• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    My uncle has a Detroit pd m&p shield. He got it from the police auction because they had too many, and it handles nice and shoots beautifully. I was thinking one of the regular ones from a store would be a pretty nice option.
    Only difference between a police trade-in and one from the store is the round count. LEAs carry stock firearms with the exception of some SWAT teams, and ai doubt any SWAT team would be issued Shields.

Mike_wood11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2023
    Goshen
    Only difference between a police trade-in and one from the store is the round count. LEAs carry stock firearms with the exception of some SWAT teams, and ai doubt any SWAT team would be issued Shields.
    I wasn’t too sure what the difference between the two were, I just know I’d rather go to a store and be done in 30 mins then hassle with an auction lol

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    My buddy has that exact handgun and it truly is a beautiful piece of metal. It shot about 100-150 rounds no problem. It was a beauty but was definitely a bit pricey lol.
    Honestly it’s a deal for what you get. You can get one off Gunbroker for a little under $800 after shipping & transfer fees. The Salient Arms barrel in that gun alone comes in at $350 if you buy it after-market.

Mike_wood11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2023
    Goshen
    Honestly it’s a deal for what you get. You can get one off Gunbroker for a little under $800 after shipping & transfer fees. The Salient Arms barrel in that gun alone comes in at $350 if you buy it after-market.
    He payed about 800 for his. Id say it was worth every penny

Mike_wood11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2023
    Goshen
    Canik is producing quality firearms for the money right now. They used to be known for producing clones but have really stepped it up a notch. I imagine it won’t be long before they start to go up in price.
    Might have to throw in the towel and get one before they do, they to seem to only grow in popularity and quality.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Find a range that has a rental wall. Ask before you go whether you can switch guns during your range time. Some ranges allow you to trade out and try different guns during your hour. If they say no, find another range that does.

Go to that range and try shooting various quality guns from the rental wall. You will find one that feels good in your hand and naturally points. Others you might not shoot well at all.
    Freedom Arms in northwest Fort Wayne has a good variety of items to rent...all within 90 minutes from your location?

bf5565

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2011
    Elkhart
    I’d have to save that everyone is going to have different opinions on this. There are so many great carry guns out on the market in todays world. 9/10 local ranges/ stores will have a wall that has demos on it. Back in the day we had a range here and they had a wall and u paid like $25 and they allowed you to demo them. But that range has now **** down. I’d have to agree with the previous mention that the Glock 19 is a very very popular carry and I know quite a few people who carry Springfield armory’s as well.

Morgan12

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2023
    Illinois
    First find a place to rent or try out a friends. Next it really depends on how you plan on carrying. I’d even get a holster to wear around for a week or so before you even decide on the gun. You may find out it’s uncomfortable to carry in that position such as appendix. I have lots of handguns but honestly the number one gun I carry is a Kahr CM9. It’s probably the only true pocket carry 9mm that I wouldn’t feel bad about lossing if I had to use it I have found. Maybe the Sig 938 but I carry one in the pipe and I do y want to worry about a safety or cocking a hammer when I need it. Another is the j frame they hide very well in the pocket. Why pocket carry it’s just easier I can toss it in my gym shorts with out having to strap up. I can keep my hands in my pocket and no one thinks about it. I don’t have to put in a stinking holster any time I wanna go out or printing in the summer with just a tshirt on. The Kahr is cheap if lord forbid I had to use it (never get it back) or some cop wants to secure my gun due info a traffic stop and drops it. My other primary carry gun is a Glock 26 parts all over will accept any mag that fits any 9mm Glock and if you want you can get grip extensions to fill the gap between the 15 or 17 round mags. I have a 17 but never really carry it. I like the fact the 26 has the shorter grip it makes it easier to hide. It’s a Glock parts all over the place. I carry in the 4 o’clock position pretty comfy in a king tuck or a stow and go. I have a browning high power and czs I shoot way better with but honestly I’m comfortable with my 26 and don’t mind it getting scuffed up.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    If this is going to be you're only primary handgun for awhile then start out with something with a good track record for reliability. That can be done without spending $800 or more. I personally wouldn't recommend boutique type guns for your one and only. It needs to be utilitarian. A $350 barrel isn't going to do you any better than a factory glock or M&P barrel at handgun distances for defensive purposes.

Mike_wood11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2023
    Goshen
    I’d have to save that everyone is going to have different opinions on this. There are so many great carry guns out on the market in todays world. 9/10 local ranges/ stores will have a wall that has demos on it. Back in the day we had a range here and they had a wall and u paid like $25 and they allowed you to demo them. But that range has now **** down. I’d have to agree with the previous mention that the Glock 19 is a very very popular carry and I know quite a few people who carry Springfield armory’s as well.
    I agree completely, but personally I just don’t really like glocks. They’re good guns I just don’t like em. It seems a m&p shield is what I’m gonna go with

planedriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    gone
    All of these guys are right saying to try before you buy. Remember, the cool factor isn’t a factor. Buy what you will carry and fits how you normally dress. IE: lifeguards at the beach don’t carry desert eagles…….

Mike_wood11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2023
    Goshen
    If this is going to be you're only primary handgun for awhile then start out with something with a good track record for reliability. That can be done without spending $800 or more. I personally wouldn't recommend boutique type guns for your one and only. It needs to be utilitarian. A $350 barrel isn't going to do you any better than a factory glock or M&P barrel at handgun distances for defensive purposes.
    I’m thinking I’m gonna end up getting another smith & Wesson. Because like you said I’m not really looking for an expensive boutique gun. I just want something reliable and comfortable.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    All of these guys are right saying to try before you buy. Remember, the cool factor isn’t a factor. Buy what you will carry and fits how you normally dress. IE: lifeguards at the beach don’t carry desert eagles…….
    Yep. My full size 1911 was a beautiful tack driver. But it was damn heavy and I hated to scuff her up. So I never carried it.
    Now my G19 is accurate enough, and it shoots reliably. And is easy to carry. So thats what I go with. (and she's got the battle scars to show for it.

bf5565

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2011
    Elkhart
    I agree completely, but personally I just don’t really like glocks. They’re good guns I just don’t like em. It seems a m&p shield is what I’m gonna go w
    I agree completely, but personally I just don’t really like glocks. They’re good guns I just don’t like em. It seems a m&p shield is what I’m gonna go with
    Hey shields are nice firearms nothing against them what so ever. I own one and shoot and carry it still. Sig also makes phenomenal pistols as well. But as far as the shield goes it’s a super solid platform and carries very well.

Mike_wood11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2023
    Goshen
    I agree completely, the only thing that matters to me is reliability and comfort. I don’t want a gun that’s known to jam, and I don’t want one that doesn’t feel good in my hands

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I carry a Shield Plus with the 13rd mag. Spare 15rd in the pocket. It does what I need it to do. I personally leave the more race type stuff for range

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    Midwest is a newer gun range that rents next to Glenbrook mall in Fort Wayne. They have a pretty good selection of rentals and firearms for sale. I haven't been in Freedom in years. Last I checked they were a little higher than most shops around.

I have a Hellcat Pro and the wife carries a Glock 43X. I have put a few rounds thru each gun and both are comfortable to shoot and small enough for EDC. We did convert the 43X to SA magazines which brings it up to the Hellcat at 15+1.

Top Bottom