Wrestling/Grappling Skills - Necessarily?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    If you allow to guy grab you while you’re in possession of a firearm, that gun belongs to both of you, and the fight is for who gets to keep it.
    Yes, you need to know how to handle yourself accordingly.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I agree.

What if you don't allow it but it happens anyway? That's the scenario that concerns me. :-p
    There’s a fight for the gun. Think back to Zimmerman/Martin. Not going into the specifics, but once the altercation went hands on, the fight is for the gun... even if the other party doesn’t know you have one. It one of the things officers have drilled into their heads concerning weapon retention. And note, that if you lose that fight (while having a firearm) you might just lose your life.

hoosierfishing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 17, 2010
    The importance of developing a defensive "fence" is multiplied 100 times over when a gun is involved. Its eye opening to train grappling and then to introduce a firearm into the training. Once they are past your "fence", all bets are off IMO.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    So I guess I should give a better answer. Necessary? No not necessary, optimal. Why do I say not necessary? You have people all over this country defending themselves daily with a firearm who have absolutely no grappling or hand-to-hand skills. Which way would my 5'5, 120 lb, 70-year-old mother be more likely to effectively defend herself? With a firearm, or with her hands? If you look at the 60 plus student shootings of Tom Givens you will find that only one of them had any physical contact and that was incidental. I very much dislike how he poo poos the idea of a firearm being the great equalizer. Those of us who don't die young will eventually get to the point where going hands on would best be avoided at all costs.

Now do I think that the things he covers are important? Absolutely. Do I think it is ultra important for uniform police officers or other types of people whose profession it is to go in harm's way? Definitely. Is it important for non-professionals who open carry a firearm? Yes though in my mind those people are less likely to train this than more likely. Is it important for others who carry a firearm in a concealed manner? Yes still important. However we know that most people don't practice enough with a gun, so they definitely aren't going to practice this stuff enough. We talk about that in our class.

Don't get me wrong, this is valuable material and I wish everyone who carried a firearm for defensive purposes would train it, but necessary? No at least not across the board

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Lotta food for thought in that video, even if you aren't a grappler.

Couple ingrained hand to hand moves might just make the difference when you find yourself too close to "I'll just shoot them."

paintman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    new castle indiana
    I put both of my kids in judo. It was more so for my daughter as I just don’t trust the world but I want my son to be able to handle himself as well. After watching I saw a whole new world of self defense. And it’s pretty brutal for the person it’s being done on. I would highly recommend it.

I will throw in a slight brag that my daughter recently won the state championship for 10 year old girls novice division.

Sitcomdad83

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 19, 2021
    Indiana
    Good video I'm 5'4 and 145 lbs so grappling is tough for me. Been boxing for 20+ years so my footwork and spacial awareness is good but everytime I hit the mat it seems though it's likely more mental I'm in a just survive mode add a firearm and it's overwhelming to thing about.

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    If you are really serious about self defense you should be training some sort physical martial art beyond just the handling of firearms.

Grappling or Brazilian Jiu-jitsu would be a great option (and you don't have to be in good shape to train)

Just like the video guy demonstrates, you can get man handled before you have the opportunity to get to your firearm.
    And if that happens the fight is on, and with no physical training you could lose (and lose bad)

Most cities will have a local BJJ school and let me tell you, the training is worth it and might save your life.
    If you don't have the time, get yourself a heavy bag or a speed bag and learn to strike at a minimum.

Last edited:

Dingleberry

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 12, 2021
    Indiana
    Most attacks are very quick and close. The assailant has the advantage of surprise and no conscious.

Situational awareness is more important than most everything.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.

Once again good information for the context he is giving. However, no matter how many times he says things don't happen a certain way doesn't change the fact that they do indeed happen that way. The most common way for a normal person to be involved in a gunfight is as a "victim" of an armed robbery type event. During these event the bad guy does indeed stand at a distance (most commonly seen as 3-5 yards) and announce his evil intentions. We see it all of the time in videos and we read it all of the time in accounts. If I am a bad guy and using a weapon, whether it be gun, knife, bat, whatever it is so I can get compliance through fear and uneven armament without having to go hands on.

Dingleberry

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 12, 2021
    Indiana
    Define that please.

I'm saying your average person won't see an attack coming. The attacker has surprise on his side and he does not care who he hurts.
    The smallest to the biggest person can have situational awareness and prevail more often than not.

And in your video it is using shooting from law enforcement not civilians from what I heard. And it's a very broad set of statistics not very detailed.
    LAPD 0-6 ft 21 %

Make sense? I am no expert and have never played one on TV. Mainly conversations with inmates.

Last edited:

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I'm saying your average person won't see an attack coming. The attacker has surprise on his side and he does not care who he hurts.
    The smallest to the biggest person can have situational awareness and prevail more often than not.

And in your video it is using shooting from law enforcement not civilians from what I heard. And it's a very broad set of statistics not very detailed.
    LAPD 0-6 ft 21 %

Make sense? I am no expert and have never played one on TV. Mainly conversations with inmates.
    Thanks for the reply. Situational awarenesses is very important but it has also become a buzzword that most people talk about but don't implement. Even with great SA things can still go sideways. Crap happens .

I think you missed the point of the video and that is what I was asking you about. The video is all about trying to figure distances out for regular people not LE.

Top Bottom