlight would serve you better.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    I use my support hand thumb to toggle my TLR-1 on. I don't use the momentary function, I do not want to be muzzling things while I'm searching for something. That what my flashlight for.

Momentary can be an effective tool when engaging or identifying a known threat. I'm not transitioning to a flashlight when my gun is out and I have a weapon light on it. The gun is out for a reason :)

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I total agree with you! My post was about using the momentary switch on a weapons light. A flashlight would serve you better.

I don't think you are. If I'm in a position where I feel the use of momentary on is advisable I'm going to have my gun in my hand. If I have my gun in my hand I'm going to be using the light on the gun. I shoot much better with both hands on the gun, I don't want a flashlight in my support hand if I can avoid it.

The only time I would use the momentary on ability of a flashlight would be if I were caught without a weapon and need occasional light to get to it.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I don't think you are. If I'm in a position where I feel the use of momentary on is advisable I'm going to have my gun in my hand. If I have my gun in my hand I'm going to be using the light on the gun. I shoot much better with both hands on the gun, I don't want a flashlight in my support hand if I can avoid it.

The only time I would use the momentary on ability of a flashlight would be if I were caught without a weapon and need occasional light to get to it.

Do you think that LEO's have a different perspective on this than non-LEO's?

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Do you think that LEO's have a different perspective on this than non-LEO's?
    He answered, so I'm not answering for him, but if I'm going "momentary" it's on my weapon light, so I am already pointing my weapon somewhere. If I feel the need for light all the time, my gun is not drawn, and I'm using my handheld. The X300 switch gives me both options, albeit, one option breaks the 4 rules. So, for me, momentary means the gun is drawn, and I have not fired yet, constant on is for my pocket light.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    He answered, so I'm not answering for him, but if I'm going "momentary" it's on my weapon light, so I am already pointing my weapon somewhere. If I feel the need for light all the time, my gun is not drawn, and I'm using my handheld. The X300 switch gives me both options, albeit, one option breaks the 4 rules. So, for me, momentary means the gun is drawn, and I have not fired yet, constant on is for my pocket light.

That's why I asked. I would assume that LEO's would have a different mindset and more importantly skillset than you and I?
    We all train, but may not have the real world experience to separate innocents from threats with the front sight on them?

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    I use the toggle for momentary on with my support thumb.

I can swtich it off just as quickly and if i have to shoot and use my support hand immediately (like someone comes around the corner or i have to protect my head against an assailant that is on me instantly) i can withdraw that support hand without turning my lighht off.

I routinely (several times a year at least) shoot in complete darkness so i have to use the light. It can be awkward if you havent done it, especially when shooting on the move.

In other words i never use the momentary on bu pushing forward.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    So in the last week, I have been doing a few practice drills of sorts with some of the above mentioned advice. I suppose like anything, it's all about getting the reps in. I am definitely getting more comfortable turning that switch on and off when simulating a firing sequence. It will be interesting to try it with live fire in the future.

Thanks for sharing your techniques folks!

Top Bottom